Author Topic: Jaylen Brown trade Ideas  (Read 33786 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown trade Ideas
« Reply #165 on: June 04, 2023, 10:19:28 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I'd rather have 3 and Simons than Towns.  I think Simons could give a lot of what Brown does and the idea of Miller or Henderson at 3 just is super appealing

I know Brown had a tough playoffs offensively, but his defense on Harden and Butler was really good. Without his defense, I don't think we beat Philly.

How does Simons replicate that? He is literally one of the, if not the, worst defenders in the NBA.

If you look at all the small, shoot-first, no-defense guards out there that are also one of the 2-3 best players on the team, none of them are on teams making it deep into the playoffs. Why is that?

It's almost like defense.... WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!!! WHAT!?! MINDBLOWN EMOJI

I think Simons would just be a stopgap at the SG spot. Or, you could figure out a 3-way and slip him elsewhere, since his contract is very reasonable. At the very least, he'd be a much better shooter than Brown so your spacing should improve. The key to the deal is still the no 3 pick if Scoot is indeed available.

If we are shipping him to a third team, I'm more on board. If we were able to land a player like OG, Van Fleet, etc., I think I'd be more excited about that. I've also heard some talking heads suggest the Wizards may look to get off Beal's contract as part of the rebuild. If they were able to replace him with Simons, I wonder if they would consider it. He's young and a similar scorer with a good contract. Beal is not exactly a defensive MVP candidate, but I tend to think his size and experience would make him a better defender in tough games.

« Reply #166 on: June 04, 2023, 10:42:44 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'd rather have 3 and Simons than Towns.  I think Simons could give a lot of what Brown does and the idea of Miller or Henderson at 3 just is super appealing

I know Brown had a tough playoffs offensively, but his defense on Harden and Butler was really good. Without his defense, I don't think we beat Philly.

How does Simons replicate that? He is literally one of the, if not the, worst defenders in the NBA.

If you look at all the small, shoot-first, no-defense guards out there that are also one of the 2-3 best players on the team, none of them are on teams making it deep into the playoffs. Why is that?

I think Simons would just be a stopgap at the SG spot. Or, you could figure out a 3-way and slip him elsewhere, since his contract is very reasonable. At the very least, he'd be a much better shooter than Brown so your spacing should improve. The key to the deal is still the no 3 pick if Scoot is indeed available.

If we are shipping him to a third team, I'm more on board. If we were able to land a player like OG, Van Fleet, etc., I think I'd be more excited about that. I've also heard some talking heads suggest the Wizards may look to get off Beal's contract as part of the rebuild. If they were able to replace him with Simons, I wonder if they would consider it. He's young and a similar scorer with a good contract. Beal is not exactly a defensive MVP candidate, but I tend to think his size and experience would make him a better defender in tough games.
I wonder if there could be some mega-trade to facilitate. Obviously never going to happen, but what about:

Boston gets: Anunoby + #3

Portland gets: Brown

Toronto gets: Ayton + Simons + Payne + Future PHX 1st

Phoenix gets: Siakam
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #167 on: June 04, 2023, 10:58:02 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Mmm .. yep, Beal has some muscle. Helps him offensively too with his driving game. Simons more limited to outside scoring. Gets few interior hoops and even fewer FTs.

Beal can fight physically because of his powerful frame.

« Reply #168 on: June 04, 2023, 11:00:04 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I wonder if there could be some mega-trade to facilitate. Obviously never going to happen, but what about:

Anunoby would be really cool. I love his game.

I wonder do we have enough scoring in that scenario? Enough shot-creation? A second scorer to help Tatum. I suppose Brogdon becomes that 2nd scorer.

« Reply #169 on: June 04, 2023, 11:11:55 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

I wonder do we have enough scoring in that scenario? Enough shot-creation? A second scorer to help Tatum. I suppose Brogdon becomes that 2nd scorer.

