Author Topic: Celtics (0-0) at Heat (0-0) Summer League Game #1 7/9/22  (Read 16204 times)

Re: Celtics (0-0) at Heat (0-0) Summer League Game #1 7/9/22
« Reply #150 on: July 09, 2022, 07:36:00 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
JD has 5 points 5 asts 5 rbs 2 stls 3 blks...

I thought he was one of the few bright spots. His passing was better than I expected, shooting was worse.

Finished with 2-5 from 3 10 pts 6 rbs 6 asts 2 stls 3 blks and 1 TO...

« Reply #151 on: July 09, 2022, 07:36:04 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
What I saw:

Begarin - Is an NBA player, or will be soon enough. Good defense. Multiple efforts. Switchable. He made multiple cross-court passes with his left and right hand to give other players a chance to attack closeouts (that's second level passing stuff). Ball handling and shooting looks like it has improved from last year. I'd love a little more aggressiveness as a scorer, but he very naturally fits within a ball movement concept.

Davison - I like him. He has created a ton of advantages for the Cs tonight on offense. He got lost on a few defensive possessions in the pick-and-roll, but I do like the effort he is putting forth. He made several crafty defensive plays and a number of excellent offensive passes. He did not look rattled in spite of the Heat guards great ball pressure. I'd like to see him get to his spots on offense a little better. He seemed tentative at trying to get his shot. He needs reps at the shots where he is comfortable.

Kabengele - Good rim runner and solid defender. He missed a few defensive rotations, but also made a number of good rim contests. I liked seeing the three go in too. Problem is that he looks completely lost in the DHO game. He doesn't have much of any feel for that and that is a really important part of our offense.

Williams - I was hoping for more from him. He not only looked smaller than I was hoping, but he also looked just as much as a non-athlete. I love the dimes he was dropping, but he's not a great rebounder and he's a poor defender. On top of that, he had a number of turnovers where he was trying to do too much. I did like the effort though. He needs to drop 20 more pounds and keep working on his shot with the hope he can become something like a Georges Niang. I just do not think he can be a center.

Hauser - Nothing new here. I like the size. Shot wasn't going in. I liked the off-ball cutting and he had a few traffic defensive rebounds. Overall he seemed a little more sound defensively. Still, the shot wasn't going in.

Ryan - He not only was making threes, but he was able to get a bunch off against good defenders. He also made a couple of decent defensive plays in the post, fighting around screens, and on ball. I do think he's an NBA player. If the Cs don't gobble him up, a team like the Heat will.

Thomas - I think that Brad likes him. He seems smart, but he also seems between two positions. He can't handle the ball against pressure, but he's probably not a great wing as a defender or shooter either. I just don't think he's an NBA player. Hope he comes out more aggressive next game after this disastrous performance.

« Reply #152 on: July 09, 2022, 08:06:58 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Still haven't broken out of our losing funks as usual, even in SL  :'(

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #153 on: July 09, 2022, 08:07:35 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
What I saw:

Begarin - Is an NBA player, or will be soon enough. Good defense. Multiple efforts. Switchable. He made multiple cross-court passes with his left and right hand to give other players a chance to attack closeouts (that's second level passing stuff). Ball handling and shooting looks like it has improved from last year. I'd love a little more aggressiveness as a scorer, but he very naturally fits within a ball movement concept.

I’d say he has NBA athleticism but he’s still super raw and his shot looked bad to me. I’d leave him in Europe. No sense in starting the clock on his rookie deal yet.

« Reply #154 on: July 09, 2022, 08:12:43 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
JD has 5 points 5 asts 5 rbs 2 stls 3 blks...

I thought he was one of the few bright spots. His passing was better than I expected, shooting was worse.

Finished with 2-5 from 3 10 pts 6 rbs 6 asts 2 stls 3 blks and 1 TO...
Best case might be a Mookie Blaylock type stat-stuffer.

That is, like, absolute best case though.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #155 on: July 09, 2022, 08:13:32 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
What I saw:

I’d say he has NBA athleticism but he’s still super raw and his shot looked bad to me. I’d leave him in Europe. No sense in starting the clock on his rookie deal yet.

I think he’ll get a lot better coaching here than in Europe.  Better to bring him over so he can reach his potential.  The clock starting early isn’t a big thing — he’s raw enough that the C’s won’t have to fight anyone off in restricted free agency in two years.

