Author Topic: Anybody Else Worried and How I'd Fix It  (Read 7110 times)

Re: Anybody Else Worried and How I'd Fix It
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2023, 05:07:05 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
The Portland trade would have been interesting.  That said, Scoot isn't ready.  I think it would have downgraded our chances in the present.  I think the only way the Celtics could have lived with that is if they were being overpaid.

For instance, JB for Simons + Sharpe + #3 + 2029 swap rights

Moot now.  No trades for one year.

Oh I would have loved that trade from Portland you put up even more.  I mainly wanted the trade with Portland because Jaylen isn't worth the money he just got paid.  I know it's all done by the CBA and all but no player is worth 52 million a year and going up to just shy of 70 million a year.  You can't build a legit team around 2 players making that kind of money.  That's why I would have rather Simons and Henderson all day over Brown.

So then I assume you'd be looking to trade Henderson before his contract finishes? Because even a normal max for a player with less than 7 years experience in his FA year (2027) will be just shy of $50 million in year one. For a full 5 year contract you're looking at 5/$289, just $14 million shy of what Brown signed for. If he qualifies for a designated rookie extension, that becomes almost $60 million year one and 5/$346 overall.

If you want to argue that Brown getting 35% of the cap is too much, go ahead. But ignoring the reality of the increasing salary cap is just sticking your head in the sand. As long as the NBA keeps bringing in more money, the players are gonna get their share through increasing salaries. The numbers might make you uncomfortable, but that's the reality of NBA salaries going forward.

Your assumption is wrong of wanting to trade Scoot Henderson before the contract ends.  I am arguing that 35% of the cap being to Jaylen Brown right now is going to be the problem.  Since I don't think Brown give us the amount of wins and a title chance to be worth that kind of money.  I rather have Simons and Henderson combined salary be less then what Brown makes to add more pieces to the roster.  The salary will keep going up and I know that but as the Celtics sit right now, I think Brown was an overpay since we don't have enough other pieces.
Trading JB for a raw unproven teenager is basically waving the white flag and punting on any championship aspirations. Might as well tell JT to pack his bags for LA or Miami at that point as well because there would be zero point giving him a supermax deal to be part of a rebuild.

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2023, 08:45:36 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
The Portland trade would have been interesting.  That said, Scoot isn't ready.  I think it would have downgraded our chances in the present.  I think the only way the Celtics could have lived with that is if they were being overpaid.

Oh I would have loved that trade from Portland you put up even more.  I mainly wanted the trade with Portland because Jaylen isn't worth the money he just got paid.  I know it's all done by the CBA and all but no player is worth 52 million a year and going up to just shy of 70 million a year.  You can't build a legit team around 2 players making that kind of money.  That's why I would have rather Simons and Henderson all day over Brown.

So then I assume you'd be looking to trade Henderson before his contract finishes? Because even a normal max for a player with less than 7 years experience in his FA year (2027) will be just shy of $50 million in year one. For a full 5 year contract you're looking at 5/$289, just $14 million shy of what Brown signed for. If he qualifies for a designated rookie extension, that becomes almost $60 million year one and 5/$346 overall.

If you want to argue that Brown getting 35% of the cap is too much, go ahead. But ignoring the reality of the increasing salary cap is just sticking your head in the sand. As long as the NBA keeps bringing in more money, the players are gonna get their share through increasing salaries. The numbers might make you uncomfortable, but that's the reality of NBA salaries going forward.

