Author Topic: What do we think will change with Interim Coach Mazzulla?  (Read 1425 times)

What do we think will change with Interim Coach Mazzulla?
« on: September 23, 2022, 12:29:20 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Obviously we don't know a lot about Coach Mazzulla, but we do know a lot about Ime.  Which of Ime's approach to coaching do we think is mostly likely to change now that he's gone?  Too bad nesmith isn't here because maybe he would have gotten run with someone else :).  Or maybe one big?  Or something else?

Re: What do we think will change with Interim Coach Mazzulla?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 12:43:37 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'd like to think we'd play more than a 9 man rotation, but that would actually require having more than 9 quality players on the team.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 12:51:20 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I'd like to think we'd play more than a 9 man rotation, but that would actually require having more than 9 quality players on the team.
For long stretches with Ime, it was 7-man rotation with #8 and #9 getting only spot minutes. That's unsustainable, as we saw. I've got to think Mazzulo will use the bench more because there is no 'less'.

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 01:11:39 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I mentioned on another thread how Joe did stellar job with 2021 summer team. I expect to see higher usage of Pritchard. Emphasis on ball movement. Otherwise a continuation of Ime’s points of emphasis.

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 03:28:45 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
That was summer league.  Stevens seems to have confidence in him from comments I read.    I am willing to give him a fair shot but as yet, I am not completely confident in his abilities but only because I have never seen him head coach an NBA team.

I do think we need to hire someone that Tatum and Brown like as an assistant.   They were excited to have a black head coach.

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2022, 03:30:21 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
I don't know what on-court will change because of coaching vs. personnel.  With Rob out and a thinner frontcourt, the game plans will naturally be difference.

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2022, 04:53:59 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Obviously we don't know a lot about Coach Mazzulla, but we do know a lot about Ime.  Which of Ime's approach to coaching do we think is mostly likely to change now that he's gone?  Too bad nesmith isn't here because maybe he would have gotten run with someone else :).  Or maybe one big?  Or something else?

Personally I hope not much. There wasn't much wrong with what the Cs did last year, particularly during the 2nd half of the year. Maybe he has a bigger circle of trust than Ime did, if you weren't someone Ime trusted he wasn't going to give you minutes for the sake of it, or to keep you happy, or for "development reasons". Ime made you earn the minutes, probably because as a journeyman he had to earn his. So he had like 7-8 people he trusted and those were the ones who played. He wasn't one of those NBA2k guys that have a 14 man rotation where the last 6 play like 2-3 mins each  :police:

I honestly know very little about Joe Mazz, what his coaching philosophies are, how his man management is...but I'm excited to find out.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2022, 04:56:13 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
That was summer league.  Stevens seems to have confidence in him from comments I read.    I am willing to give him a fair shot but as yet, I am not completely confident in his abilities but only because I have never seen him head coach an NBA team.

I do think we need to hire someone that Tatum and Brown like as an assistant.   They were excited to have a black head coach.

Joe Mazz is biracial. His mother is black.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2022, 11:28:30 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I hope we run that free-flowing offense we saw Coach Mazzulla run in Summer League last year.

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2022, 11:41:22 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
He won’t date other Celtics employees? ?    ??  ?  ???