Author Topic: Trade Idea: BOS/ORL/LAL  (Read 5557 times)

Re: Trade Idea: BOS/ORL/LAL
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 02:37:58 PM »

Offline p-peazy

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0
Yeah this seems like a trade that might look a certain way on paper but would definitely ruin chemistry.  I think KG is extremely valuable in ways that go unnoticed very easily, look at the way the Perk trade ruined what we had going last year.  I'd actually much rather have KG than Gasol.  I think some people forget that our team is a group of guys, it's not nba2k12.

Plus given the way we're playing I see no reason to blow anything up we've been playing like contenders.  

I hope Dwight Howard comes to the Celtics not the Lakers.  Why not?  I remember two year ago everyone drank the cool aid that LeBron was "locked" for New York then he winds up on the Heat.  Dwight could play here in fact I believe we're the right team for him.

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 02:43:40 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I guess I disagree that Gasol wouldn't push this team to a higher level.  He's much better offensively than KG is.  Pau is a player who you can isolate on 90% of the NBA PFs on a nightly basis.  KG is a player who you can isolate on 20-30% of NBA PFs and I haven't seen him able to string together 3 straight games of good offensive performances for a few years now.  Pau is a terrific pick and roll player as well (slightly better than KG) which would help Rondo's offensive game also.  I think he'd do a lot for this offense, which is currently 17th in Off-Rating.  KG isn't the defender he once was, so I don't think any defensive drop off would be as great as the offensive improvement.  That's admittedly a pretty subjective statement though.

More importantly, I like this for the next few years where Pau will still be productive and KG won't, and as Who mentioned, we still have other pieces/options in place to work with.  All to stay competitive (while maybe not a true contender) and delay rebuilding.  That core would still be a fun 50-win team to watch.

What you get offensively (3 points a game and 7% on FG %) you give up defensively.

That's a pretty simplistic way to look at it.  You also get a better passer and an offensive option that you can rely on to carry the load if Pierce is injured or on the bench.  We currently don't have any players like that.

Except KG is the better passer.

And Gasol is not caring the load.  Even though he is taking the same amount of shots per game, his scoring is down 2 points a game. 

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 03:06:54 PM »

Offline Celticjay

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
For this trade I just don't see why they would need to include Boston.  Essentially it is Pau for KG.  I guess it would be a good fit but since he could play outside with Howard down low but really doesn't need to be included..

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 02:27:06 AM »

Offline Rondoesit

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 0
Dude, even with Pau in LA, Dwight Howard won't be third scoring option. He'll be 2nd.

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 04:22:44 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
No. We still have a very longshot of landing Howard with our cap space (not that I believe he'll be here but its a longshot). Having Pau will kill it, and most likely kill any chance of atleast getting a high tier or near all star lever or even a solid starter talent.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 08:52:16 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Angles of positivity:
-Pau has been struggling in Mike Brown's new LAL offense
-Dwight no longer has gripes about being 3rd offensive option
-LAL becomes dominant defensively at the 2-5 positions
-This trade absolutely improves Boston talent-wise
-Orlando's best alternative option is to wait until the trade deadline and accept similar version of this trade without the LAC draft pick included

Where people will disagree:
-Stubborn (and illogical) refusal to trade with LAL period
-Stubborn and illogical refusal trade away KG for Pau when Pau is a clearly better player right now and still has something left in the tank going forward
-Refusal to assist LAL in getting Dwight (somewhat understandable, but I'd rather him go anywhere West than somewhere East)
-Unwillingness to make LAL better (very understandable)
-Delays the rebuilding phase (which I personally WANT to delay)

==>all these points do is show bias on where you want people to agree with you. 
None of the positives are positives for Boston.  You're making an assumption on the one you mention for the C's.  I don't agree that Pau is an improvement over KG for this team.  He's younger and that's about it.  He's definitely not worth KG AND a #1 pick in this draft.

All of your negatives are clearly written to imply any disagreement with your assessment of the situation has to be mental/emotional issue with that person.  Every one of these points is something I would consider a good reason not to do this deal because it either helps LA or is based on your belief Pau is the better player (which is debatable).

for the record, I wouldn't do a deal that helps Dwight get to LA or any deal that helps the Lakers compete for a title (much less many titles which is what could result from this deal).  I'm not against deals that actually improve the title chances this year or going forward but this isn't really it.  Pau just keeps us treading water.

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 01:30:50 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Boston isn't necessary to this deal if all we're sending to the Magic is the Clippers pick.  Why wouldn't LA just keep Gasol and send the Mavs pick in addition to their own?
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 08:49:02 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Angles of positivity:
-Pau has been struggling in Mike Brown's new LAL offense
-Dwight no longer has gripes about being 3rd offensive option
-LAL becomes dominant defensively at the 2-5 positions
-This trade absolutely improves Boston talent-wise
-Orlando's best alternative option is to wait until the trade deadline and accept similar version of this trade without the LAC draft pick included

Where people will disagree:
-Stubborn (and illogical) refusal to trade with LAL period
-Stubborn and illogical refusal trade away KG for Pau when Pau is a clearly better player right now and still has something left in the tank going forward
-Refusal to assist LAL in getting Dwight (somewhat understandable, but I'd rather him go anywhere West than somewhere East)
-Unwillingness to make LAL better (very understandable)
-Delays the rebuilding phase (which I personally WANT to delay)

==>all these points do is show bias on where you want people to agree with you. 
None of the positives are positives for Boston.  You're making an assumption on the one you mention for the C's.  I don't agree that Pau is an improvement over KG for this team.  He's younger and that's about it.  He's definitely not worth KG AND a #1 pick in this draft.

All of your negatives are clearly written to imply any disagreement with your assessment of the situation has to be mental/emotional issue with that person.  Every one of these points is something I would consider a good reason not to do this deal because it either helps LA or is based on your belief Pau is the better player (which is debatable).

Ditto

Boston isn't necessary to this deal if all we're sending to the Magic is the Clippers pick.  Why wouldn't LA just keep Gasol and send the Mavs pick in addition to their own?

ditto

The two above are exactly right.
You're saying whoever criticizes this idea is doing it on an emotional basis, not logically.
Secondly, why would LA trade Pau for KG and a pick if they think Pau is better now (or if you think Pau is better?).
Why do LA or Orlando need Boston to be involved?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.