Your assumption is wrong of wanting to trade Scoot Henderson before the contract ends.  I am arguing that 35% of the cap being to Jaylen Brown right now is going to be the problem.  Since I don't think Brown give us the amount of wins and a title chance to be worth that kind of money.  I rather have Simons and Henderson combined salary be less then what Brown makes to add more pieces to the roster.  The salary will keep going up and I know that but as the Celtics sit right now, I think Brown was an overpay since we don't have enough other pieces.
Trading JB for a raw unproven teenager is basically waving the white flag and punting on any championship aspirations. Might as well tell JT to pack his bags for LA or Miami at that point as well because there would be zero point giving him a supermax deal to be part of a rebuild.
Simons plus the teenager.  Simons would have made Boston's offense a lot better.  He is a much better passer and outside shooter than Brown is.  I think both of those things would make the offense work a lot better and that is without adding the mega talent that is Henderson.  Brown is a better defender than Simons, so the team might lose a bit overall on going from Brown to Simons, but I think the addition of Henderson would have more than made up for that.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2023, 10:14:26 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Simons plus the teenager.  Simons would have made Boston's offense a lot better.  He is a much better passer and outside shooter than Brown is.  I think both of those things would make the offense work a lot better and that is without adding the mega talent that is Henderson.  Brown is a better defender than Simons, so the team might lose a bit overall on going from Brown to Simons, but I think the addition of Henderson would have more than made up for that.
What makes Simons a much better passer than Brown? I would say he’s an average passer at best.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2023, 01:16:57 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Some Celtics fan just really can't seem to wrap their minds around the fact that the Celtics re-signing a guy who just made all-nba 2nd team is a good thing.

Its not a question of whether Brown is worth the deal. Maybe he will be, maybe he won't be. The question is whether he's worth more under contract for five years or as an expiring. Then EVEN IF you answer "as an expiring" you also have to make a deal that brings back something that helps you win THIS YEAR, because they were never in a million years trading Brown for some rookie or a bunch of draft picks that would kill their chances next year.

Every team in the league would have offered Brown a 30% max if they could, the difference between that and a 35% max is about 7 million a year. So he is, at most, 7 million a year overpaid. A team trying to win a title should be fine with that. The contract runs through his age 32 season, so the its not like he's going to age into being a bad contract. He plays the most valuable position in the league. The contract is fine providing he doesn't suffer a catastrophic injury.

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2023, 02:44:03 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Some Celtics fan just really can't seem to wrap their minds around the fact that the Celtics re-signing a guy who just made all-nba 2nd team is a good thing.

Its not a question of whether Brown is worth the deal. Maybe he will be, maybe he won't be. The question is whether he's worth more under contract for five years or as an expiring. Then EVEN IF you answer "as an expiring" you also have to make a deal that brings back something that helps you win THIS YEAR, because they were never in a million years trading Brown for some rookie or a bunch of draft picks that would kill their chances next year.

Every team in the league would have offered Brown a 30% max if they could, the difference between that and a 35% max is about 7 million a year. So he is, at most, 7 million a year overpaid. A team trying to win a title should be fine with that. The contract runs through his age 32 season, so the its not like he's going to age into being a bad contract. He plays the most valuable position in the league. The contract is fine providing he doesn't suffer a catastrophic injury.

It's hard for the human brain to evaluate things in the context of opportunity costs. It's much easier to make a judgment about whether player X is worth $Y dollars, and it's usually an arbitrary thing. Like, 10 years ago people probably thought offering $20m to a player was crazy, because the cap was $53m, and because Larry Bird made $7m in 1991 which was the highest salary at that point. Because of cap inflation, salaries have gone up as well. So now thinking about someone who's not a top 5 player making $50m, well there's no way he's worth that, Larry Bird, Jordan etc. not to mention more recent players like Duncan, Dirk, never made that. But it's proportional to the cap, and it's relative to what their market rate is, and it's what the best choice you have in trying to retain a top player - a) let him walk away end of his contract because you don't think he's worth it; b) lowball the offer to what you think he's worth and risk him walking away after; or c) offer him the market rate, or the rate that you will keep him, and retain control over him for the next 5 years as a fungible asset that can then be traded later on.