« Reply #156 on: July 09, 2022, 08:21:43 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
What I saw:

I think he’ll get a lot better coaching here than in Europe.  Better to bring him over so he can reach his potential.  The clock starting early isn’t a big thing — he’s raw enough that the C’s won’t have to fight anyone off in restricted free agency in two years.

I thought his shot looked better overall. His form looked more consistent. It just didn't go in. He also wasn't getting good looks because of the Heat ball pressure.

« Reply #157 on: July 09, 2022, 08:27:43 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I like some of the guys in our summer league team, but my interest is in the long term future of the Maine Celtics.

IMO since the start of the D-League G-League, the Celtics have been one of the worst at developing raw talent in the NBA.

I know that Ainge seemed to rather the rookies train with the main roster, but regardless of that, there never seemed to be a pathway by Wyc or Ainge to develop and integrate raw (second round picks or undrafted) players.

Hopefully under Stevens, this will change.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #158 on: July 09, 2022, 08:35:24 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Begharin and Davidson might - might - make an nba roster someday but are they ever raw. Davidson’s handle is so loose! Weird to see a PG keep his dribble so far from his body, and not quite under control; he’s the opposite of a Brogdon or a Chris Paul, who are close to the body and balanced. He drives into traffic without any apparent plan - repeatedly. The coaching staff has its work cut out.

Hauser shows reasonable ability to stay in front of his man, and given his track record we can write this off as a bad shooting day, but it’s obviously not what you’d hope for.

« Reply #159 on: July 09, 2022, 08:53:07 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I like some of the guys in our summer league team, but my interest is in the long term future of the Maine Celtics.

IMO since the start of the D-League G-League, the Celtics have been one of the worst at developing raw talent in the NBA.

I know that Ainge seemed to rather the rookies train with the main roster, but regardless of that, there never seemed to be a pathway by Wyc or Ainge to develop and integrate raw (second round picks or undrafted) players.

Hopefully under Stevens, this will change.

What franchises do have a consistent history of developing raw 2nds rounders or undrafted players?

Some of our second rounders made it (BBD, Powe, Gomes), most haven't.  That doesn't seem unusual to me, though, particularly for a team usually picking in the bottom half of the round.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #160 on: July 09, 2022, 08:56:26 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Begharin and Davidson might - might - make an nba roster someday but are they ever raw. Davidson’s handle is so loose! Weird to see a PG keep his dribble so far from his body, and not quite under control; he’s the opposite of a Brogdon or a Chris Paul, who are close to the body and balanced. He drives into traffic without any apparent plan - repeatedly. The coaching staff has its work cut out.

Hauser shows reasonable ability to stay in front of his man, and given his track record we can write this off as a bad shooting day, but it’s obviously not what you’d hope for.

Davidson had 6ast to only 1TO. That seems under control to me. It’s fine for Hauser to have an off night shooting, but in 34 mins of play he should really have a better stat line than 7pts, 3rebs and 2ast considering it’s a summer league game.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #161 on: July 09, 2022, 09:02:04 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
I liked what I saw of Davison. He's raw, yes, but I thought he played a solid game. Made good decisions, love the athleticism and he played with confidence.

For the other guys, it appears that Begharin is getting a long look. I can see why the like him. Ryan looked good. Hauser couldn't make anything and Williams looks like he just doesn't have it athletically.  Thomas looked overmatched.

« Reply #162 on: July 09, 2022, 09:06:05 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Davinson turned the ball over once...

« Reply #163 on: July 09, 2022, 09:07:44 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Davidson had 6ast to only 1TO. That seems under control to me. It’s fine for Hauser to have an off night shooting, but in 34 mins of play he should really have a better stat line than 7pts, 3rebs and 2ast considering it’s a summer league game.

JD should've had 10 assists but for teammate's misses and more points but for his own misses and some of those were bunnies.

« Reply #164 on: July 09, 2022, 09:09:50 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Watch the game and see if that stat line tells the story. His handle is really far from his body. He went 1-6 inside the arc because he couldn’t create good looks; couldn’t create separation, and a few times he launched out of control shots anyway - taking off on one leg pretty far from the hoop. He also drove into traffic multiple times and just stopped - those weren’t turnovers because the defense was a mess and there was someone he could ultimately toss it to. You watch a Brogdon or even a Smart, and you see a guy who is able to change direction, has the ball on a string, can get a guy on his hip and keep him there. Davidson is a lot of loping strides and dribbles with the ball way out in front of him.