Author Topic: Best Year's Starting 5  (Read 2027 times)

Re: Best Year's Starting 5
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2023, 10:05:20 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
I know they chose the late 80's for Jordan, but I kind of like an early 80's squad

The 1st Team All NBA in 83 was Magic, Moncrief, Dr. J, Bird, and Moses.  Moncrief was the DPOY and Moses was the MVP and they were both 1st Team All Defense.  Bird was a 2nd Team defender.  I think that gives you a better version of Bird, a better center in Moses, a superb scoring wing in Dr. J, and probably the best guard defender in league history (him or Payton).  I think that would compare favorably to 88.  If you wanted some more firepower you could swap in Gervin and of course Kareem was still in his prime if you preferred him to Moses (though Moses was back-to-back MVP).  I also like the idea that Moses and Dr. J actually played together that season, that to me always adds a positive element when you are making a team (the Sixers won the title that year and dominated everyone). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2023, 10:11:22 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I know they chose the late 80's for Jordan, but I kind of like an early 80's squad

The 1st Team All NBA in 83 was Magic, Moncrief, Dr. J, Bird, and Moses.  Moncrief was the DPOY and Moses was the MVP and they were both 1st Team All Defense.  Bird was a 2nd Team defender.  I think that gives you a better version of Bird, a better center in Moses, a superb scoring wing in Dr. J, and probably the best guard defender in league history (him or Payton).  I think that would compare favorably to 88.  If you wanted some more firepower you could swap in Gervin and of course Kareem was still in his prime if you preferred him to Moses (though Moses was back-to-back MVP).  I also like the idea that Moses and Dr. J actually played together that season, that to me always adds a positive element when you are making a team (the Sixers won the title that year and dominated everyone).

No way that Moncrief and Moses Malone are an upgrade over Jordan and Olajuwon.  I am with you that Moses Malone deserves more credit than he gets but not that much more.  Then you are replacing Barkley (or in my case Karl Malone) with Julius Irving.  Interesting possibility, play Bird at PF.  Personally, I would stick with Karl Malone over Irving on that team but it is a close call.

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2023, 10:14:37 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
The 2000 and 2002 teams are very interesting alternatives to the Kobe & McGrady backcourts.

I love the 2000 mix with Kidd, Payton, KG, Duncan and Shaq. I know others are less keen on the two PG alignment. I just love the defense & passing of this group alongside the interior power of Shaq and Duncan.

The 2002 team had T-Mac at SF, Kobe at SG and Kidd at PG alongside Duncan and Shaq. Most prototypical player positions. The athleticism and skill of those wings alongside Kidd at PG would be a sight to see. Shaq and Duncan again dominating the paint. The defense of that group would be high grade as well.

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2023, 10:18:21 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I pause a bit on the 1988 team. Only Hakeem and Jordan are quality defenders. The other three below average defensively. Hakeem was a black-hole on offense at that stage in his career.

Still, the other four are so dynamic on offense. Jordan and Barkley as finishers next to the playmaking of Bird and Magic would be incredible.

Even if they are weaker on defense, would you be able to out-score that group?

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2023, 10:19:45 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

No way that Moncrief and Moses Malone are an upgrade over Jordan and Olajuwon.  I am with you that Moses Malone deserves more credit than he gets but not that much more.  Then you are replacing Barkley (or in my case Karl Malone) with Julius Irving.  Interesting possibility, play Bird at PF.  Personally, I would stick with Karl Malone over Irving on that team but it is a close call.

Yeah, Moncrief was a hell of a defender, but so was Jordan.  He was DPOY that season if I'm remembering correctly.  And, I'm taking Hakeem over Moses.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2023, 10:20:19 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
The 1996 team is another one I love. Penny and Jordan in the backcourt. Pippen at forward. D-Rob and K Malone as the bigs. That group is so athletic and multi-faceted. The perimeter trio in particular would be devastating to play against. D-Rob in more of a secondary role which would suit him. K Malone about at his peak.

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2023, 10:22:00 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Is the 1987 team better than the 1988 team?

Only one change with McHale subbing in for Barkley. Gives them 3 strong defenders around Bird and Magic. Two lethal post scorers in Hakeem and McHale.

I prefer the 1987 team.

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2023, 10:42:10 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I am surprised Stockton had only 2 first team All-NBA, 1994 and 1995. Magic took the 80s to 91 teams. Drexler and Jordan in 1992. Mark Price in 1993. Penny in 1996. Then T Hardaway, Payton, Kidd in late 90s.

Stockton would be such a fun player in this exercise. Someone who organizes the team, makes sure everyone else is involved in the game, pushes the ball in transition. Lotta fun.

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2023, 10:43:52 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Not keen on some of those 1990s teams with Barkley and K Malone at forward. I prefer Duncan and KG because they brought a major defensive edge over the other two. It was easier, more effective, to play big with those two defensive minded seven footers.

I was less impressed with Barkley & Malone alongside one another in All-Star games. Did not create the same edge, the same advantages, as KG and Duncan did. 

