Author Topic: NBA Off Season 2022  (Read 103244 times)

Re: Re: NBA Season 2021-22
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2022, 06:40:10 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Just to clarify the nets can’t “lose” Durant he is under contract for 4 more seasons. They can choose to trade him if they want.

This is sort of true.  Durant, however, absolutely has the status to force a trade to a team of his choosing, and it’s highly unlikely the Nets would get anyone near his caliber in return.

Then they don’t have to trade him? He is not sitting out the rest of his career or retiring. Do they wait till they get something. Even the 76ers were able to get an all star for simmons holding out and simmons is a much worst player with serious physical and mental health concerns. If Durant says I will only play for Celtics you think that forces them to trade us him for theis and smart?

This is an oddly Moranis-like take for you.  We already saw Durant force his way to the Nets and apparently demand that a 1st be sent along with him for DeAngelo Russell.  All while having a torn Achilles.  If Durant wants to go to a team, he will a) get there, and b) make sure his new team keeps its top couple of players, unless he really dislikes one of them.  There are limits, of course, in what the Nets will reasonably accept in return, but if KD wants to play in Boston with Tatum and Brown (and I have no belief that he does) then KD will be playing in Boston with Tatum and Brown.  He, like LeBron, absolutely has the power to pick his team at any time he wants.  The perks of being a superstar.

I give you a tommy point for what you did here lol. I almost don’t want to respond cause it is so great. But I will respond to the first part. The Russell contract was actually of great value to the warriors as they wanted a placeholder for that slot to move when they became competitive (they knew they probably were not winning anything that season with klay injured). As you know they won the championship this year because of that salary slot. You are missing a really massive point on top of that here. Warriors had no leverage because he was a free agent. They literally could, and expected to, lose him for nothing. Durant has 4 more years on his contract. So it’s really about as different as situations could be. Lastly can you remind me the last time Lebron forced his way out of town with even a single year left on this contract? Let alone 4.

« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2022, 06:52:30 PM »

Offline DBCooper

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
Kyrie is opting in. What a joke

« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2022, 07:15:17 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Lame. I thought he's dipping the Nets. Would've been one less problem team in the East.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2022, 07:37:55 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Guess no one wanted to give up assets for him. Shocking…  :laugh:
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2022, 08:02:04 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
More like no one wanted to give him a big long-term contract.  Player ego meets reality. 

« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2022, 08:04:07 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
More like no one wanted to give him a big long-term contract.  Player ego meets reality.

Probably both. I’m kinda glad he’s staying for now. Will be nice when the C’s beat the Nets at full strength with all three of their divas on the court.

Side note- thread just made it to 400 pages. Wow.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2022, 08:21:13 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Probably both. I’m kinda glad he’s staying for now. Will be nice when the C’s beat the Nets at full strength with all three of their divas on the court.

Side note- thread just made it to 400 pages. Wow.
The Nets didn't scare me with KD, Kyrie and Harden.  They don't scare me with KD, Kyrie and Simmons although that is a better on court fit.  Now all three of them do have a lot to prove.   

Is 400 pages a lot for a full NBA season? 

« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2022, 08:21:33 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Nets called his bluff perfectly. No one wanted Kyrie despite all the rumors.

I will say though, I wonder how the other non-Durant players feel on the Nets. I can't imagine they are thrilled with Kyrie's actions/words and I wouldn't be surprised if people in the locker room hated him, even from last season with his vaccination status/drama

Also, laughable to me that Lakers fans actually thought Kyrie would take a 30M discount to come play with them and Lebron, the guy Kyrie chose to leave earlier
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2022, 08:45:25 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Lame. I thought he's dipping the Nets. Would've been one less problem team in the East.

Kyrie makes the Nets worse.  This is probably good news for us.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2022, 08:45:57 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Kyrie is such a hot mess.  The new Starbury, as I've been saying for years.

On paper, the Nets are a very good team.  Simmons, Durant, Harris, Curry, Kyrie, Brown, Mills, Claxton.  Add somebody with the MLE and they should be contending.  Instead, the entire season is likely to be another giant distraction.

The best thing the Nets can hope for is that Kyrie has a good couple of months.  Then, in December they can trade him for a mediocre offer

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2022, 09:05:28 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
As expected, Kyrie has a deeply penetrating message regarding his decision:

« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2022, 09:20:06 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

On paper, the Nets are a very good team.  Simmons, Durant, Harris, Curry, Kyrie, Brown, Mills, Claxton.  Add somebody with the MLE and they should be contending.  Instead, the entire season is likely to be another giant distraction.

The best thing the Nets can hope for is that Kyrie has a good couple of months.  Then, in December they can trade him for a mediocre offer

I would be absolutely shocked if they had all 3 of these guys on the team next year. Claxton is a restricted free agent, some expect Mills to opt out and Brown is going to get a really decent offer in the open market. There have also been some signs of the Nets management seemingly willing to skimp costs (Dinwiddie was one example where they apparently offered something to keep the salary slot). Maybe they do get a pretty good ring chaser, but you would think some other places with less uncertainty would be more appealing (Lakers, Clippers, Bucks, Celtics, 76ers)

« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2022, 09:27:36 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

I would be absolutely shocked if they had all 3 of these guys on the team next year. Claxton is a restricted free agent, some expect Mills to opt out and Brown is going to get a really decent offer in the open market. There have also been some signs of the Nets management seemingly willing to skimp costs (Dinwiddie was one example where they apparently offered something to keep the salary slot). Maybe they do get a pretty good ring chaser, but you would think some other places with less uncertainty would be more appealing (Lakers, Clippers, Bucks, Celtics, 76ers)

I need another two respectable years out of Mills in fantasy.  I thought he was like 38, but he's only 34 / the new 24.

« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2022, 02:54:20 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Westbrook has opted in for 47 million. They are to be trapped into running it back. Very few salaries will match Westbrook and the lakers repeatedly have refused to sweeten with picks.

« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2022, 03:07:00 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Per Shams Hardy to become HC of Jazz.