Author Topic: 20 Games In - What Are Your Thoughts?  (Read 5873 times)

Re: 20 Games In - What Are Your Thoughts?
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2022, 11:03:36 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Everything I hoped for this summer and more. They've come out focused, everyone's taken a step forward, somehow Al is still doing his thing.

I'm not worried about the defense because the offense has been so staggeringly good that they still have the best net rating in the NBA and the personnel to turn up the defensive volume when they have to. And they'll have to. But we've seen them do it and Timelord will help there.

What a fun team.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2022, 11:52:16 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
Quoting Hoopvortex: "how much offensive rebounding a team does is not just a function of personnel; some coaches would just prefer to get back down the court and stop their opponent's early offense. On a spectrum between maximum pressure on the O board and maximum change-ends-and-set-up-the-defense, Joe has placed Boston at the far end."

Started typing a similar sentiment only to see it already layed out.  I second this.  Not saying it's the only factor...just likely the biggest one.  Especially if we consider that the personnel factor likely weighs into it. 

I want to say Stevens had them playing this way too, with Ime shifting a bit closer to the middle of the 'dial'....but memory might not be serving me there.  [I know for sure those Zeller/Olynyk/A. Johnson/Jerebko frontcourts produced rebounding advantages for the opponent nightly.]

Additionally with regard to offensive rebounding — the Celtics are shooting 50% from the field.  When you’re shooting that well, there will be fewer offensive rebounds available to begin with, further limiting the value of pursuing an aggressive offensive rebounding strategy.

« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2022, 12:16:16 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Im not gonna worry too much about total rebounding numbers or offensive rebound numbers. All I care about are defensive rebounds and were doing okay in that aspect. We are shooting very well, its harder to get offensive boards if you miss less.

Another thing is our defensive problems is getting overblown imho. Our D rating the last 10 games I think is top 10. The overall numbers is still getting skewed by the bad defensive start.

« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2022, 12:26:56 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Brogdon and White is so fun watch .  Best basketball since KG and Rondo and Paul,
I really enjoy watching the two of them. Brogdon because he just killed the Celtics for so many years and now he's actually on the team. He's been as good as I expected him to be. White I love because he's just a bulldog. He may get beat once on defense, but it doesn't affect him - and he'll just make the next play.  And all the work he did on his shooting over the summer has paid off.

« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2022, 01:41:43 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
If we were an NFL team, we would not be asking this 🤣

Obviously we have the best 48-minute backcourt in the league (Smart/Brown and White/Brogdon). JT is possibly the best wing in the world now. And JT’s favorite player and possibly our best defender has been out all 20 games yet we’re .800. Dare I say it: One of the best coaching staffs courtesy of Mazz and Stevens? Surely the latter is feeding ideas to the former. Or is Mazz really this good on his own? Either way, Udoka ought to be officially let go after the holidays, and Mazz made permanent HC on January 1.

Hopefully we can continue this magical ride all the way to Banner 18
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 01:47:06 AM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2022, 01:51:27 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
I really, really want to see us against the Bucks. Their defense has been elite this year. Assuming we stay healthy, it’s the only challenge I see in the East. I really want a rematch with GSW in the finals (they seem to be figuring it out and they’re winning again). Beat them in 5, maybe 6.

This. I badly want the rematch. So badly.

« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2022, 07:24:53 AM »

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • International Superstar
If we were an NFL team, we would not be asking this 🤣

Obviously we have the best 48-minute backcourt in the league (Smart/Brown and White/Brogdon). JT is possibly the best wing in the world now. And JT’s favorite player and possibly our best defender has been out all 20 games yet we’re .800. Dare I say it: One of the best coaching staffs courtesy of Mazz and Stevens? Surely the latter is feeding ideas to the former. Or is Mazz really this good on his own? Either way, Udoka ought to be officially let go after the holidays, and Mazz made permanent HC on January 1.

