Author Topic: Lebron extends with LAL  (Read 6314 times)

Lebron extends with LAL
« on: August 17, 2022, 03:06:52 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Woj:  2 years, $97.1 million  Second year is a player option.  15% trade kicker.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Lebron extends with LAL
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 03:16:26 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
More money then I thought, but that is exactly what I was predicting he would do.  This will now open the door to trading both 27 and 29 to improve the team.  The Lakers were hesitant to do so until Lebron committed.  Now I expect to see a Kyrie for Russ swap come to pass with at least 1 if not both of the picks going to the Nets and probably Harris and/or Curry also going to the Lakers.

Edit: Looks like if the cap increases enough for 23-24 it could end up worth as much as 111 million over the two years.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 03:17:44 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
Look at LeBron, writing his contract so that he can get his son drafted in 2024.

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 03:20:31 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
More money then I thought, but that is exactly what I was predicting he would do.  This will now open the door to trading both 27 and 29 to improve the team.  The Lakers were hesitant to do so until Lebron committed.  Now I expect to see a Kyrie for Russ swap come to pass with at least 1 if not both of the picks going to the Nets and probably Harris and/or Curry also going to the Lakers.

Edit: Looks like if the cap increases enough in 23-24 it could end up worth as much as 111 million over the two years.
as much of a headache as Kyrie has been for the Nets really hate that deal for them -- especially if there's anything other than Irving going to the Lakers.  Would really want to see LA stay a dumpster fire and Durant become even more irritated with Irving missing a lot of games and Simmons lack of commitment to playing or improving his game.

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 03:40:45 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Wow, almost $140M tied up in 3 players.

If they can trade Westbrook for Kyrie and something (salaries would need to match) sure, that is a good trade for the Lakers but I don't think they are going to be able to trade Westbrook to the Nets or anyone.  They may as well give the new coach a chance to see if they can make this work.  These 3 were only on the court together for 21 games last season.  They did not play well in those games but I just don't see anyone taking Westbrook off their hands even if they include some of their remaining tradeable picks.

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2022, 03:46:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

If they can trade Westbrook for Kyrie and something (salaries would need to match) sure, that is a good trade for the Lakers but I don't think they are going to be able to trade Westbrook to the Nets or anyone.  They may as well give the new coach a chance to see if they can make this work.  These 3 were only on the court together for 21 games last season.  They did not play well in those games but I just don't see anyone taking Westbrook off their hands even if they include some of their remaining tradeable picks.
I just disagree.  Westbrook is only still a Laker because the Lakers haven't wanted to include the draft picks.  I expect now, they will either get Kyrie or the Hield/Turner trade with the Pacers that has been rumored.  I mean why wouldn't the Pacers do Turner and Hield for Westbrook, 27 and 29 (if they Pacers wanted to dump Theis or McConnel they could do that as well).  That is a pretty darn good rebuilding trade given where those picks are.  And the Lakers may do that as Hield and Turner would be pretty solid 3rd and 4th options for them.  Lakers would be pretty solid with Nunn, Hield, James, Davis, Turner and guys like Walker, THT, Theis/McConnell, Bryant, Jones, Toscano-Anderson, Reaves on their bench.   That would also give the Lakers some middle contracts allowing them to be more active throughout the year in the trade market if they wanted to be.

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2022, 03:50:11 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Edit: Looks like if the cap increases enough in 23-24 it could end up worth as much as 111 million over the two years.
as much of a headache as Kyrie has been for the Nets really hate that deal for them -- especially if there's anything other than Irving going to the Lakers.  Would really want to see LA stay a dumpster fire and Durant become even more irritated with Irving missing a lot of games and Simmons lack of commitment to playing or improving his game.

Unless  there's another market for Harris, I think that Kyrie + Harris for Westbrook + two #1s is a good deal for both teams.  Those Lakers picks could be pretty good, and Kyrie is gone next season regardless.  Meanwhile, the Lakers would look very good on paper:

Bryant
Davis
Lebron
Harris
Irving

The rest of that roster is a giant dumpster dive, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2022, 03:50:56 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Idiot. He should've left LAL.

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2022, 03:57:05 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

I just disagree.  Westbrook is only still a Laker because the Lakers haven't wanted to include the draft picks.  I expect now, they will either get Kyrie or the Hield/Turner trade with the Pacers that has been rumored.  I mean why wouldn't the Pacers do Turner and Hield for Westbrook, 27 and 29 (if they Pacers wanted to dump Theis or McConnel they could do that as well).  That is a pretty darn good rebuilding trade given where those picks are.  And the Lakers may do that as Hield and Turner would be pretty solid 3rd and 4th options for them.  Lakers would be pretty solid with Nunn, Hield, James, Davis, Turner and guys like Walker, THT, Theis/McConnell, Bryant, Jones, Toscano-Anderson, Reaves on their bench.   That would also give the Lakers some middle contracts allowing them to be more active throughout the year in the trade market if they wanted to be.

I don't think that is a bad trade.  I would see that as more likely than a trade for Kyrie and Harris.  Kyrie and Harris would make the Lakers better for sure but I am not sure Turner and Hield would solve their problems.

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2022, 05:40:14 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Unless  there's another market for Harris, I think that Kyrie + Harris for Westbrook + two #1s is a good deal for both teams.  Those Lakers picks could be pretty good, and Kyrie is gone next season regardless.  Meanwhile, the Lakers would look very good on paper:

Bryant
Davis
Lebron
Harris
Irving

I wouldn't expect those first rounders to be out of the 20's and I for one would not want Westbrook on the team.  He does not win plain and simple.  he'd be on the court more than Kyrie but that's small consolation.  why add yet another shooting-challenged guard to a backcourt with Simmons?

just don't see the appeal of Westbrook no matter what Kyrie has done. 

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2022, 05:49:15 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Bryant
Davis
Lebron
Harris
Irving

I wouldn't expect those first rounders to be out of the 20's and I for one would not want Westbrook on the team.  He does not win plain and simple.  he'd be on the court more than Kyrie but that's small consolation.  why add yet another shooting-challenged guard to a backcourt with Simmons?

Maybe a 3 team trade? Westbrook is a bit of a hot potato...

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2022, 05:54:26 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Bryant
Davis
Lebron
Harris
Irving

The first rounders are in five and seven years.  I wouldn’t expect them to be in the 20s.  And Westbrook would be released.

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2022, 07:58:13 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I still don’t really get the reason the Nets would do this trade. For one, it seemed like most recently irving said he wanted to play fo the nets (obviously could change day to day). But at a larger level the Nets have been adamant they want an all star level player if they trade Durant because they owe a bunch of first rounders for harden. So why would they offload irving and a servicable role player for a guy they are going to cut? For draft picks that their gm may not even be around for in 5 or 7 years? This just seems like Lebron fan fiction. The trade with the pacers on the other hands actually makes sense for both teams cause they Pacers really are in a rebuild and may be going for a top 3 pick next year.

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2022, 09:17:07 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Bryant
Davis
Lebron
Harris
Irving

The first rounders are in five and seven years.  I wouldn’t expect them to be in the 20s.  And Westbrook would be released.
they're the Lakers.  they have no problem attracting FAs.  they may have a season or two where they have a bad record but not several and even less likely during years when they won't be able to take advantage of a bad season with making use of their own pick

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2022, 09:43:44 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Bryant
Davis
Lebron
Harris
Irving

they're the Lakers.  they have no problem attracting FAs.  they may have a season or two where they have a bad record but not several and even less likely during years when they won't be able to take advantage of a bad season with making use of their own pick
Yes, but they also had a string of 6 years without making the playoffs and missed the playoffs last year.