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2023, 10:47:54 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Yeah, Moncrief was a hell of a defender, but so was Jordan.  He was DPOY that season if I'm remembering correctly.  And, I'm taking Hakeem over Moses.
88 Hakeem was not better than 83 Moses.  I don't think it is close.  I'm not even sure any Hakeem season was better than Moses was in 83.  Moses was an unstoppable force and a man possessed that entire season.  There is a reason the Sixers blitzed through the regular season and then had the most dominant playoff run of any team ever to that point.  Early 90's Hakeem (around 93) would have been in the discussion with 83 Moses, but 88 Hakeem wasn't the player Moses was in 83.  Not even close at all.

Obviously Moncrief is a significant downgrade to Jordan, but I'd take 83 Bird over 88 Bird.  Moses was clearly better than Hakeem.  I like Dr. J instead of Barkley from a team building perspective, and Magic was basically the same both years.  I just think 83 was a better constructed team.  I think you need a guy like Moncrief in there i.e. an elite defender that can score, but doesn't need the ball (Sidney went for 22.5/5.8/3.9 - he also finished 4th in MVP voting, led the Bucks to the ECF including a sweep of Bird's Celtics and were the only team to pick up a game against the Sixers in the playoffs).  In 88 Jordan was scoring 35 a game and the Bulls were losing in the 2nd round in 5 games.  He wasn't 90's Jordan yet.  He hadn't quite figured it all out and I'm not sure how well he would have done on a team full of alphas that early in his career.  A much better individual player than Moncrief, but I don't think you need that upgrade from a team building perspective given the rest of the starting unit.

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2023, 10:54:38 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
88 Hakeem was not better than 83 Moses.  I don't think it is close.  I'm not even sure any Hakeem season was better than Moses was in 83.  Moses was an unstoppable force and a man possessed that entire season.  There is a reason the Sixers blitzed through the regular season and then had the most dominant playoff run of any team ever to that point.  Early 90's Hakeem (around 93) would have been in the discussion with 83 Moses, but 88 Hakeem wasn't the player Moses was in 83.  Not even close at all.

I lean the same way. Hakeem did not surpass peak Moses Malone until Hakeem reached his own peak in 1992-93, 1993-94, 1994-95.

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2023, 11:24:13 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I lean the same way. Hakeem did not surpass peak Moses Malone until Hakeem reached his own peak in 1992-93, 1993-94, 1994-95.

This may be true, but 1988 Hakeem seems like a better fit defensively.  Moses was a solid-to-good defender, but he wasn’t a generational defender like Hakeem.

Comparing the two teams:

1983: Magic, Moncrief, Dr. J, Bird, Moses

1988: Magic, Jordan, Bird, Barkley, Hakeem

While I agree with VG that Karl Malone is a better fit than Barkley on the 1988 team, I think the ‘88 team wins on talent, fit and defense.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2023, 11:40:43 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

This may be true, but 1988 Hakeem seems like a better fit defensively.  Moses was a solid-to-good defender, but he wasn’t a generational defender like Hakeem.

Comparing the two teams:

While I agree with VG that Karl Malone is a better fit than Barkley on the 1988 team, I think the ‘88 team wins on talent, fit and defense.
I think the 88 team is too late on Magic and Bird (both firmly in prime, just after their absolute best seasons) and too early on Jordan, Barkley, and Hakeem.  I think people are remembering those guys all at their peak when none of those guys were at their best that season (all excellent of course, just not peak).  I also like Bird better at PF which he was earlier in his career when he was a much better defender.  You give me 93 version of Jordan, Barkley, and Hakeem and this is a much different discussion (the other 1st teamers were Price and Mailman, but for this I'd take the 2nd team member of Stockton and Dominque). 

On the 83 squad only Dr. J was past his apex and while Bird and Magic both probably peaked a season or two later, they were awfully close to their apex that season and Moncrief and Moses were definitely at their apex, both individually and with team success.  Give me the better fitting team with more guys at their apex, 2 of which actually played and won a title together, and I'll take my chances even if the individual talent overall may be lesser.

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2023, 11:55:43 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Comparing the two teams:

I think the 88 team is too late on Magic and Bird (both firmly in prime, just after their absolute best seasons) and too early on Jordan, Barkley, and Hakeem.  I think people are remembering those guys all at their peak when none of those guys were at their best that season (all excellent of course, just not peak).  I also like Bird better at PF which he was earlier in his career when he was a much better defender.  You give me 93 version of Jordan, Barkley, and Hakeem and this is a much different discussion (the other 1st teamers were Price and Mailman, but for this I'd take the 2nd team member of Stockton and Dominque). 

On the 83 squad only Dr. J was past his apex and while Bird and Magic both probably peaked a season or two later, they were awfully close to their apex that season and Moncrief and Moses were definitely at their apex, both individually and with team success.  Give me the better fitting team with more guys at their apex, 2 of which actually played and won a title together, and I'll take my chances even if the individual talent overall may be lesser.

I'd take '88 Bird over '83 Bird.  Larry wasn't yet an elite shooter (only 28.6% 3PT%), and he had a poor playoff run.  1988 was Larry's best scoring season, his most efficient season and his third best 3PT% season.

I agree with you regarding Magic, though.  In '83 he was a lot more efficient, and he was a more active rebounder and defender.