Author Topic: Jaylen Brown trade Ideas  (Read 34868 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown trade Ideas
« Reply #135 on: June 02, 2023, 11:50:49 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
I would be ok trading Jaylen to Portland for Jerami Grant and the #3 pick. I prefer Scoot over Brandon Miller, which is good because Charlotte already has a PG.

Jaylen is very talented, but I don't think I can watch him turn the ball over 8 times again in a playoff game. I think his defense isn't as good as it's been. I don't like him on the supermax.

Give the keys to Tatum officially. Let White play more minutes and develop Scoot behind Marcus. Figure out how to get another legit big man to start, allowing Horford and Williams to come off the bench with their age and injury concerns.

Jerami grant is not under contract, he's a free agent this summer. A S&T doesn't work either because of salary apron issues. Simons would need to be the matching salary, but that's besides the point because the c's are trading Brown to draft a 19 year old who might take 4 years to mature and contribute.

Maybe. He also might come in just like Ja Morant (without the guns) and contribute right away. In this scenario, it would be a decisive win for the Celtics as he would be cost-controlled.

Scoot would be the center piece of the trade. Maybe another pick and a role player gets it done.

« Reply #136 on: June 03, 2023, 12:00:51 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I would be ok trading Jaylen to Portland for Jerami Grant and the #3 pick. I prefer Scoot over Brandon Miller, which is good because Charlotte already has a PG.

Jaylen is very talented, but I don't think I can watch him turn the ball over 8 times again in a playoff game. I think his defense isn't as good as it's been. I don't like him on the supermax.

Give the keys to Tatum officially. Let White play more minutes and develop Scoot behind Marcus. Figure out how to get another legit big man to start, allowing Horford and Williams to come off the bench with their age and injury concerns.

Jerami grant is not under contract, he's a free agent this summer. A S&T doesn't work either because of salary apron issues. Simons would need to be the matching salary, but that's besides the point because the c's are trading Brown to draft a 19 year old who might take 4 years to mature and contribute.

Here is my silly trade that works in the NBA trade machine:

To Boston
Simons, #3, and O.G. Anonoby

To Portland
Jaylen, Prichard and Flynn

To Toronto
Marcus Smart, Shaedon Sharp, Boston 2026 draft pick, Portland 2026 draft pick

Boston and Portland both improve.  Toronto starts a rebuild.  Prichard gets a new home.  Toronto would probably never do this but this would be the dream

« Reply #137 on: June 03, 2023, 04:11:21 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Going to be a very long offseason filled with lots of Brown trade ideas. I am going to collate a few of my favourites and post below.

Portland
Boston gets: Damian Lillard + Trendon Watford

Portland gets: Jaylen Brown + Marcus Smart + Payton Pritchard + 2 1st round picks

Boston team is as below:
Lillard / Brogdon
White / Hauser
Tatum / Gallinari
Horford / G Williams / Watford
R Williams / Muscala / Kornet

Houston
Boston gets: Alperen Sengun + Tari Eason + Kenyon Martin Jr.

Houston gets: Jaylen Brown

Boston team is as below:
White / Pritchard
Smart / Brogdon
Tatum / Eason
Horford / Gallinari / G Williams
Sengun / R Williams / G Williams

Atlanta
Boston gets: De'Andre Hunter + Bogdan Bogdanovic + Saddiq Bey + Wendell Carter Jr

Atlanta gets: Jaylen Brown + Gary Harris

Orlando gets: Marcus Smart + Jalen Johnson

Boston team is as below:
White / Pritchard
Bogdanovic / Brogdon
Tatum / Bey
Horford / Hunter / Gallinari
Carter Jr. / R Williams / G Williams

These just spring to mind immediately.

The last two deals are legitimately awful for Boston. Like they'd be better off just trading him for draft picks because at least you could, in theory, flip those for a future star maybe.

The first is not happening because Brown will never agree to re-sign on a Portland team that doesn't have Lillard, so Portland isnt doing that trade.
I disagree, but that is probably due to my high rating of Sengun, Eason, Hunter, Bey and Carter Jr. I think all 4 will be high level starter-level players for a while, with Sengun looking at All-Star level talent.
He is the kind of Sabonis-esque offensive big that will replace Horford's passing and screening. I also think Tari Eason is bound for several All-Defence teams. Those deals are obviously not flashy star acquisitions, but they make us a much more balanced and deeper team. I don't think you need two All-NBA guys (esp. if one is very flawed) if you have an incredible supporting cast.

I didn't realise you had a personal knowledge of Jaylen's inner motivations. Please do tell us more about where he'll re-sign! I'm sure CBS would love to hear it.

Its just pretty simple logic my man. There's no real reason for him to re-sign with a terrible Portland team when he'll be a free agent in a year and have his pick of teams. His contract is not extendable for CBA reasons, Portland isn't a big or famous market. There just doesn't seem to be any reason he'd re-sign there.
Logic would dictate that good players worth lots of money would leave their routinely bad teams. It just so happens that the reality is often the opposite.