And because we have his Bird rights is the only reason we can go over the cap to retain him - if we don't do so, given we're already over the cap, even if he walks we would still be over the cap, and we can't find another $30m player out there to replace his salary because we can't sign anyone when we are already over the cap. Do we really think there will be no takers for Jaylen at a supermax if we wanted to get rid of him? Signing him was for financial reasons as much as anything. I just don't see a path where we could have not signed him to a supermax and remained competitive. That would 100% have been a rebuild. And it's also why these top rookies like Scoot, etc. probably won't get traded anywhere, because they will in all likelihood outperform their rookie scale contract. And with Jaylen being a flight risk after this season if we had traded him before his contract expired that would be a huge risk for Portland to end up losing both their promising young guys and Jaylen, and Dame, in the space of a couple of years. I don't know why Portland would do it.

All that said, I can understand the premise that it's better to have promising young players who are getting paid sub-$10m instead of multiple max or supermax contracts, so that you can have more quality players to sign without pushing into the second apron. The caveat being that Jaylen is getting paid a supermax because he has earned the right to be paid one, after years of performing in the league. Simons is in the position Jaylen was when he signed his last contract 4 years ago. If he maintains a similar trajectory to Jaylen he will get paid in 4 years and take up 30% of the cap most likely. In a way their Simons and Scoot are our Jays 4 or 5 years ago. We would be basically saying "well the Jays didn't work out and now they cost too much, let's replace with Scoot and Simons and see if we can win something before we have to pay them maxes." In an ideal world you would keep trading these guys for fresh young blood just before they cost a lot, Belichick style, but you have to get the timing right and they have to be mature and ready to win a chip at the ages that our Jays were 4 years ago in 2018-19  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2023, 02:56:25 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Simons is an inferior player. Smaller, less versatile on defense. Just not as good as JB. Massive step back. I don’t understand why people hate JB. Some people would rather continuously rebuild than actually fight for a championship.

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2023, 07:53:15 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
 Brown can't be traded right now.

I think losing Smart and Grant Williams both are going to hurt us.  We've kind of lost of the abilities to defensive switch.  Smart being a player who could really guard 1-5 depending and never backed down.  Then as much as I'm not a fan of Grant Williams his defense was nice to have 5-3. 

Grant could not defend 5's in any reasonable way.   They shot over him.  Porzingas is way better than Grant.   Losing Smart hurts, but Smart had limitations as well as he got staritis a look and took shots he should have never took.

Grant is also an average defender at best if you look at his defensive rating.    He was the worst big in terms of DTRG that played meaningful minutes against Embiid and Giannis.    We will miss his ability to wear on guys and his fouls.    Hauser should be able to replace that offense.

I am still hoping we sign either Wood or Oubre  with the MLE  or the like , and you'd forget about Grant really fast

I do agree on the team needs a guard, wing/big.

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2023, 09:34:32 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

What makes Simons a much better passer than Brown? I would say he’s an average passer at best.
That is fair for Simons, but Brown is a terrible passer. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2023, 10:11:42 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Brown can't be traded right now.

I think losing Smart and Grant Williams both are going to hurt us.  We've kind of lost of the abilities to defensive switch.  Smart being a player who could really guard 1-5 depending and never backed down.  Then as much as I'm not a fan of Grant Williams his defense was nice to have 5-3. 

Grant could not defend 5's in any reasonable way.   They shot over him.  Porzingas is way better than Grant.   Losing Smart hurts, but Smart had limitations as well as he got staritis a look and took shots he should have never took.

Grant is also an average defender at best if you look at his defensive rating.    He was the worst big in terms of DTRG that played meaningful minutes against Embiid and Giannis.    We will miss his ability to wear on guys and his fouls.    Hauser should be able to replace that offense.

I am still hoping we sign either Wood or Oubre  with the MLE  or the like , and you'd forget about Grant really fast

I do agree on the team needs a guard, wing/big.