Hopefully we can continue this magical ride all the way to Banner 18
Mazz is the C's permanent HC insofar as Udoka was never going to come back - but I'm pretty sure Ime's official release will be based on the C's exhausting every option to fire him 'with cause' (i.e. not having to pay out his contract) or he quits rather than serving his suspension/leaves for a new team (same deal), rather than any timings to do with the team.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2022, 09:41:17 AM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
Couldn't ask for a better start in my opinion - Hauser has filled in perfectly for Gallinari. And I never would have thought Mazulla would have the team performing this well.  Right now, we're in the running for Exec of the Year, Coach of the Year, MVP, and 6th Man of the Year (Brogdon).

« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2022, 10:09:56 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Everything I had hoped for and some more. We are playing absolutely ridiculous basketball right now - our relative offence would be better than any Showtime Laker or Bird Celtics squad if the season ended today (8.9 points per 100 possessions better than league average!). And while our defence has been quite underwhelming, a big reason for our poor numbers so far is a disastrous start to the season on that end of the floor (we have been top 10 on defence recently). As for overall performance, our adjusted (for opponent strength) point differential is currently 3rd best in club history - just behind the oft-underrated '08 squad and the revered '86 title team with our best player being nowhere near the level of Garnett and Bird.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2022, 02:19:19 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Couldn't ask for a better start in my opinion - Hauser has filled in perfectly for Gallinari. And I never would have thought Mazulla would have the team performing this well.  Right now, we're in the running for Exec of the Year, Coach of the Year, MVP, and 6th Man of the Year (Brogdon).
and most importantly, Banner 18

« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2022, 02:40:39 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
It's been a great start, to state the obvious. The defense is off, but I think that getting Rob back will (after he shakes off the rust) correct a lot of that. I'm not sure the offense can keep up this pace for a whole season plus playoffs, but if it can, they won't even need a great defense, just a decent one.

Hauser has been much better than I expected, and Brogdon and White have been outstanding. Then again, which regulars haven't been really good this season? Everyone is filling their role, including Kornet.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2022, 02:41:49 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
It's great to be reminded of the feeling I used to get in the Bird era and then again in 2007-8 and for a couple subsequent years -- that confidence that the C's can/should win every time they take the court.  It feels like the natural progression from where they ended last season.   On the downside, I still feel that the C's have given away big leads and too often get sloppy and cocky -- this won't work in the playoffs.  They need to get that killer mindset for 48 minutes.  Despite his 6-9 from 3, 15 assist gem last night, I still cringe when Marcus hoists threes and when he overdoes the no-look or thread the needle passes.  In the flow of when they are rolling it's different than when it feels like he's looking for the spectacular play up 20.   Those moments make me feel as though the C's have lost their focus and we can almost expect a double-digit run by the opposition.   Smart adds big value to the team in general, but I almost wish he never has those 6-9 games because it reinforces to him that he can/should keep shooting from distance.  Love him in the lane. Love the passing (for the most part).

« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2022, 03:03:45 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
I think its almost too good to be true.

The team is
+8.4, on 50/40/85 shooting splits, TS%=63%.
This would be tough for an individual player to maintain, they're All-NBA types of numbers.
And we do this as a team.

I'm worried about the defense. The team, rightfully so far, believes they can just outscore anyone else.

It sure is fun to watch!

« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2023, 09:26:47 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
As we approach the halfway point of the season, Boston is still the 1 seed.  Rob has come back and the rebounding has improved as Boston now only has a 0.5 rpg deficit instead of the 2 rpg deficit at around the 20 game mark and the defense is now up to 10th (in DRTG), but as I also projected the offense has taken a hit, though Boston still has the top offense in the sport (by both ppg and ORTG).  Net Rating is 2nd. 

Hauser continues to be a pleasant surprise.  He has played quite well and his shooting has remained great.  White's shooting has come back down to more in line with his career averages, I had hoped he had it figured out, but it appears his start was more just a hot streak and not the new normal.   Pritchard isn't playing much, perhaps he can be moved to get a veteran big man (of similar or slightly better quality).  It would be nice to add someone in behind Al, Rob, and Grant that can reliably play, especially as Al and Rob continue to take nights off (no offense to Blake and Kornet, but we need to be better there).

Overall a very positive 1st half.  As I said, I'd like to see another big man added and I'm also a bit concerned that no one else has had their typical 2-week injury yet (Brown, Smart, and Brogdon have typically had one of those), but on the whole excellent 1st half. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip