Author Topic: 2022-23 College Football Thread  (Read 40444 times)

Re: 2022-23 College Football Thread
« Reply #210 on: November 02, 2022, 02:33:20 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Tennessee is 1, followed by Ohio State, Georgia, Clemson, and Michigan.  Bama with the 1 loss is ahead of unbeaten TCU and Oregon is 8.

How is Clemson ahead of Michigan??

Also I would have put TCU ahead of Alabama. But some of this stuff should sort itself out anyways. Lot of good games left and a handful of these teams play each other soon (including Georgia-Tennessee this weekend)

I’d put TCU ahead of Clemson too.  My 4-7 would be Michigan, TCU, Bama, Clemson.

I don't know what to make of Clemson.  My girlfriend did her undergrad at Clemson (Masters at UGA so she is currently undefeated which is ridiculous) so I've been forced to watch most of their games.  They're pretty up & down.  Dominant at times then downright pedestrian & teetering at other times.  I feel like we have a good handle on the SEC & Big Ten teams but Clemson is an enigma to me right now.

I generally agree with this take, but your description of Clemson doesn't sound like the #4 team over the others I've listed.  Sure, they could win out, and would rightfully be able to claim a playoff spot.  But to say that they've already shown themselves to be one of the top 4 -- that's frankly wrong by the Committee. 

« Reply #211 on: November 02, 2022, 04:19:19 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!
Tennessee is 1, followed by Ohio State, Georgia, Clemson, and Michigan.  Bama with the 1 loss is ahead of unbeaten TCU and Oregon is 8.

Also I would have put TCU ahead of Alabama. But some of this stuff should sort itself out anyways. Lot of good games left and a handful of these teams play each other soon (including Georgia-Tennessee this weekend)

I’d put TCU ahead of Clemson too.  My 4-7 would be Michigan, TCU, Bama, Clemson.

Yeah truth be told I would have put Clemson #7 as well. Michigan 4, Alabama 5, TCU 6.

Clemson's also had a handful of very tight games and near-losses if we're going to say that about other teams too. Won in double-OT against Wake Forest, only won by 6 against Florida State (unranked) and Syracuse who they were trailing for a good chunk of the game too.

I don't think Alabama deserves a spot in the Top-4 yet but to be fair, they did lose to the current #1 team by just 3 points on the road. They have another road test against LSU and also we'll see what happens in Georgia-Tennessee this weekend. I predict Tennessee wins.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #212 on: November 02, 2022, 09:07:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

Yeah truth be told I would have put Clemson #7 as well. Michigan 4, Alabama 5, TCU 6.

Clemson's also had a handful of very tight games and near-losses if we're going to say that about other teams too. Won in double-OT against Wake Forest, only won by 6 against Florida State (unranked) and Syracuse who they were trailing for a good chunk of the game too.

I don't think Alabama deserves a spot in the Top-4 yet but to be fair, they did lose to the current #1 team by just 3 points on the road. They have another road test against LSU and also we'll see what happens in Georgia-Tennessee this weekend. I predict Tennessee wins.
It isn't like TCU is just blowing teams out and they've played an arguably worse schedule than Clemson.  I mean they were down 14 entering the 4th to Okie St. before winning in OT.  That was the same Okie St. that just lost 48-0.  Up on WV by just 3 with under 4 minutes left in the game.   Beat SMU by just 8.  Tied with Kansas with under 2 minutes left. 

The interesting thing is Strength of Record right now has TCU 3 and Clemson 4, both are ahead of Georgia who is 5th, Bama at 6, and Michigan at 7 (Tenn is 1, OSU 2).  Oregon, Ole Miss, and USC round out the top 10. 

https://twitter.com/EditorEdge/status/1587571033300733953

He has the Game Control metric and ESPN's FPI also posted in that chain. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #213 on: November 05, 2022, 09:12:45 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Huge slate of games today. Super excited for Tennessee-Georgia especially (#1 vs. #2)

I got Tennessee winning 38-28. And also, I got an upset pick. I got LSU beating Alabama tonight

« Reply #214 on: November 05, 2022, 10:37:32 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Huge slate of games today. Super excited for Tennessee-Georgia especially (#1 vs. #2)

I got Tennessee winning 38-28. And also, I got an upset pick. I got LSU beating Alabama tonight

I’m with you on LSU, but Georgia wins by at least two scores.

« Reply #215 on: November 05, 2022, 11:02:11 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
4 games with both teams ranked

Tennessee at Georgia
Alabama at LSU
Texas at Kansas St.
Wake Forest at NC St.

One of the more interesting games where only one team is ranked is of course Clemson at Notre Dame

Not much is interesting, but the two top 10 games in the SEC certainly does provide a lot of intrigue this weekend.

« Reply #216 on: November 05, 2022, 11:32:26 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
4 games with both teams ranked

Tennessee at Georgia
Alabama at LSU
Texas at Kansas St.
Wake Forest at NC St.

One of the more interesting games where only one team is ranked is of course Clemson at Notre Dame

Not much is interesting, but the two top 10 games in the SEC certainly does provide a lot of intrigue this weekend.

I expect Clemson to win but I do think it'll be sneaky close. This feels like "trap game" written all over it even though I still predict Clemson wins, but only by 1 score (probably 28-20)

« Reply #217 on: November 05, 2022, 01:15:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
A terrible Northwestern team is beating Ohio State 7-0 deep into the 2nd quarter. Weather a factor as the wind is BLOWING and they have some strong storms coming into Chicago.

Upset of the year in the making?

« Reply #218 on: November 05, 2022, 01:53:00 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
A terrible Northwestern team is beating Ohio State 7-0 deep into the 2nd quarter. Weather a factor as the wind is BLOWING and they have some strong storms coming into Chicago.

Upset of the year in the making?
Tied at 7 at the half.  I expect OSU will win by at least 3 scores. 

« Reply #219 on: November 05, 2022, 02:26:31 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Northwestern getting stopped on 4th down to start the 2nd half, may have been the momentum the Buckeyes needed.  Went down and scored a TD, and then stopped Northwestern on the next possession (though they did move the ball ok).  If OSU scores here, the game is over.

« Reply #220 on: November 05, 2022, 02:27:57 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
#7 TCU down 17-13 at home to Texas Tech late in the 3rd too

For some reason TCU went for it on 4th and 4 at the 12-yard line instead of an easy FG and got sacked

« Reply #221 on: November 05, 2022, 02:28:14 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Now Texas Tech is a team that could pull an upset.  They are up 17-13 with the ball on TCU.  Unlike Northwestern, TTech is at least a decent opponent.  So they could actually pull the upset.

« Reply #222 on: November 05, 2022, 02:47:20 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
TCU now up 20-17 but boy they got bailed out so hard by the refs...

« Reply #223 on: November 05, 2022, 02:51:52 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
If Georgia-Tennessee weren't playing each other today then I'd have fully expected Ohio State to drop to #3 after this close win over Northwestern. Northwestern's 1-7 and Ohio State has looked very shaky all  game.

« Reply #224 on: November 05, 2022, 02:58:14 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
If Georgia-Tennessee weren't playing each other today then I'd have fully expected Ohio State to drop to #3 after this close win over Northwestern. Northwestern's 1-7 and Ohio State has looked very shaky all  game.

I'll also add if Hooker has a great game today and especially if they win against Georgia, I think he becomes the Heisman favorite. Stroud has been awful today