I am not sure why everyone discounts Brissett as an add.  Statistically, he has been about the same as Grant over the last 3 seasons.  Grant is probably a little better but Grant is still probably best suited to be a 15-20 min bench guy who will produce maybe 8 points, 4 rebs.  So if we get 6 pts and 3 rebs from Brissett (Brissett actually averages more points and Rebs), with some wing defense, is there really that much difference?  So the main roster change for this season is:

Out:
Smart
Grant

In:
Porzingis
Brissett

We lose a lot with trading Marcus Smart (not so much with Grant in my opinion).  But we are gaining an all star level big (and 2 first round picks, don't forget).  We had a far greater need for a big who can score than a combo guard who can defend.  And even if Grant is a little better than Brissett, he was going to be our 8th guy, the 4th big.  Brissett is now our 8th guy and our 4th wing (for now), although is he really more of a swing so will play some PF as the 4th big I suspect.  There is just so much less impact when you are talking about the 8th guy on your roster.

And if we are able to trade one of the first round picks and use the TPE, we can certainly end up with someone a little better than either Grant or Brissett.

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2023, 12:07:46 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
Brisset is definitely more athletic and cheaper.   I heard he really hustles.

Here was Brisset's scouting report
Strengths: A physical player that can rebound the ball …  Explosive athlete who can get by people despite his 6’8 frame … Has a 7 foot wingspan … Has great vertical athleticism but only recorded 0.8 blocks per game …  Has good speed and quickness … Determined player has a good motor when he wants to …  Decent free throw shooter at 73.6% in his two seasons … Can defend 1-4 with his lateral quickness … Does a lot of things decently, can rebound, defend, shoot and run in transition … Checked in a with a phenominal 2.9% body fat at the NBA Draft Combine …

Weaknesses: Somewhat limited offensively … Poor 3-point shooter at 30.7% from deep in college … Extremely inefficient interior shooter at 40.4% at ‘Cuse … Don’t know much about his man-to-man or his interior defense because of the Syracuse zone … Takes a lot of ill-advised shots … If he can’t get to the hoop sometimes appears to throw the ball toward the rim and hopes for the best … Does not really have a defined position … Will need to find his role, doesn’t excel in any one aspect of the game … Needs to polish his overall offensive game …

He can leap quite well, I know there is a female blogger who states he can't jump off two feet but she is wrong as numbers do not lie.

Brissett also tied for the highest standing vertical leap among forwards that participated at the event, jumping 34 inches. That was tied with Gonzaga’s Brandon Clarke at the position. Twenty players listed as forwards participated

That is an good standing no step vertical leap much better than Grant 's 27".  So he is more athletic, so there is that.

Grant was a real good role player not a world beater. 

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2023, 10:39:29 AM »

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
Jaylen Brown was 9th in the league in scoring last season. He scores from everywhere on the floor. He defends 4 positions and can be trusted to switch onto centers when he has to. He's 26 years old which means he's only just now entering his prime and has a track record of work ethic and improving his game.

Fans need to catch up to the fact that Jaylen Brown is one of the best players in the NBA. He's considerably better than plenty of players who have gotten max contracts in the past.

I'm looking forward to watching this team. White/Brown/Tatum/Timelord/Porzingis with Pritchard/Brogdon/Brissett/Hauser/Horford is a team with a lot of size, shooting, versatility. The coaching staff has been beefed up and the best players will have the room to step into their leadership roles. This team feels, to me, like things have fallen into place.

First from what I'm find Brown was not 9th in total scoring, he was 14th, with 1784 points on the year.  I agree that he's still young and could improve to be better, but I don't think he gets better because of being here with Tatum.  I think him and Tatum overlap to much and Tatum would excel even more with better pieces around him.   

If you taker the players I suggested in this trade, I think they'd play better as a team with Tatum.  Plus they'd cost less money, which means we can build an even better team as a whole.  Trading Malcolm Brogdon is #99 at 1000 points on the year.  So we'd get back, Keldon Johnson is #40 at 1385 points on the year.  Anfernee Simons is #49 at 1306 points on the year.  This isn't including what Scoot Henderson would get you on the year.
Brown was #9 in ppg last season.

