Author Topic: Lebron extends with LAL  (Read 6383 times)

Re: Lebron extends with LAL
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2022, 11:23:53 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Thought this one interesting from the article Lebron talks about playing with his sons:

One successful AAU director I speak to, who asks not to be named, for fear of getting on LeBron’s bad side, worries about Bronny’s size, based on the common assumption that, at 17, he is done growing. “I think he’s a good player, but I was at the NBA combine last year and maybe two or three guys were under 6' 3", and they had 45-inch verticals and Olympic speed. At [his] size, to get to the NBA is going to be very, very difficult.”

He pauses. “But LeBron is a very powerful person. Who knows what he can pull off?”

If bronny really doesn’t grow anymore and is not actually an nba player will Lebron force him to be in the league anyways? That would seem awkward for everyone involved.

I think it gets pretty difficult to define where “force” begins and “NBA GM takes a second round flyer on Bronny to get a season of ticket sales out of signing LeBron to a one year deal” ends.

I think a lot of teams would spend a first on Bronny to get a year out of LeBron, especially at a potential not-max contract rate.  The only question is how high of a first.
The thing is, Lebron has consistently said his last year he wants to play with his son, which does not mean the first year he could.  Today a story came out about him sticking around long enough to play with Bryce.  I don't think Lebron has any intention of leaving LA for several more years and given he is still playing at a high level, why should he since he obviously loves the game.  If the team was reaching to lure Lebron by drafting Bronny, that easily could end up as a wasted pick.  Bronny could however actually earn a shot in the league on his own.  He clearly has talent and is worthy of a top 35 rating from ESPN.  He isn't a kid that has no shot at the league based on where his talent currently puts him.

All that said, Bryce looks like a much better prospect than Bronny.  He is already taller than Bronny and still will likely grow more.  He will have a body that much more closely resembles his father and he is rating out much higher than Bronny at a similar age.  If Lebron is serious about sticking around long enough for Bryce, then that is the son that will make for a better teammate for the father.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2022, 11:26:42 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Thought this one interesting from the article Lebron talks about playing with his sons:

One successful AAU director I speak to, who asks not to be named, for fear of getting on LeBron’s bad side, worries about Bronny’s size, based on the common assumption that, at 17, he is done growing. “I think he’s a good player, but I was at the NBA combine last year and maybe two or three guys were under 6' 3", and they had 45-inch verticals and Olympic speed. At [his] size, to get to the NBA is going to be very, very difficult.”

He pauses. “But LeBron is a very powerful person. Who knows what he can pull off?”

If bronny really doesn’t grow anymore and is not actually an nba player will Lebron force him to be in the league anyways? That would seem awkward for everyone involved.

I think it gets pretty difficult to define where “force” begins and “NBA GM takes a second round flyer on Bronny to get a season of ticket sales out of signing LeBron to a one year deal” ends.

I think a lot of teams would spend a first on Bronny to get a year out of LeBron, especially at a potential not-max contract rate.  The only question is how high of a first.

Depends on how he looks after two more years. I know he takes incredible care of his body, but even someone like Karl Malone who was more durable than Lebron in his late thirties completely broke down in his final season after playing 80 games in his age 37-39 seasons. We are already seeing Lebron have more injuries each year. Definitely something interesting to watch the next two seasons. I think the key will be dramatically reducing lebrons minutes starting this year. Last year was like a carnival show. It does seem like ham could stand up to Lebron a bit and Lebron may respect him more.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 11:40:24 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2022, 11:42:24 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

The thing is, Lebron has consistently said his last year he wants to play with his son, which does not mean the first year he could.  Today a story came out about him sticking around long enough to play with Bryce.  I don't think Lebron has any intention of leaving LA for several more years and given he is still playing at a high level, why should he since he obviously loves the game.  If the team was reaching to lure Lebron by drafting Bronny, that easily could end up as a wasted pick.  Bronny could however actually earn a shot in the league on his own.  He clearly has talent and is worthy of a top 35 rating from ESPN.  He isn't a kid that has no shot at the league based on where his talent currently puts him.

All that said, Bryce looks like a much better prospect than Bronny.  He is already taller than Bronny and still will likely grow more.  He will have a body that much more closely resembles his father and he is rating out much higher than Bronny at a similar age.  If Lebron is serious about sticking around long enough for Bryce, then that is the son that will make for a better teammate for the father.

Bronny is an nba prospect, but basically all the articles I have read have made him seem like someone that really needs a few years of college.