Author Topic: What exactly is Shaqs problem with Dwight Howard?  (Read 4502 times)

What exactly is Shaqs problem with Dwight Howard?
« on: January 20, 2023, 04:06:24 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Shaq recently came out and said that Dwight Howard does not deserve to make the Hall of Fame. I don’t know if anyone has noticed, but shacks criticism of Dwight Howard over the past 10 to 15 years has been excessive and relentless. Does anyone know the origin of this beef? I love Shaq, but he comes off as petty as he continues to diss Dwight in the media.

Also, saying that Dwight Howard does not deserve to make the Hall of Fame is ridiculous given how good he was at his peak.

Re: What exactly is Shaqs problem with Dwight Howard?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 04:25:21 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Dwight tried to steal his “Superman” nickname. That was the beginning of the end…
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2023, 04:27:23 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He probably sees him as a clown with an over-inflated ego.  Plus the Superman stuff.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 04:30:08 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
Dwight tried to steal his “Superman” nickname. That was the beginning of the end…

Love Shaq, but he has a million nicknames.

There’s a lot of Dwight hate out there, not just Shaq.

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 04:43:43 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Because Shaq is a princess. Listening to his boring hating of any and all modern bigs is exhausting.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2023, 04:45:54 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Dwight Howard should be a first ballot HOF candidate. I know he’s crazy now but that guy had an insane period of years. He was incredibly good.

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2023, 04:58:14 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
He probably sees him as a clown with an over-inflated ego.  Plus the Superman stuff.

I don’t know. Dwight’s a goofball, for sure, but that’s about the worst anyone can say about him. Seems like an alright guy.

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2023, 05:13:04 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I'd say it is a mix of two things:

(1) Dwight definitely stepped on Shaq's toes. Being the new face of the Orlando Magic (like Shaq was), taking the same "Superman" nickname (like Shaq), wearing the cape in the dunk contest. Each touching to close to home for Shaq.

There was an anger that Dwight did not create a personality / identity of his own and instead was just trying to steal Shaq's. To take what Shaq had built. Both in terms of the NBA overall and also in Orlando where Shaq still has big emotional ties to.

It was disrespect - at least to Shaq.

(2) I reckon Shaq genuinely believes Dwight is over-rated. You can see in his commentary as well as his own style of play that Shaq views scoring and being the go-to scorer as the most important and only real way for a franchise player to be. Dwight was a good but unexceptional scorer.

I also believe Shaq's matchups with Dwight played a role here as well. Shaq was able to defend and shut-down Dwight's scoring comfortably. Dwight was essentially Shaq but 3-4 inches shorter and 40-60lbs lighter. Shaq was able to shut down Dwight's power game in the post easily and Dwight lacked the counters to cause Shaq much trouble. In contast, guys like Ewing, D-Robinson, Hakeem, Mourning gave Shaq much more trouble.

... and these matchups with Dwight were in Shaq's elder years when he was no longer the force he once was. Imagine how much old Shaq would have struggled with those centers of the 90s in their prime. Now compare that to how comfortably Shaq could handle Dwight as an old man.

I believe Shaq regards Dwight closer to a Dikembe Mutombo because of his lack of go-to scoring ability than he does guys like Alonzo, Hakeem, D-Rob or Ewing. And that just comes down to how Shaq views the game of basketball and what the duties are of a franchise player -- to be the go-to scorer. To score 25-30ppg. To have the offense run through you in the post.

And I reckon Shaq rates Mutombo above Dwight because Mutombo maintained his standards for longer while Dwight dropped off year-by-year after leaving Orlando. A short peak for Dwight [Mutombo level) and not enough longevity at a high level (below Mutombo). This is how I believe Shaq rates Dwight given Shaq's views on the game.

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2023, 05:21:16 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'd say it is a mix of two things:

(1) Dwight definitely stepped on Shaq's toes. Being the new face of the Orlando Magic (like Shaq was), taking the same "Superman" nickname (like Shaq), wearing the cape in the dunk contest. Each touching to close to home for Shaq.

There was an anger that Dwight did not create a personality / identity of his own and instead was just trying to steal Shaq's. To take what Shaq had built. Both in terms of the NBA overall and also in Orlando where Shaq still has big emotional ties to.

It was disrespect - at least to Shaq.

(2) I reckon Shaq genuinely believes Dwight is over-rated. You can see in his commentary as well as his own style of play that Shaq views scoring and being the go-to scorer as the most important and only real way for a franchise player to be. Dwight was a good but unexceptional scorer.

I also believe Shaq's matchups with Dwight played a role here as well. Shaq was able to defend and shut-down Dwight's scoring comfortably. Dwight was essentially Shaq but 3-4 inches shorter and 40-60lbs lighter. Shaq was able to shut down Dwight's power game in the post easily and Dwight lacked the counters to cause Shaq much trouble. In contast, guys like Ewing, D-Robinson, Hakeem, Mourning gave Shaq much more trouble.

... and these matchups with Dwight were in Shaq's elder years when he was no longer the force he once was. Imagine how much old Shaq would have struggled with those centers of the 90s in their prime. Now compare that to how comfortably Shaq could handle Dwight as an old man.

I believe Shaq regards Dwight closer to a Dikembe Mutombo because of his lack of go-to scoring ability than he does guys like Alonzo, Hakeem, D-Rob or Ewing. And that just comes down to how Shaq views the game of basketball and what the duties are of a franchise player -- to be the go-to scorer. To score 25-30ppg. To have the offense run through you in the post.

And I reckon Shaq rates Mutombo above Dwight because Mutombo maintained his standards for longer while Dwight dropped off year-by-year after leaving Orlando. A short peak for Dwight [Mutombo level) and not enough longevity at a high level (below Mutombo). This is how I believe Shaq rates Dwight given Shaq's views on the game.
Alonzo Mourning is the go-to comparison for me with Dwight, in terms of impact. Dwight was a better rebounder, Zo could score more, but their careers are similar. If Zo hadn't played in such a deep era of big men I think he'd have accolades very comparable to Dwight in terms of All-NBA and All-Defensive team appearances.

But, the main takeaway for me is that Mourning was a HOF guy without question. As is Dwight. Shaq is just biased.

With reference to Dikembe and his "longevity" compared to Dwight, I think you're omitting a pretty major element - by the time Dwight was the age Dikembe was when the latter was a rookie, Dwight was a 4 time All-Star with over 500 NBA games played. Dikembe had a shorter run than Dwight, he just started late
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2023, 05:24:22 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
100% Guarantee

get these brothas together in 2023....

this is ALL you will see...

*sippin*

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2023, 05:33:33 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I don’t know. Dwight’s a goofball, for sure, but that’s about the worst anyone can say about him. Seems like an alright guy.

Do more research here.  D12 is a scumbag of a human being who has routinely been hated by teammates.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2023, 05:35:42 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Thumper of the BASS!

Do more research here.  D12 is a scumbag of a human being who has routinely been hated by teammates.

Wassup Brotha....!!!

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2023, 05:43:17 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Wassup Brotha....!!!

Good seeing you, Bass. 

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2023, 05:52:26 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59

I don’t know man. I’m with Perk here. What makes him a scumbag?

Also, Shaq was never as ripped as Dwight. Always had a little baby fat. Maybe he was p---ed that a guy in better shape more closely resembled Superman?

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2023, 05:53:13 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Thumper of the BASS!

Wassup Brotha....!!!

Good seeing you, Bass.

Always Good seeing you Brotha...

*sippin*