Author Topic: All-Time Scoring Record About to Fall  (Read 19235 times)

Re: All-Time Scoring Record About to Fall
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2023, 01:46:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
In thinking about LeBron breaking the record, I've arrived at the conclusion that scoring so many points was much more difficult for Malone and Kareem, because a) the game was much more physical back then, and b) neither of those guys was ever the league's "golden boy," so they weren't given as much preferential treatment from officials.

And yes, I'm a bit salty about LeBron getting the record. I pretty much can't stand him. ;D

Don’t worry our resident Lebron fan will be in with some obscure small sample stat that proves Lebron had the toughest path. At a larger level I think these all time records are going to get destroyed if the NBA doesn’t adjust the rules to allow defense. There were two games with 270+ tonight. People are scoring 30-40 every game and there are like 6 guys averaging 30+
Wilt's 100 will never be broken.

That's probably as much because teams don't want to disrespect their opponent.  I can't imagine another player will take 63 shots (and another 32 FTAs).  But Kobe, if he was playing today?  With the overall increase in scoring and poor defense, he might be able to jack up enough to get there.
It won't take 63 shots or 32 FT's with the 3 pointer.  I mean Harden had a 60 point game in which he took only 24 FG's (though he did have 23 FT's that game).  He's also had a whole bunch of 50+ point games where he only had a handful of FT's. 

Heck Lillard's 60 point game the other day he only had 10 FT's and 29 FG's.  The 9 of 15 from 3 makes that type of scoring easier.

Obviously to get to 100, you'd need a lot more attempts, but you get one of these great 3 point shooters who just gets hot and I could see 100 with something like 45-50 shots and those games have happened.  Kobe's 81 he was 28 of 46 from the field (7 of 13 from 3) and was 18 of 20 from the line.  You start making some of the those 2 point misses, 3 point makes and that number can go up very quickly.  And Kobe also had a 47 and 50 shot game in his career, so it isn't hard to see how that level of shots could lead to it, especially if scoring continues to increase across the board.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2023, 01:49:48 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
In thinking about LeBron breaking the record, I've arrived at the conclusion that scoring so many points was much more difficult for Malone and Kareem, because a) the game was much more physical back then, and b) neither of those guys was ever the league's "golden boy," so they weren't given as much preferential treatment from officials.

And yes, I'm a bit salty about LeBron getting the record. I pretty much can't stand him. ;D

Don’t worry our resident Lebron fan will be in with some obscure small sample stat that proves Lebron had the toughest path. At a larger level I think these all time records are going to get destroyed if the NBA doesn’t adjust the rules to allow defense. There were two games with 270+ tonight. People are scoring 30-40 every game and there are like 6 guys averaging 30+

Lol 100% called it. Only nice part of this record being broken is this thread will stop getting bumped and along with it the worshipping of a star player on our biggest rival.

« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2023, 02:08:09 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Lol 100% called it. Only nice part of this record being broken is this thread will stop getting bumped and along with it the worshipping of a star player on our biggest rival.

Or, it could get continually bumped every game Lebron plays in, as he extends the record further and further.  Haha.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2023, 04:20:49 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Or, it could get continually bumped every game Lebron plays in, as he extends the record further and further.  Haha.

Oh god

« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2023, 05:34:10 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
Isn’t “all-time” a bit of an embellishment when you consider that “all-time” means 75 years?  That’s only a decade older than me.   Big deal.  75 years from now there will have been a half-dozen new GOATs. Same will be true in football.  When I was a kid (apparently in ancient times) no one was ever going to break Ruth’s home run record or Gehrig’s iron man record.  No one would ever compare to Jim Brown or Russell/Chamberlain. 

GOAT is just a moment in time.

With all due respect, this is one of the most bizarre sports arguments I’ve ever seen. LeBron will have scored more points than anybody else in the history of professional basketball. I get that the history of professional sports doesn’t go back far in relation to the rest of human history, but it’s still extremely noteworthy, especially when you consider the record has stood for about 40 of those 75 years. I understand your point about calling new people the GOAT every generation, but this isn’t that.

« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2023, 05:42:40 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Saw a neat trivia question.  Only 7 players played against both Kareem & Lebron.

If you can get more than 2-3 of them without Googling, color me impressed.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2023, 05:46:32 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell

It’s tempting to think it’s just easier to score now, much like how recent all the 3PM records are or passing records in the NFL, but there’s gotta be a reason that only 2 guys have come within spitting distance of the top 3 in the past 20 years other than LeBron.

« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2023, 05:47:27 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
LeBron has over 2,200 career 3 Pointers
Kareem had ONE

Scoring Record is about to be passed, kinda unfairly.

Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2023, 05:49:19 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Saw a neat trivia question.  Only 7 players played against both Kareem & Lebron.

Kareem retired in 89? and LeBron was obviously drafted in 2003... this is hard. First thought is Jordan but he retired just before James was drafted.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2023, 05:50:15 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Kareem retired in 89? and LeBron was obviously drafted in 2003... this is hard. First thought is Jordan but he retired just before James was drafted.

It's not easy, trust me.

« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2023, 05:50:53 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Two I feel good about:  Reggie Miller, Karl Malone

David Robinson?  Scottie Pippen?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2023, 05:58:27 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell

It's not easy, trust me.

Did Shawn Kemp somehow pull it off? Maybe Vlade Divac, but he would have played with Kareem?

« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2023, 06:00:41 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Two I feel good about:  Reggie Miller, Karl Malone

David Robinson?  Scottie Pippen?

This is where it gets a bit tricky.  Played against both

« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2023, 06:11:46 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Btw, Reggie is one.

« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2023, 06:15:39 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I am guessing Malone, pippen, Reggie miller, Marc Jackson and Kevin Willis (Willis I am pretty certain if he played forever and then a stint of like 10 games when he in his mid 40’s).