Author Topic: Lebron extends with LAL  (Read 6322 times)

Re: Lebron extends with LAL
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2022, 09:48:25 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Sooo with his $97.1M contract does this make the Lakers more dangerous or nah?

More dangerous as in now they can offload Westbrook for Irving/Harris or grab guys like Hield/Turner etc

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2022, 09:52:53 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
More money then I thought, but that is exactly what I was predicting he would do.  This will now open the door to trading both 27 and 29 to improve the team.  The Lakers were hesitant to do so until Lebron committed.  Now I expect to see a Kyrie for Russ swap come to pass with at least 1 if not both of the picks going to the Nets and probably Harris and/or Curry also going to the Lakers.

Edit: Looks like if the cap increases enough in 23-24 it could end up worth as much as 111 million over the two years.
as much of a headache as Kyrie has been for the Nets really hate that deal for them -- especially if there's anything other than Irving going to the Lakers.  Would really want to see LA stay a dumpster fire and Durant become even more irritated with Irving missing a lot of games and Simmons lack of commitment to playing or improving his game.

Unless  there's another market for Harris, I think that Kyrie + Harris for Westbrook + two #1s is a good deal for both teams.  Those Lakers picks could be pretty good, and Kyrie is gone next season regardless.  Meanwhile, the Lakers would look very good on paper:

Bryant
Davis
Lebron
Harris
Irving

The rest of that roster is a giant dumpster dive, though.
I wouldn't expect those first rounders to be out of the 20's and I for one would not want Westbrook on the team.  He does not win plain and simple.  he'd be on the court more than Kyrie but that's small consolation.  why add yet another shooting-challenged guard to a backcourt with Simmons?

just don't see the appeal of Westbrook no matter what Kyrie has done.

The first rounders are in five and seven years.  I wouldn’t expect them to be in the 20s.  And Westbrook would be released.
they're the Lakers.  they have no problem attracting FAs.  they may have a season or two where they have a bad record but not several and even less likely during years when they won't be able to take advantage of a bad season with making use of their own pick
Yes, but they also had a string of 6 years without making the playoffs and missed the playoffs last year.
I don’t know I think they are a lot better run than they were under jim buss. Don’t see the current regime giving 150 million to a washed deng and mosgov. I wouldn't expect that from them in the next 7 years. Anything is possible, but aside from that Jim buss stretch they are very similar to Miami in terms of almost always being competitive because of their location.

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2022, 10:00:25 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
More money then I thought, but that is exactly what I was predicting he would do.  This will now open the door to trading both 27 and 29 to improve the team.  The Lakers were hesitant to do so until Lebron committed.  Now I expect to see a Kyrie for Russ swap come to pass with at least 1 if not both of the picks going to the Nets and probably Harris and/or Curry also going to the Lakers.

Edit: Looks like if the cap increases enough in 23-24 it could end up worth as much as 111 million over the two years.
as much of a headache as Kyrie has been for the Nets really hate that deal for them -- especially if there's anything other than Irving going to the Lakers.  Would really want to see LA stay a dumpster fire and Durant become even more irritated with Irving missing a lot of games and Simmons lack of commitment to playing or improving his game.

Unless  there's another market for Harris, I think that Kyrie + Harris for Westbrook + two #1s is a good deal for both teams.  Those Lakers picks could be pretty good, and Kyrie is gone next season regardless.  Meanwhile, the Lakers would look very good on paper:

Bryant
Davis
Lebron
Harris
Irving

I wouldn't expect those first rounders to be out of the 20's and I for one would not want Westbrook on the team.  He does not win plain and simple.  he'd be on the court more than Kyrie but that's small consolation.  why add yet another shooting-challenged guard to a backcourt with Simmons?

The first rounders are in five and seven years.  I wouldn’t expect them to be in the 20s.  And Westbrook would be released.
they're the Lakers.  they have no problem attracting FAs.  they may have a season or two where they have a bad record but not several and even less likely during years when they won't be able to take advantage of a bad season with making use of their own pick
Yes, but they also had a string of 6 years without making the playoffs and missed the playoffs last year.

