Author Topic: Stanley Johnson anyone?  (Read 3248 times)

Re: Stanley Johnson anyone?
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2022, 11:23:23 AM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
He's solid but not spectacular on defense, and he really sucks on offense.

I wouldn't spend an asset on him.  If we want that profile, sign Josh Jackson.

Yeah, either one of those guys on a minimum deal would be good. I think Stanly Johnson is on a minimum deal and I'd be willing to give a second round pick for him.

Why, though?  He’s not better than guys you could just sign for the minimum.  So why throw away a pick?  Second rounders aren’t THAT useless.

If I’m going to give up an asset, I want it to be for somebody better than the dregs of free agency, at least.

You could sign Josh Jackson to a minimum deal and I think Stanley Johnson is worth a second round pick... Johnson is a physical defender but not much on offense.

How does he compare to Semi Ojeleye

Semi is stronger but Stanley is longer and taller. Both role player defenders off the bench. Both are not good shooters.

The Lakers used Johnson relatively effectively as a small-ball 5 when paired with Davis, and I think he could have a similar role here opposite Horford.  He’s not special, but he’s better than Kornet, although Kornet has the advantage of being very tall.

Anyway you slice it we’re going to need to go small ball while Rob is out, and Johnson would fit that mold.

I'd still sign a veteran center -- a more traditional one -- and look to bolster the wing with somebody like Harkless if he's cut.  We don't need great players, but veterans who know how to play defense would be helpful.

I don’t think Johnson and another center should be mutually exclusive, but I do think it is telling that the Lakers performed much better when Johnson played relative to Dwight, and really took a lot of Howard’s minutes beginning in February.

In other words, while having both would be better, I think if we had both, we’d find that we used Johnson more.
What to you think of Johnson paired with Grant (or Tatum)
Early on we don't need someone to pair with Al, but to play when Al is out/on the bench.

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2022, 11:30:27 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

Yeah, either one of those guys on a minimum deal would be good. I think Stanly Johnson is on a minimum deal and I'd be willing to give a second round pick for him.

Why, though?  He’s not better than guys you could just sign for the minimum.  So why throw away a pick?  Second rounders aren’t THAT useless.

If I’m going to give up an asset, I want it to be for somebody better than the dregs of free agency, at least.

You could sign Josh Jackson to a minimum deal and I think Stanley Johnson is worth a second round pick... Johnson is a physical defender but not much on offense.

Semi is stronger but Stanley is longer and taller. Both role player defenders off the bench. Both are not good shooters.

The Lakers used Johnson relatively effectively as a small-ball 5 when paired with Davis, and I think he could have a similar role here opposite Horford.  He’s not special, but he’s better than Kornet, although Kornet has the advantage of being very tall.

Anyway you slice it we’re going to need to go small ball while Rob is out, and Johnson would fit that mold.

I'd still sign a veteran center -- a more traditional one -- and look to bolster the wing with somebody like Harkless if he's cut.  We don't need great players, but veterans who know how to play defense would be helpful.

I don’t think Johnson and another center should be mutually exclusive, but I do think it is telling that the Lakers performed much better when Johnson played relative to Dwight, and really took a lot of Howard’s minutes beginning in February.

In other words, while having both would be better, I think if we had both, we’d find that we used Johnson more.
Early on we don't need someone to pair with Al, but to play when Al is out/on the bench.

I think we need both.  We’re down two players in our frontcourt, Gallo and Rob, and I think we need two to replace them.  That said, I think that because we have such large guards and wings that Johnson’s switchability would pair better with Tatum or Grant at the 4 than someone who lacks that mobility.  We’d be undersized at the 5 but average-or large-sized everywhere else with a lot of quickness, which can create problems for opponents.  In a perfect world we’d have a mobile center for that role so we didn’t have to give up size anywhere, but we aren’t finding one of those for the minimum in October.

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2022, 11:42:15 AM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown

I think we need both.  We’re down two players in our frontcourt, Gallo and Rob, and I think we need two to replace them.  That said, I think that because we have such large guards and wings that Johnson’s switchability would pair better with Tatum or Grant at the 4 than someone who lacks that mobility.  We’d be undersized at the 5 but average-or large-sized everywhere else with a lot of quickness, which can create problems for opponents.  In a perfect world we’d have a mobile center for that role so we didn’t have to give up size anywhere, but we aren’t finding one of those for the minimum in October.
OK, I agree.
I'm worried that we look more like the beginning of last year.
We have Kornet instead of Freedom, which I think is a downgrade
Vonleh instead of Parker/Hermongomez where both options are/were a crapshoot.

Do you think the Celtics will be able to stick to not playing Al in back-to-backs?

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2022, 05:00:59 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Seems like a guy that would be nice to have if he was free to have.

But, as has been said, I don't know that he's any better than Justin Jackson.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2022, 06:05:19 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
Seems like a guy that would be nice to have if he was free to have.

But, as has been said, I don't know that he's any better than Justin Jackson.
Don't know if I agree, and I know Johnson isn't available yet, but why not both?

If we are going to throw stuff against the wall and see what sticks, should we throw it at the same time?

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2022, 11:10:09 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
He's available? He would be a good defense bench player.