Author Topic: Trade Idea: Celtics - Magic  (Read 1190 times)

Trade Idea: Celtics - Magic
« on: June 24, 2022, 10:22:48 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Celtics: Wendell Carter Jr.

Magic: Grant Williams, Aaron Nesmith, Celtics 1st round pick (heavily protected)

—————————

Obviously everyone assumed that it was going to be either Holmgren or Smith selected first in the draft, after Orlando Magic’s curveball selection of Banchero, perhaps the Celtics can take advantage of the situation.

Bachero is a rather old fashioned, bulky power forward, who’s offence and defence is best utilized in the paint. This will cause major fit issues with Carter, and we may be looking at a Bulls scenario 2.0 for the unlucky centre.

For the Celtics, if Grant Williams continues his trajectory, he will most likely get a huge deal in restricted free agency. This is something the Celtics front office may have trepidation giving a back up role play such a contract.

For the Magic, Grant Williams would fit extremely well next to Banchero and Jonathan Issac. For the Celtics, there is no more perfect long term replacement for (36 year old) Al Horford than Wendell Carter.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 01:01:11 AM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Trade Idea: Celtics - Magic
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 08:51:11 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
To me the superstar of this team isn't Tatum, its their defense. It will be difficult to replace Horford, so we have to choose what part of what he does that matters the most, and that is his defensive versatility.

I know Carter brings a lot to the table, but it would come down to whether he could play Horford's role in our defensive scheme. If Stevens thought he could, he'd be ideal. Otherwise, I'd rather compromise on the offensive side to get someone who could.

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 10:32:30 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
To me the superstar of this team isn't Tatum, its their defense. It will be difficult to replace Horford, so we have to choose what part of what he does that matters the most, and that is his defensive versatility.

I know Carter brings a lot to the table, but it would come down to whether he could play Horford's role in our defensive scheme. If Stevens thought he could, he'd be ideal. Otherwise, I'd rather compromise on the offensive side to get someone who could.

Agree that it’s critical to replace Horford, and I’d prioritize the defense, too. It’s going to be hard to do, though, especially without cap space to nab a free agent and without a trove of picks or attractive young players to dangle as trade bait. Horford has some rare abilities. Big challenge for the front office.

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2022, 10:51:12 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
It seems to me like Carter is an ideal frontcourt partner with Banchero, Wagner, and players like Okeke. He's more 5 than 4, and still struggles defending the pick-and-roll, but he's a solid young player that can develop with their core.

The guy I'd love to get is Isaac. He's an ideal buy-low candidate right now with upside as a game-changer on defense. The risk is not great either, because his contract has increasing non-guarantees that make it moveable and or waiveable if he doesn't work out for us.

He's unselfish, doesn't need the ball alot, and skilled. He's also got a little dog in him. Check out his highlights of him going toe-to-toe with Giannis.

In a trade like that, the Cs would need to send Theis as well, who I think makes a lot of sense as a veteran big man behind Carter. That way, they can keep Wagner and Banchero from being beat up by opposing centers.

If you use the Jerami Grant trade as a baseline, then the Cs would need to send out a first rounder and swap some seconds. Grant is on an expiring, but he was also more proven and less injury-ridden. So I think this cancels out.

On top of that, they could send Nesmith and take Ross into their TPE. Ross makes more sense for a playoff team and Nesmith could get minutes on the wing to develop as a shooter.

Celtics: Isaac, Ross
Magic: Theis, future 1st, Nesmith, Stauskas

Celtics lineup
PG: Smart, White, Pritchard
SG: Brown, Ross
SF: Tatum
PF: Horford, Isaac
C: Williams

After that, I'd be looking for a bit more veteran size with the tax payer MLE/minimum contracts. PJ Tucker, Thaddeus Young, Kyle Anderson, Nic Batum, Mo Bamba, Javale McGee, Robin Lopez, Bismack Biyumbo, Luke Kornet, etc.

I'm also holding out hope that Hauser and Fitts can find a role off the bench on the wing.

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2022, 12:19:08 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I too say for Magic Isaac should be the guy out not Carter. They don't have a Carter replacement but Franz or Banchero can replace Isaac. 

Then for C's they wouldn't likely deal Grant straight up for Carter due to GW being a good 3&D switch defender that does fit in. GW had a solid year till the ECF and Finals. He faultered at the same time Tatum did ironically. We shouldn't hold that against GW and sell low.

I still think Magic could be a ideal trade partner but only if Magic need cap space to do multiple big signings. In this case C's take on Fultz with the TPE in order to get Isaac and Ross. My deal would be,

Magic get= White, PP, Theis and a protected 1st.
C's get= Fultz(via TPE), Ross and Isaac.

Magic clear 17 million.
Magic go after Irving/Brunson and Miles Bridges/LaVine. Irving fits the craziness of Florida so I'd love to see him there lol

Irving or Brunson/Anthony/PP
White/Suggs
Bridges or LaVine/Franz W
Banchero/Mo W
Carter/Theis

C's will have main guys of
PG-Smart/Fultz
SG-Brown/Nesmith
SF-Tatum/Ross
PF-Isaac/GW
C-TL/Al

(Possible "deep bench/2 ways"= Yam, JD, Staukas, Begarin, Ryan, Fitts, Hauser, Trevion)

Health is the big question for this deal.

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2022, 12:45:48 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
For the Jonathan Isaac fans, he is staunchly anti-vaccine, which has the potential to cause problems if Canada/Ontario maintains its rules next year and the Celtics meet the Raptors in the playoffs.

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2022, 01:49:43 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
For the Jonathan Isaac fans, he is staunchly anti-vaccine, which has the potential to cause problems if Canada/Ontario maintains its rules next year and the Celtics meet the Raptors in the playoffs.
He also put his own message of praise God while people were trying to show unity with BLM. He has a strong personal belief. I don't hold that as a negative just different.

He is probably one of those players you ask about joining a team before trading for him because he could do something crazy like retire instead of being traded.