Yeah, they’ve missed the playoffs in 7 of the last 9 seasons, they’re built around a star on the brink of retirement, and they have no real prospects.  I wouldn’t bet on the Lakers future.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2022, 10:07:39 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Bryant
Davis
Lebron
Harris
Irving

Yeah, they’ve missed the playoffs in 7 of the last 9 seasons, they’re built around a star on the brink of retirement, and they have no real prospects.  I wouldn’t bet on the Lakers future.

I disagree. This is really discounting the Jim buss era which featured two of the worst signings ever (mosgov is kind of the worst one of the top of my head I can think of) and deng was completely washed for 4 years 80 million.  Also, we have seen players taking more agency over their careers. Of the marquee cities in New York, LA and Miami that either offer immense business opportunities, incredible nightlife or both, are people noticing the trend of the last 5 years? Paul George, Leonard, Anthony Davis, Lebron, Durant, irving and butler have all either signed in one of these areas or forced their way to one of these cities. Don’t believe there has ever been a period like that for those three cities in a 5 year span before.

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2022, 10:49:07 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
No way Nets are salary dumping Kyrie for 2 draft picks down the road. Houston owns all their picks for the next 5 years. Their best bet is to fire Nash and Marks, extend Kyrie to match Durant, and ride it out for the rest of this era.

The Nets are a legitimate contender the moment this sideshow subsides and they get back to basketball.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2022, 11:00:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
No way Nets are salary dumping Kyrie for 2 draft picks down the road. Houston owns all their picks for the next 5 years. Their best bet is to fire Nash and Marks, extend Kyrie to match Durant, and ride it out for the rest of this era.

The Nets are a legitimate contender the moment this sideshow subsides and they get back to basketball.
They are almost certainly going to lose Kyrie next summer or will sign him to the worst contract in basketball history.  No one else wants him for anything of value.  The Nets have backed themselves into a corner, so I actually thinking trading Irving, dumping Harris, and getting some salary relief and 2 future picks that could be valuable makes a lot of sense depending on what happens with Durant.  If they end up trading Durant for lesser "stars" like Brown or Ingram and future picks, they aren't going to contend anyway, so they might as well pick up some potentially valuable assets down the line for a guy they don't want and will probably leave next summer anyway.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2022, 04:54:05 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Bryant
Davis
Lebron
Harris
Irving

I disagree. This is really discounting the Jim buss era which featured two of the worst signings ever (mosgov is kind of the worst one of the top of my head I can think of) and deng was completely washed for 4 years 80 million.  Also, we have seen players taking more agency over their careers. Of the marquee cities in New York, LA and Miami that either offer immense business opportunities, incredible nightlife or both, are people noticing the trend of the last 5 years? Paul George, Leonard, Anthony Davis, Lebron, Durant, irving and butler have all either signed in one of these areas or forced their way to one of these cities. Don’t believe there has ever been a period like that for those three cities in a 5 year span before.

Wasn't Deng paid for a very long time even after retiring

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2022, 06:21:38 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
All James want is money..if he care bout winning, he would take less money to try win a championship..he, of course, doesn’t need all that cash but guess those steroids cost a lot..Lakers gotta regret this
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2022, 07:56:58 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
All James want is money..if he care bout winning, he would take less money to try win a championship..he, of course, doesn’t need all that cash but guess those steroids cost a lot..Lakers gotta regret this

Nice point.

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2022, 08:14:04 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Silly on LeBron's behalf IMO
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2022, 08:40:24 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Silly on LeBron's behalf IMO
Unless he had to do it for the Lakers to include some future draft capital to move off of Westbrook and make the team better in the short term.

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2022, 08:40:27 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Why are people dissing Lebron for this?