Scoot with #3 pick

G: Brogdon, Scoot
G: D White, Smart
F: Tatum, Anunoby
F: Horford, Gallo
C: Rob Williams, Muscala

Or go smaller

G: Scoot, Smart
G: D White, Brogdon
F: Anunoby, G Williams
F: Tatum, Gallo
C: Rob Williams, Horford, Muscala

The big lineup lacks firepower without Jaylen around. Brogdon may need to start. Scoot unlikely to be efficient enough for that much responsibility for day one. Maybe in a smaller lineup where the court is spread out and it easier for him to use his speed to attack. Probably not a bigger lineup that will see him take more jump-shots especially contested shots.

I like Scoot as a starter in that smaller lineup. He can push the tempo; get the team out and running. Drive to the paint and cause havoc. Make the other team's D scramble trying to keep track of him. Good shooting alongside him 2-4. Athletic lineup with Rob Williams at the five. Athletic forwards.

That big lineup looks better to me. As a win-now lineup.

B Miller with the #3 pick

G: Smart, Brogdon
G: D White, Hauser
F: Anunoby, B Miller
F: Tatum, Gallo, Muscala
C: Rob Williams, Horford

I don't think you could go big here. Not enough ball-handling or shooting. The offense would be clunky. Not enough PG play. Not enough playmaking on the wing to help a more limited PG. Two bigs not enough offense. Mmm, go small I reckon.

I would like some lineups with Brandon Miller at the two alongside Anunoby and Tatum. Either Brogdon or D White at PG. That would be a fun lineup to give teams a different look. Or Gallo at PF alongside either Anunoboy or Tatum at SF. Similar dynamic.

Maybe you go the same as with the Scoot option and start Brogdon again. Bring Smart off the bench. That is a good option. You keep the three combo guards. You now have three combo forwards in Tatum, Anunoby and B Miller. You have your two bigs. A couple of extras like Gallo, Muscala, Hauser, new PG.

« Reply #170 on: June 05, 2023, 01:52:23 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Maybe try and turn Smart + 3 + Gallo into KAT?

Turn the team into a completely different group ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #171 on: June 05, 2023, 06:39:55 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Again Brown is NOT going to be traded unless he ask for one…my attention would be getting rid of Smart
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #172 on: June 05, 2023, 07:53:07 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Again Brown is NOT going to be traded unless he ask for one…my attention would be getting rid of Smart

If we deal Smart, which I'm OK with, do you try and keep PP?
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #173 on: June 05, 2023, 07:56:45 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

If we deal Smart, which I'm OK with, do you try and keep PP?

I would trade PP too. Roll with D White & Brogdon as my two PGs. Play bigger with Jaylen at SG. I am presuming Smart is traded for a wing or big to allow the bigger lineup play full time.

If both Smart and one of Brogdon / D White were traded & the main backup PG opened up, I would keep PP to play that role. But as a 3rd stringer? Nah, time to move on. I am happy with a lesser player as my 3rd string PG. I'd rather trade PP and get whatever asset we can get for him.

« Reply #174 on: June 05, 2023, 07:57:23 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #175 on: June 05, 2023, 07:59:31 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Now this is intriguing.  Do I want the headache that is Ja?  It's the same question many asked of drafting the Ball brothers.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/boston-celtics-land-ja-morant-jaylen-brown-joins-memphis-grizzlies-in-a-smart-blockbuster-trade-scenario/ar-AA1c7FLL?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=7847f8c734d8430d98beda88449a6f4c&ei=7
Zero interest in Morant, Simmons, Kyrie or Zion (who can’t stay healthy)
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #176 on: June 05, 2023, 08:01:34 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Now this is intriguing.  Do I want the headache that is Ja?  It's the same question many asked of drafting the Ball brothers.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/boston-celtics-land-ja-morant-jaylen-brown-joins-memphis-grizzlies-in-a-smart-blockbuster-trade-scenario/ar-AA1c7FLL?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=7847f8c734d8430d98beda88449a6f4c&ei=7

Man, the lack of passing on that MEM team with Jaylen and JJJ as your two best players. Poor Bane.