Dude, what are you talking about. Teams being bad is LITERALLY the #1 reason we have a ton of player movement in the NBA. We have stars force their way off bad teams all the time.
No, it "literally" is not. For every All-NBA who leaves in free agency (name a few, please) we have the Beal's and Lillard's
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #138 on: June 03, 2023, 07:24:23 AM »

Offline DBCooper

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1

To Boston

To Portland

To Toronto

Boston and Portland both improve.  Toronto starts a rebuild.  Prichard gets a new home.  Toronto would probably never do this but this would be the dream

This is what I would like to see. I was looking to try to keep it cleaner though.

Brown for #3 and Simons and then flip Simons for OG.

Hopefully you can trade Pritchard for a late 1st and send that to Toronto along with Simons but if Toronto is losing VanVleet I don’t think they would need a lot more than Simons to get OG. You can add some filler to make the money work.

Scoot can sit behind White for a few years but I think he would be a 15-20 minute player and contributor from day 1. Just have him focus on driving and passing while he works to fix his 3pt shooting. But, I don’t think he needs 4 years to develop. Off the bench he would be a killer for the first few years.

« Reply #139 on: June 03, 2023, 08:43:55 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412

To Boston

To Portland

To Toronto

This is what I would like to see. I was looking to try to keep it cleaner though.

Brown for #3 and Simons and then flip Simons for OG.

Hopefully you can trade Pritchard for a late 1st and send that to Toronto along with Simons but if Toronto is losing VanVleet I don’t think they would need a lot more than Simons to get OG. You can add some filler to make the money work.

Scoot can sit behind White for a few years but I think he would be a 15-20 minute player and contributor from day 1. Just have him focus on driving and passing while he works to fix his 3pt shooting. But, I don’t think he needs 4 years to develop. Off the bench he would be a killer for the first few years.

I like the idea of flipping A Simons for OG Anunoby.

I was actually thinking of Brandon Miller as the #3 pick and then having a platoon of forwards with Tatum, Anunoby and B Miller as the 6th man. Three long athletic forwards to keep constant pressure on the opposition. I'd be very interested in that.

I'd also be very interested in Scoot. I'd rather pick him than B Miller. I'd love to add a creative ball-handler to put alongside Tatum.

Also, quite happy to stick with A Simons if there are not good opportunities to flip him. I like the comparison I made between A Simons and Jason Terry & the partnership fit of the skill-sets of Terry/Dirk and Simons/Tatum. I believe A Simons could work quite well here next to Tatum.

« Reply #140 on: June 03, 2023, 11:27:20 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 229
Any chance Indy bites on a Brown for Mathurin & the 7th pick trade? I believe Indy has enough cap space to take back Browns salary, and Haliburton+Brown seem like a great pairing.

I'd take Hendricks with the 7th pick if he was still available.

« Reply #141 on: June 03, 2023, 07:08:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Any chance Indy bites on a Brown for Mathurin & the 7th pick trade? I believe Indy has enough cap space to take back Browns salary, and Haliburton+Brown seem like a great pairing.

I would do Brown for Mathurin & Hendricks in a heartbeat.

« Reply #142 on: June 03, 2023, 08:12:34 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

I would do Brown for Mathurin & Hendricks in a heartbeat.

How good do you folks think Mathurin can be?

« Reply #143 on: June 03, 2023, 08:30:13 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Just looking at Mathurin's stats, a few things pop out:

(1) Not a passer. Only 1.5apg. A negative AST:TO ratio with 1.5apg to 1.9tpg.

(2) Shot taker. Aggressive. 12 FGA in 28mpg. 16.7ppg in 28mpg.

(3) Finished 12th in the entire NBA in free throw makes despite only playing 28mpg. That is impressive. 5.8 FTA per game against 12.2 FGA which is a great ratio. 5.8 FTA in only 28mpg is also very impressive. He should be up at 7-8 FTAs per game if he played starters minutes. Shot 83% FT%. Very good.

A quality that Boston needs. Someone who can get to the FT line regularly.

(4) His shooting numbers are bad but he is only a rookie and he was a shooter in college. They should improve. About a 3rd of his shots are from three. Gets to the FT line a lot. Should be an efficient scorer in the near future. Only 56.6% TS% this season but that should improve.

« Reply #144 on: June 03, 2023, 09:20:29 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Is Mathurin too similar to Jaylen?

A SG low in guard skills (secondary ball-handling, passing, playmaking) and over-reliant on scoring & one-on-one play to make an impact on offense. A slasher / shooter like Jaylen. A non-team offense (passing, handles) guy like Jaylen.

If Mathurin did come here, would he be a 20ppg next year? Looks like he could be.