Trading a dollar for two 50 cent pieces in the NBA pretty much never leads to a championship. If the C's did your trades they'd have Porzingis, Capela, Timelord and Keldon Johnson. Only two can be on the floor at any given time which means the team you have on the floor at any given moment is less talented. Depth is nice but a player can't help you if he's on the bench.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2023, 10:56:12 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Strengths: A physical player that can rebound the ball …  Explosive athlete who can get by people despite his 6’8 frame … Has a 7 foot wingspan … Has great vertical athleticism but only recorded 0.8 blocks per game …  Has good speed and quickness … Determined player has a good motor when he wants to …  Decent free throw shooter at 73.6% in his two seasons … Can defend 1-4 with his lateral quickness … Does a lot of things decently, can rebound, defend, shoot and run in transition … Checked in a with a phenominal 2.9% body fat at the NBA Draft Combine …

Weaknesses: Somewhat limited offensively … Poor 3-point shooter at 30.7% from deep in college … Extremely inefficient interior shooter at 40.4% at ‘Cuse … Don’t know much about his man-to-man or his interior defense because of the Syracuse zone … Takes a lot of ill-advised shots … If he can’t get to the hoop sometimes appears to throw the ball toward the rim and hopes for the best … Does not really have a defined position … Will need to find his role, doesn’t excel in any one aspect of the game … Needs to polish his overall offensive game …

He can leap quite well, I know there is a female blogger who states he can't jump off two feet but she is wrong as numbers do not lie.

Brissett also tied for the highest standing vertical leap among forwards that participated at the event, jumping 34 inches. That was tied with Gonzaga’s Brandon Clarke at the position. Twenty players listed as forwards participated

That is an good standing no step vertical leap much better than Grant 's 27".  So he is more athletic, so there is that.

I'm also pretty high on Brissett, especially since he burned the C's in that Indy game. If he can rebound and hustle better than Grant then he will help the  bench.

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2023, 11:14:18 AM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

That strength and weakness description listed above does not instill confidence. Basically "he's awful at offense, and we don't know about defense because he played in a zone. But he is really athletic, can rebound and tries really hard."
Fine for a role player, but I don't expect anything from him.
#JKJB

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2023, 04:41:36 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
He has been in the league so hopefully his offense has improved.

Like I said he is not a world beater or a person or thing that is better than all others in its field.  He's career bench player.  But we just need a guy who can keep his body between the rim and his man, all the other stuff he gets is a bonus.

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2023, 05:32:57 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Jaylen Brown was 9th in the league in scoring last season. He scores from everywhere on the floor. He defends 4 positions and can be trusted to switch onto centers when he has to. He's 26 years old which means he's only just now entering his prime and has a track record of work ethic and improving his game.

Fans need to catch up to the fact that Jaylen Brown is one of the best players in the NBA. He's considerably better than plenty of players who have gotten max contracts in the past.

I'm looking forward to watching this team. White/Brown/Tatum/Timelord/Porzingis with Pritchard/Brogdon/Brissett/Hauser/Horford is a team with a lot of size, shooting, versatility. The coaching staff has been beefed up and the best players will have the room to step into their leadership roles. This team feels, to me, like things have fallen into place.

First from what I'm find Brown was not 9th in total scoring, he was 14th, with 1784 points on the year.  I agree that he's still young and could improve to be better, but I don't think he gets better because of being here with Tatum.  I think him and Tatum overlap to much and Tatum would excel even more with better pieces around him.   

If you taker the players I suggested in this trade, I think they'd play better as a team with Tatum.  Plus they'd cost less money, which means we can build an even better team as a whole.  Trading Malcolm Brogdon is #99 at 1000 points on the year.  So we'd get back, Keldon Johnson is #40 at 1385 points on the year.  Anfernee Simons is #49 at 1306 points on the year.  This isn't including what Scoot Henderson would get you on the year.
Brown was #9 in ppg last season.

Trading a dollar for two 50 cent pieces in the NBA pretty much never leads to a championship. If the C's did your trades they'd have Porzingis, Capela, Timelord and Keldon Johnson. Only two can be on the floor at any given time which means the team you have on the floor at any given moment is less talented. Depth is nice but a player can't help you if he's on the bench.
Why are you grouping a wing in Keldon Johnson with 3 bigs?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)