Author Topic: NFL 2022 Season  (Read 116973 times)

Re: NFL 2022 Season
« Reply #315 on: October 04, 2022, 08:45:10 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
So it has come out that the NFLPA fired the independent doctor that examined Tua because he was "hostile" in the process and didn't understand his role.  But no allegation of an incorrect diagnosis or any mistakes with respect to medical treatment.  So basically a personality thing.

In fairness, we don't know what the allegations mean.  Hostility in the process *could* mean that was evasive in his answers.  "Didn't understand his role" *might* mean that he was deferential to team doctors instead of conducting a truly independent analysis.

At some point, I'm sure we'll get a report -- or competing reports -- about what the doctor is alleged to have done wrong.  In the interim, the NFLPA and NFL will negotiate additional protocol. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #316 on: October 04, 2022, 08:52:23 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
So it has come out that the NFLPA fired the independent doctor that examined Tua because he was "hostile" in the process and didn't understand his role.  But no allegation of an incorrect diagnosis or any mistakes with respect to medical treatment.  So basically a personality thing.

In fairness, we don't know what the allegations mean.  Hostility in the process *could* mean that was evasive in his answers.  "Didn't understand his role" *might* mean that he was deferential to team doctors instead of conducting a truly independent analysis.

At some point, I'm sure we'll get a report -- or competing reports -- about what the doctor is alleged to have done wrong.  In the interim, the NFLPA and NFL will negotiate additional protocol.
That is true, but the reporters that were talking about it said it didn't appear related to a medical diagnosis.

Sounds a whole lot like a PR thing.

That said it appears they are actually going to change the protocol such that any hit that affects gross motor control for any reason will automatically pull the player from the rest of the game.  In that case it makes no difference if it is head, back, or some other body part that is injured.  That seems like a good change to make. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #317 on: October 04, 2022, 09:20:14 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

That is true, but the reporters that were talking about it said it didn't appear related to a medical diagnosis.

That said it appears they are actually going to change the protocol such that any hit that affects gross motor control for any reason will automatically pull the player from the rest of the game.  In that case it makes no difference if it is head, back, or some other body part that is injured.  That seems like a good change to make.

Agreed.  I'll be interested if the players as a whole agree. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #318 on: October 04, 2022, 09:27:47 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Agreed.  I'll be interested if the players as a whole agree.
I doubt they will because something could be deemed gross motor control that actually isn't.  Like a guy getting the wind knocked out of him and stumbling around because he can't breathe, but then recovers his breath in a minute or two and is perfectly fine.  That would be a tough pill to swallow.  Or what if Tua really did only hurt his back and had a bit of a back stinger, but really was fine after a few minutes.  Should that keep them out?

At some point there does need to be a recognition that football is a dangerous game and there is going to be risk.  The league and NFLPA absolutely need to protect players from themselves and their teams, but they can take this too far in that direction.  Some would argue they already have with how sensitive they are to QB hits, going further could cause even more of that. 

« Reply #319 on: October 04, 2022, 10:00:30 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
Tua never should have been in that game. Greed is making decisions. At the end of the day, corporate interests and winning trump health and safety. Nothing new.

« Reply #320 on: October 04, 2022, 10:06:25 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Tua never should have been in that game. Greed is making decisions. At the end of the day, corporate interests and winning trump health and safety. Nothing new.
What game?  I think most would agree he probably shouldn't have been back in on the Sunday game, but Thursday is a much closer question.

« Reply #321 on: October 04, 2022, 10:28:06 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Some would argue they already have with how sensitive they are to QB hits...

On that point, has anybody noticed the number of absurd personal fouls called this year on sliding QBs.  It's one thing if a defensive player hits a defenseless QB after he has begun his slide.  Those are legit penalties.  I'm talking about the calls where a defender has already lunged to make a tackle, the QB slides down when the defender can't possibly stop himself (sometimes because he's in the air), and a penalty is still called for fairly incidental contact.

« Reply #322 on: October 04, 2022, 10:36:51 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
Some would argue they already have with how sensitive they are to QB hits...

On that point, has anybody noticed the number of absurd personal fouls called this year on sliding QBs.  It's one thing if a defensive player hits a defenseless QB after he has begun his slide.  Those are legit penalties.  I'm talking about the calls where a defender has already lunged to make a tackle, the QB slides down when the defender can't possibly stop himself (sometimes because he's in the air), and a penalty is still called for fairly incidental contact.

Oh for sure. Like how the hell are you even supposed to defend these mobile QBs then?? So Josh Allen can try to truck defenders but if a defender is already lunging at Allen and he decides to slide super last second, it's a pass interference on the defense?? Even in that Bills-Ravens game, the Ravens got hosed on that "roughing the passer" call they gave Allen. I think replays even showed Allen crying towards the refs about it and then he got the late flag 
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #323 on: October 04, 2022, 10:37:46 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
What game?  I think most would agree he probably shouldn't have been back in on the Sunday game, but Thursday is a much closer question.

Tua got hammered the week before and was stumbling around. It wasn’t that he had a broken leg- it was a function of getting hit in the head. That alone should have led to Teddy Bridgewater starting the next week. That doesn’t happen, and Tua is compromised, again.

« Reply #324 on: October 04, 2022, 01:05:58 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
Sounds like Brady and Gisele are heading for a divorce officially

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1577330002407919617
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #325 on: October 04, 2022, 01:10:12 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

Yep. Just read this on WEEI as well. She really didn’t want him playing anymore…I can’t imagine that Tom has more than 1 or 2 more years left of football anyway. Yeesh.

Per WEEI: It looks like Tom Brady’s marriage to Gisele Bundchen could end before the conclusion of his NFL career.

Page Six reports both Brady and Bundchen have retained divorce lawyers, citing “multiple sources.” Brady’s desire to keep playing football is apparently at the crux of their rift.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #326 on: October 04, 2022, 01:12:28 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 995

Yep. Just read this on WEEI as well. She really didn’t want him playing anymore…I can’t imagine that Tom has more than 1 or 2 more years left of football anyway. Yeesh.

Per WEEI: It looks like Tom Brady’s marriage to Gisele Bundchen could end before the conclusion of his NFL career.

Page Six reports both Brady and Bundchen have retained divorce lawyers, citing “multiple sources.” Brady’s desire to keep playing football is apparently at the crux of their rift.

Tom can still play tho lol

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #327 on: October 04, 2022, 01:27:43 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

Tom can still play tho lol

I agree, but apparently a year of two was too long to wait. Oh, well.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #328 on: October 04, 2022, 03:20:24 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Hope Brady had a prenuptial agreement or he be playing another 10 years to pay her off
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #329 on: October 04, 2022, 03:32:16 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Hope Brady had a prenuptial agreement or he be playing another 10 years to pay her off
She has a greater estimated net worth than he does ($400M to $250M).