I am a bit concerned that Nembhard played ahead of him. Sort of a poor man's D White. A glue guy. They felt they needed that team orientated guard in there more than they needed an explosive scorer like Mathurin. Likely for the same reasons that we get annoyed at Jaylen for. The over-reliance on isos / one-on-one play and the lack of passing / team offense.

Essentially that Mathurin would just be a continuation of the lack of ball movement & team orientated offense. A continuation of the over-reliance of one-on-one play from Tatum and Jaylen (Mathurin) offensively.

« Reply #145 on: June 04, 2023, 04:05:54 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Is Mathurin too similar to Jaylen?

A SG low in guard skills (secondary ball-handling, passing, playmaking) and over-reliant on scoring & one-on-one play to make an impact on offense. A slasher / shooter like Jaylen. A non-team offense (passing, handles) guy like Jaylen.

If Mathurin did come here, would he be a 20ppg next year? Looks like he could be.

I am a bit concerned that Nembhard played ahead of him. Sort of a poor man's D White. A glue guy. They felt they needed that team orientated guard in there more than they needed an explosive scorer like Mathurin. Likely for the same reasons that we get annoyed at Jaylen for. The over-reliance on isos / one-on-one play and the lack of passing / team offense.

Essentially that Mathurin would just be a continuation of the lack of ball movement & team orientated offense. A continuation of the over-reliance of one-on-one play from Tatum and Jaylen (Mathurin) offensively.
I think Mathurin has the capacity to be more athletic Corey Maggette-esque type. As you mention, elite at drawing fouls. He's a Lavine-like athlete to my eye, but more aggressive and worse at passing. Maggette had no passing game until he was 5 years in. I think the efficiency will come.

I also think Mathurin has more ball-skills, and more capacity to develop these further. Unsure he'll be the same volume as JB, but I think he'd be more capable of developing into a playmaker. Thinking of how Butler went from a non-playmaker into a point forward.

« Reply #146 on: June 04, 2023, 08:55:33 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Building on a few ideas that have floated around here, I think this as an off-season would hold us in a really good spot.

Brown trade:
Boston gets: KAT

Portland gets: Brown

Minnesota gets: #3, Simons

Smart trade:
Boston gets: Murphy III, Nance, Dunn, Temple, #28

New Orleans gets: Smart, moderately protected future pick from Boston

Utah gets: Pritchard, Muscala

Draft:
#28: Trayce Jackson-Davis

#35: Keyontae Johnson

Team:
White / Dunn / Davison
Murphy III / Brogdon / Temple
Tatum / Hauser / Johnson
Horford / Gallinari / Nance
Anthony-Towns / Williams 3 / Jackson-Davis

Begarin to stay overseas next season, Davison gets a bit more time with the team ideally.

« Reply #147 on: June 04, 2023, 09:36:59 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Building on a few ideas that have floated around here, I think this as an off-season would hold us in a really good spot.

Brown trade:

Smart trade:

Draft:

Team:
White / Dunn / Davison
Tatum / Hauser / Johnson

Begarin to stay overseas next season, Davison gets a bit more time with the team ideally.

I realize that you put some work into this, but in the end, I think this team would be worse than one with Marcus and Jaylen. I do like Trey Murphy, but I don't think KAT is the guy that is going to turn us into a contender. He's been in the league a while and there just isn't a lot of winning there. It's not all of his fault, but his defense hasn't helped.

« Reply #148 on: June 04, 2023, 10:48:06 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767

Brown trade:

Smart trade:

Draft:

Team:
White / Dunn / Davison
Tatum / Hauser / Johnson

I think a trade like this depends greatly on whether or not you think Murphy can be a 20 PPG wing scorer. I don't think you have enough offense without that. I do like the other pieces here though.

My question is this - If all it takes to get KAT from the Wolves is Simons and the #3 pick, don't you think we could get a similar value?

Depending on your view of roster construction, I'm not sure Simons is a great fit next to Edwards. I think you want to duplicate his side, strength, and toughness, instead of giving an out. That's where I think Smart would be an excellent fit next to Edwards, and I do think he's a more valuable player than Simons, especially on their respective contracts and with their experience.

If you think KAT could be got for Simons and #3, I think we could get KAT for Smart, Gallo, Pritchard, and a future first.

« Reply #149 on: June 04, 2023, 02:38:56 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Brown trade:

Smart trade:

Draft:

Team:
White / Dunn / Davison
Tatum / Hauser / Johnson

I realize that you put some work into this, but in the end, I think this team would be worse than one with Marcus and Jaylen. I do like Trey Murphy, but I don't think KAT is the guy that is going to turn us into a contender. He's been in the league a while and there just isn't a lot of winning there. It's not all of his fault, but his defense hasn't helped.
I pretty much completely disagree. I think a Tatum-KAT offensive 1-2 could be almost as dominant as Jokic-Murray. Surround them with athletes and shooters, watch the wins roll in.

I think KAT is mischaracterised due to the Minnesota effect.