Author Topic: How good would this team be?  (Read 3113 times)

Re: How good would this team be?
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2022, 02:41:07 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
So, let's say we get our two targets as reported by the media:

Sign:  Gallinari

Sign: Thomas Bryant

Timelord / Theis / Bryant
Horford / Gallinari / Hauser
Tatum /  G. Williams / Nesmith
Brown / White
Smart / Pritchard

Who should be our target with the TPE or via trade?
someone better than Smart.

Such as?
Of the people reasonably available, obviously Durant is the big one, but Collins I think would work.  I'd inquire about Simmons, not sure where the Nets are with him, and would do the same with Gobert and Mitchell with the Jazz. 

I'd like Sexton or Ayton, but Boston can't sign and trade anyone so they are out. 

I'm sure other players are potentially available, guys like MPJ from the Nuggets for example.  I don't think I'd want De'Angelo Russell, but I'd kick the tires on him depending on the asking price.  Jaren Jackson just got hurt again, maybe you could buy low on him.
apparently Brogdon was the correct answer.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2022, 02:46:13 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868

Brown / White
Smart / Pritchard

Such as?
Of the people reasonably available, obviously Durant is the big one, but Collins I think would work.  I'd inquire about Simmons, not sure where the Nets are with him, and would do the same with Gobert and Mitchell with the Jazz. 

I'd like Sexton or Ayton, but Boston can't sign and trade anyone so they are out. 

I'm sure other players are potentially available, guys like MPJ from the Nuggets for example.  I don't think I'd want De'Angelo Russell, but I'd kick the tires on him depending on the asking price.  Jaren Jackson just got hurt again, maybe you could buy low on him.

Brogdon isn't a wing and may not be better than Smart but a great pick up non-the-less.  We end up with more depth than we need (if there is such a thing) at Combo Guard with Smart, Brogdon, White, and Pritchard and still not enough depth at wing (Tatum, Brown, Hauser?) but this is still a really nice value trade in my opinion.

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2022, 02:51:07 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Brown / White
Smart / Pritchard

Such as?

Brogdon isn't a wing and may not be better than Smart but a great pick up non-the-less.  We end up with more depth than we need (if there is such a thing) at Combo Guard with Smart, Brogdon, White, and Pritchard and still not enough depth at wing (Tatum, Brown, Hauser?) but this is still a really nice value trade in my opinion.
He is better than Smart when he is healthy.  that is the real issue though.  Can he stay healthy or at least healthy enough?

I don't think Boston needed a wing, per se, now Brown can just back-up Tatum and I'm fine with that (obviously Brown will start at SG, but Brogdon can come in for either Tatum or Brown and the one staying on the floor is the wing while Brogdon is the SG).  Aside from talent, which Brogdon is, the team really needs and has always need another big.  They need a guy they can rely on when Rob is injured and Horford is old.  I don't think Gallinari or Bryant really fit that mold.  They need someone that can defend, rebound, etc. or going the other way that is an excellent scorer.  If they could somehow get Collins for Smart or White and draft picks, that would be fantastic. That is the move to make.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2022, 02:56:45 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Brogdon has spent half his career as a wing and half as a PG. He is 6-5 230lbs with long arms. He is plenty big enough in terms of size and muscle to defend the wing. We have seen him do it before - in Milwaukee.

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2022, 03:01:29 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Brown / White
Smart / Pritchard

Such as?

He is better than Smart when he is healthy.  that is the real issue though.  Can he stay healthy or at least healthy enough?

I don't think Boston needed a wing, per se, now Brown can just back-up Tatum and I'm fine with that (obviously Brown will start at SG, but Brogdon can come in for either Tatum or Brown and the one staying on the floor is the wing while Brogdon is the SG).  Aside from talent, which Brogdon is, the team really needs and has always need another big.  They need a guy they can rely on when Rob is injured and Horford is old.  I don't think Gallinari or Bryant really fit that mold.  They need someone that can defend, rebound, etc. or going the other way that is an excellent scorer.  If they could somehow get Collins for Smart or White and draft picks, that would be fantastic. That is the move to make.
Disagree on the need for another big.  Horford can play there 10-12 mpg and you've still got Bryant as a better 3rd stringer than Theis.  I think the bigger need is one more wing, but in any case we are talking about the 9th or 10th player on the depth chart.

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2022, 03:06:33 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868

I said may not be better than Smart.  Injury/durability is part of that equation.  I do see that Brogdon is more suited to playing as a wing with say Smart + Tatum + 2 Bigs, than Smart or White are.  That versatility will be useful for the team and for him to find minutes.  But I don't see him as a natural wing or that wing is his natural position.  Maybe he adapts and adjusts, I don't know, but I see him as more of a Dennis Johnson molded PG.  A lot like Smart in that regard.  Versatile, can play different styles, but most natural as a PG.