I wouldn't do that expanded deal with D Brooks coming back here. I do not want him. If Morant is coming, we need to surround him with shooters. D Brooks is not a shooter. It was a problem for MEM and it would be a problem for us.

Morant for JB = I am all in on that.

They want PP to be their backup PG to Tyus Jones (do I have the name right?), that is fine.

If they want Smart, they gotta come up with something useful. D Brooks is not useful. Kennard maybe. Or Tillman although I think he is still on his rookie deal. I'd rather do a straight swap Jaylen for Morant but I'd take a loss on Smart to whoever to get it done so long as that whoever is a useful rotation player. That does not include D Brooks.

« Reply #177 on: June 05, 2023, 08:06:32 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
New look Memphis Grizzlies

G: Tyus Jones, (free agent)
G: D Bane, Kennard
F: Jaylen, Zhaire, Konchar, Roddy
F: JJJ, (free agent), Aldama
C: S Adams, B Clarke, Tillman

Grizz still have a major need to replace Kyle Anderson. I was watching that play-in game they played two years ago against GSW and Slow-Mo was huge that night. He helped open up their offense with his handles, passing and driving. Along with his defensive versatility. That is what they lacked so much against LAL and why Hachimura was such a problem for them. They had nobody who could matchup against him. Tillman not skilled enough. Aldama too limited.

They got a couple of scrappy defensive wings. Zhaire something. That guy Konchar. They provide good deep bench talent. Along with Tillman and Aldama. Roddy. They can easily get a useful backup PG in free agency for low money.

So, how good is that team?

Defensively, it is still a monster but offensively it is pretty ugly. Lack of quality outside creators. Bane is their only plus player on the perimeter. Not sure how good JJJ will do without good passing around him. He might take a step back offensively. It'll be enough to keep them competitive as a 45-48 win team but I don't see much upside there.

I believe they could probably hold steady at 45 win pace without Morant and just keeping the team together. Sign a free agent starting SF to replace D Brooks. Keep Morant and wait for him to return. That looks a better option to me. Turn the team over to JJJ while Morant is out and keep developing him as a scorer. And Bane.

It is strange. I don't think Jaylen adds that much to them. I can understand seeing Jaylen as not adding much when replacing Morant or even taking a backwards step but I am not sure he adds much to them even without Morant.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 08:13:22 AM by Who »

« Reply #178 on: June 05, 2023, 12:15:52 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

There's a good chance Morant gets a 40+ game suspension, so idk if they want to spend half a season without a legit PG and then relying on him to just figure it out in the 2nd half. And that's assuming he even behaves during it which is FAR from a guarantee.

Agree with Birdman. I have zero interest in Zion, Simmons, Morant, Kyrie, and I'll even add KAT/Ayton to that list. Not for Jaylen. All those guys have glaring flaws, some are headcases, but also Ayton/KAT, as young and talented as they are, have not looked like winners either nor do they act like they genuinely care. There's multiple instances of this over the past few seasons, including playoffs. Monty HATED Ayton and there's a reason he's still in trade rumors often. Pacers may have dodged a bullet that the Suns matched the contract offer.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #179 on: June 05, 2023, 12:33:31 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

There's a good chance Morant gets a 40+ game suspension, so idk if they want to spend half a season without a legit PG and then relying on him to just figure it out in the 2nd half. And that's assuming he even behaves during it which is FAR from a guarantee.

Agree with Birdman. I have zero interest in Zion, Simmons, Morant, Kyrie, and I'll even add KAT/Ayton to that list. Not for Jaylen. All those guys have glaring flaws, some are headcases, but also Ayton/KAT, as young and talented as they are, have not looked like winners either nor do they act like they genuinely care. There's multiple instances of this over the past few seasons, including playoffs. Monty HATED Ayton and there's a reason he's still in trade rumors often. Pacers may have dodged a bullet that the Suns matched the contract offer.

Why are you lumping in ayton with Kat? Ayton is like half the player kat is and I’m not even a kat fan