It sounds like he doesn't want to leave Los Angeles within the next two years, and he's guaranteeing himself a whole bunch of money if he gets hurt this year.  Plus, this gives the Lakers some stability, allowing Lebron to pressure the front office to go all-in for a title.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2022, 09:42:30 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Woj gave an update on some Lakers rumors:

The Lakers remain active in trade talks and would part with their 2027 and 2029 first-round picks in the right deal, ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski said in an appearance on Sports Center (video link). Those picks “have a lot of value in the marketplace” if they’re unprotected, Wojnarowski states. He adds that L.A. would be willing to give them up in a trade for Kyrie Irving, but the Nets haven’t been interested. – via Hoops Rumors

The Lakers have also engaged in “on and off again” talks with the Pacers about Myles Turner and Buddy Hield, sources tell Wojnarowski, but L.A. wouldn’t trade both future first-rounders in that deal. – via Hoops Rumors

I'm a bit surprised, in that a month ago the Nets allegedly wanted to move on from Kyrie.  Two unprotected first rounders is the best they'll do, and more than any team would pay.

It's sound more like the Nets are just going to run it back, and hope things work out for the best.

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2022, 11:17:49 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Discussing the value of the Lakers 2027 and 2029 picks reminds me of the Steve Nash trade.  Lakers traded 2 firsts ('13 and '15) and 2 seconds to the Suns for Nash in '12.  The '15 first was top-5 protected in '15, top-3 protected in '16-'17, unprotected in '18.

Suns traded that Lakers pick away in Feb 2015 (when the Lakers were the 4th worst team in the league).  They would rather be Brandon Knight's 3rd team in 4 years than have a pick from the 4th worst team in the league. (Not saying that to criticize Knight, but how valuable was he if 2 rebuilding teams were willing to trade him away during his rookie deal).

The Bucks apparently valued Michael Carter Williams more than that Lakers pick.  (Reigning ROY of the year, but I think a lot of people already saw him for what he was).

Sixers took the pick because Hinkie was in the middle of leading the process and getting as many picks as possible.

Now I personally believe teams didn't think the Lakers pick was that valuable and the thinking was: "So the Lakers will pick top-5 this year (2015) then go out and sign some top free agents (LaMarcus Aldridge, Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler, Marc Gasol, Goran Dragic, etc.) and the pick won't be that valuable in 2016. Better get some value for it while we can/don't want to be stuck holding that pick.  Lakers have never missed the playoffs 3 years in a row."

Can you imagine Danny (or most GMs) trading the '19 Sacramento pick the C's acquired in '17, or the '20 Memphis pick the C's acquired in '15, or any of the Nets picks like that?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2022, 11:49:44 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Discussing the value of the Lakers 2027 and 2029 picks reminds me of the Steve Nash trade.  Lakers traded 2 firsts ('13 and '15) and 2 seconds to the Suns for Nash in '12.  The '15 first was top-5 protected in '15, top-3 protected in '16-'17, unprotected in '18.

Suns traded that Lakers pick away in Feb 2015 (when the Lakers were the 4th worst team in the league).  They would rather be Brandon Knight's 3rd team in 4 years than have a pick from the 4th worst team in the league. (Not saying that to criticize Knight, but how valuable was he if 2 rebuilding teams were willing to trade him away during his rookie deal).

The Bucks apparently valued Michael Carter Williams more than that Lakers pick.  (Reigning ROY of the year, but I think a lot of people already saw him for what he was).

Sixers took the pick because Hinkie was in the middle of leading the process and getting as many picks as possible.

Now I personally believe teams didn't think the Lakers pick was that valuable and the thinking was: "So the Lakers will pick top-5 this year (2015) then go out and sign some top free agents (LaMarcus Aldridge, Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler, Marc Gasol, Goran Dragic, etc.) and the pick won't be that valuable in 2016. Better get some value for it while we can/don't want to be stuck holding that pick.  Lakers have never missed the playoffs 3 years in a row."

Can you imagine Danny (or most GMs) trading the '19 Sacramento pick the C's acquired in '17, or the '20 Memphis pick the C's acquired in '15, or any of the Nets picks like that?
The Lakers in 15 also only had Kobe for less than half the season. He was obviously old by then, but I think the thought was the Lakers were intentionally losing games in 15.  They had Randle.  They were going to have a top 5 pick.  They had Kobe coming back.  So there was plenty of reason to believe that the Lakers were going to be a lot better team in 16 even without adding a major free agent.