Author Topic: Rest in Peace Paul Silas  (Read 1884 times)

Re: Rest in Peace Paul Silas
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2022, 01:50:06 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He was an oak tree of a man.   He had a body way ahead of his time.   The final piece in the Cowens, Havlicek and Sam Jones era that put us over the top.

He put the power into the concept of power forward!

May he RIP!

I think you mean Jojo White (instead of Sam Jones)  :D

That is whom I meant, thanks!

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2022, 04:17:06 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
One of the best Celtics not to have his number retired - RIP

Since 35 has been retired, it seems like it wouldn't be that big a deal to put Silas up there with Reggie Lewis.

Paul Silas was such an important member of the 74 and 76 championship team.

https://andscape.com/features/nba-great-paul-silas-was-forged-in-oakland-california-a-product-and-part-of-its-legendary-black-history/
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 05:37:09 PM by Emmette Bryant »

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2022, 07:23:02 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
One of the best Celtics not to have his number retired - RIP

Since 35 has been retired, it seems like it wouldn't be that big a deal to put Silas up there with Reggie Lewis.

Paul Silas was such an important member of the 74 and 76 championship team.

I totally agree. His addition was similar to that of Dennis Johnson to the 80's group - a great player with unique skills that got their respective teams over the championship hump. (I realize Bird's team won in 1981, but the situation had deteriorated under Coach Fitch, ending with a 4-game sweep by the Bucks. Brought in KC Jones and Dennis Johnson and won 2 of the next 3 titles).

Paul Silas, along with Cedric Maxwell, is my 2nd favorite Celtic of all-time (Dave Cowens, for me, is #1).
I loved watching Silas and Cowens just pound teams into dust on the boards, both averaging double-digit rebounds.

It would be great to have Paul Silas in the rafters. Probably was not because he left in a somewhat forced trade, demanding more money than Red was willing to pay. I think it was Dave Cowens who said, "Pay him, All he did was win us two titles in three years."
Kinda cool that the two were able to coach together years later in Charlotte.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce