Author Topic: Dejounte Murray rumors...  (Read 9236 times)

Re: Dejounte Murray rumors...
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2022, 10:20:05 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
They’re building around him. He’s a young all-star. They’re not giving him up for some picks.

Quite the contrary, according to most reports.  Apparently he doesn't fit in their rebuilding timeline.  They don't have much of anything else that justifies paying him a max in a few years.

He really does have the necessary skill set we need.  Right off the bat, he would compliment our system and the J's, and matches the age timeline for sustained success. 

I know its difficult to think of "breaking up the core", I struggle with that as well.  But for the right player, you'd have to really consider it.  Tbh, I would consider moving some combination of Smart, Nesmith, PP, Theis, Grant and picks for him. 

When it comes to Smart, we know what he is.  He plays tough D, has a knack for timely Tommy Points that matter in critical times, and is limited on offense and as a penetrator which, to me, severely hinders our offense allowing defenses to disrespect him and focus on the J's.  He's also nearly 3 years older than Dejounte.  While he is a team player, he does have a strong personality that can easily fall into "hero mode" at the worst times.  Also, how much longer will his body hold up playing the way that he does?

For SA, he would bring leadership and toughness to a young team that values defense.  He would be on a team friendly deal as well.  And from what I believe, Pop respects/appreciates what he brings to the table.

Well, I do see some rumors now that they’d accept a “Jrue Holiday-like package”. I have to say I’m surprised, and that I’m not sure I believe it. He’s a 25-year old all-star, a 2-way point guard with plus length. That’s really hard to get. Maybe they’ll be able to draft another player like that with one of the future firsts they could get, but that’s not likely, especially if they trade with a team that has realistic finals aspirations and a young core.

One other point: when the Pels trade Jrue he was on the other side of 30. The younger Murray has more value.

The above is true, but contracts matter too.  Holiday was making enough money that the Bucks knew they could extend him before free agency.  Murray has a bargain contract the next two years, but then he’s going to hit free agency.  The Spurs may be uncertain they can keep him, and the team trading for him has no assurances either.

If you know you’re getting Murray for 6-7 years, sure, those draft picks work.  If he bolts after two years, you’re going to regret that move.

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2022, 10:43:47 AM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
They’re building around him. He’s a young all-star. They’re not giving him up for some picks.

Quite the contrary, according to most reports.  Apparently he doesn't fit in their rebuilding timeline.  They don't have much of anything else that justifies paying him a max in a few years.

He really does have the necessary skill set we need.  Right off the bat, he would compliment our system and the J's, and matches the age timeline for sustained success. 

I know its difficult to think of "breaking up the core", I struggle with that as well.  But for the right player, you'd have to really consider it.  Tbh, I would consider moving some combination of Smart, Nesmith, PP, Theis, Grant and picks for him. 

When it comes to Smart, we know what he is.  He plays tough D, has a knack for timely Tommy Points that matter in critical times, and is limited on offense and as a penetrator which, to me, severely hinders our offense allowing defenses to disrespect him and focus on the J's.  He's also nearly 3 years older than Dejounte.  While he is a team player, he does have a strong personality that can easily fall into "hero mode" at the worst times.  Also, how much longer will his body hold up playing the way that he does?

For SA, he would bring leadership and toughness to a young team that values defense.  He would be on a team friendly deal as well.  And from what I believe, Pop respects/appreciates what he brings to the table.

Well, I do see some rumors now that they’d accept a “Jrue Holiday-like package”. I have to say I’m surprised, and that I’m not sure I believe it. He’s a 25-year old all-star, a 2-way point guard with plus length. That’s really hard to get. Maybe they’ll be able to draft another player like that with one of the future firsts they could get, but that’s not likely, especially if they trade with a team that has realistic finals aspirations and a young core.

One other point: when the Pels trade Jrue he was on the other side of 30. The younger Murray has more value.

The above is true, but contracts matter too.  Holiday was making enough money that the Bucks knew they could extend him before free agency.  Murray has a bargain contract the next two years, but then he’s going to hit free agency.  The Spurs may be uncertain they can keep him, and the team trading for him has no assurances either.

If you know you’re getting Murray for 6-7 years, sure, those draft picks work.  If he bolts after two years, you’re going to regret that move.

Even with the J's, there is enough playing time and opportunities to eat.  Being the "third" option amongst the three would not necessarily impact his individual opportunity because his skill set compliments the J's.  I believe it would allow him to shine in a way that focuses on his strengths resulting in all-star level play and enhancing the type of player he could be.  I imagine it would be an ideal situation for him to stay, flourish and an opportunity to build a dynasty.

Regarding the possibility of him "bolting in 2 years", I would argue that to be the case with any player we try to acquire.  Nothing is guaranteed with anyone coming and staying...or leaving for that matter.  Heck, JB could up and leave if we don't take advantage of this window or he's tired of playing "second fiddle" next to JT.  Point is, 2 years is enough time to get Dejounte acclimated and proven on a team that would benefit both the team and him.

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2022, 11:35:34 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
https://twitter.com/LegionHoops/status/1540709071598170112

It appears the price has been set at " 3 1st round picks". Issue for the Celtics is that not all first round picks are the same and the Cs offering 3 of their future first will be of lesser value then other teams. I can't see the Celtics competing with the offers other teams can make.

Knicks would be smart to go after Murray rather than Brunson

Hawks could reinvent the team behind a Young/Murray backcourt

T-Wolves could look to make a 3 team deal and move Russell out for Murray

Miami would be scary if they can make a deal around Hero to a 3rd team for Murray

Washington could try to retain Beal by landing Murray

For the Celtics the more interesting thing might be that the Spurs appear to be tanking for the 2023 draft. This class looks to be loaded up top. The Spurs plan might be to hoard young wings then add a star from the 23 draft to be the center of their rebuild.

This likely means they would be open to moving McDermott or J Richardson this offseason. Both fit in the TPE and would be upgrades to the Cs bench.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2022, 11:45:07 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Even with the J's, there is enough playing time and opportunities to eat.  Being the "third" option amongst the three would not necessarily impact his individual opportunity because his skill set compliments the J's.  I believe it would allow him to shine in a way that focuses on his strengths resulting in all-star level play and enhancing the type of player he could be.  I imagine it would be an ideal situation for him to stay, flourish and an opportunity to build a dynasty.

Regarding the possibility of him "bolting in 2 years", I would argue that to be the case with any player we try to acquire.  Nothing is guaranteed with anyone coming and staying...or leaving for that matter.  Heck, JB could up and leave if we don't take advantage of this window or he's tired of playing "second fiddle" next to JT.  Point is, 2 years is enough time to get Dejounte acclimated and proven on a team that would benefit both the team and him.

The contract point is interesting.

I don’t know what SA’s plans are. But if they’re really wanting to move on from Murray because they’re worried about his next deal, two years from now, that seems pretty risk averse. Trading him can avoid that problem, but you may be creating a bigger problem (end of first round picks, years from now, who don’t even become rotation players) and most likely you are agreeing to a few more years of rebuilding and hoping for lottery luck. Trading a proven, still young player with two years of team control remaining to get out of his deal really feels like waving a white flag: we know we won’t be good enough for him to want to stick around.

Now they might have other reasons - if they like another good young player who they think would balance their roster. But I don’t know the team well enough to hazard a guess.

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2022, 12:17:49 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
Something else to note with this situation.  According to Keith Smith in his latest article on Spotrac, SA has the second most available cap space at $32.6 mil, behind Detroit who has $44.8. 

A trade involving our TPE would essentially propel them close to $49 mil of space.  Are they interested in more cap space? 🤔

« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2022, 01:27:15 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Amazing that a guy this talented and this young and potentially available fits into the Fournier TPE.

Send the Spurs 3 firsts and then throw in one or both of Mader/Begarin. Throw in Nesmith if they want him.

Smart/Murray/Brown/Tatum/Timelord with White and Horford coming off the bench. That would have to be the most fearsome defense in the NBA next season. And I haven't mentioned Grant, Pritchard, or what the C's might do with their MLE.

I was really looking for a PF this summer but if Murray can actually be added without giving up a rotation player...
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2022, 01:29:05 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Something else to note with this situation.  According to Keith Smith in his latest article on Spotrac, SA has the second most available cap space at $32.6 mil, behind Detroit who has $44.8. 

A trade involving our TPE would essentially propel them close to $49 mil of space.  Are they interested in more cap space? 🤔

Great question. If they are interested in getting almost $50M in cap space, who can absorb Murray without sending anybody out, and will offer multiple first-rounders? We can. Technically Detroit, but are they willing to do that? Who else?

Is Jokic secretly a big Spurs fan like so many Euros who grew up watching Manu and Parker? He’s UFA in a year. Now that’s a guy to rebuild around…so is Ayton perhaps, who’s only 23? He might be the guy both SAS and Detroit are after (perhaps they know Phoenix doesn’t want to pay max)?

« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2022, 01:50:37 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Are you worried that if we got him we couldn't keep him? I really can't see how 24 year olds Tatum and Williams, and 25 year olds Brown and Murray wouldn't stay together. That is a monster core for almost a decade.

« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2022, 01:56:53 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

Are you worried that if we got him we couldn't keep him? I really can't see how 24 year olds Tatum and Williams, and 25 year olds Brown and Murray wouldn't stay together. That is a monster core for almost a decade.
Yeah, if the problem is you have to pay them, the solution is: pay them!
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2022, 02:30:13 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94

Yeah, if the problem is you have to pay them, the solution is: pay them!

Yeah, Danny should have understood that in 2019 when Horford said match Philly and I stay. Same goes for Rozier. Instead he throws the money at Kemba, whom MJ knew was on his last legs. Pretty bad being out-GM’d by MJ at the end of one’s tenure as Celtics GM 🤣 but I’m sure he’ll prove all the Danny worshippers right with the upcoming rebuild in Utah—especially after Snyder says F this right away 🤪

« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2022, 02:40:44 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

I was responding to someone wondering why San Antonio would be looking to trade Murray, and why the asking price would be comparable to Jrue.  The Spurs may have a good idea they can’t keep him, which is why they’re open to a trade now.  Further, other teams probably have a good idea if Murray has his sights set on a couple of destinations when he hits free agency, and may also want a discount as a result.

I don’t know if any of this is true, but the simple matter is that Murray has his most trade value this summer, and it will decline as he gets closer to free agency.

« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2022, 02:45:51 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

I was responding to someone wondering why San Antonio would be looking to trade Murray, and why the asking price would be comparable to Jrue.  The Spurs may have a good idea they can’t keep him, which is why they’re open to a trade now.  Further, other teams probably have a good idea if Murray has his sights set on a couple of destinations when he hits free agency, and may also want a discount as a result.

I don’t know if any of this is true, but the simple matter is that Murray has his most trade value this summer, and it will decline as he gets closer to free agency.

It looks to me like they are well aware that his inability to score efficiently or provide adequate spacing off the ball makes Dejounte Murray a difficult player to build around. That he isn't worth making a long term building block or franchise talent.

And that they don't believe he can fix his shot.

Because if you believe in he can fix his shot and even be a below average but near average shooter, why the heck would you move him? He is too bloody talented & young to trade unless you do not believe in his ability to improve that ugly shot.

« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2022, 02:50:45 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
White is terrible ask for a refund, White and a first for Murray.

« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2022, 03:13:55 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

It looks to me like they are well aware that his inability to score efficiently or provide adequate spacing off the ball makes Dejounte Murray a difficult player to build around. That he isn't worth making a long term building block or franchise talent.

And that they don't believe he can fix his shot.

Because if you believe in he can fix his shot and even be a below average but near average shooter, why the heck would you move him? He is too bloody talented & young to trade unless you do not believe in his ability to improve that ugly shot.

League averages are .461/.354

Murray is at .462/.327

Again, Keldon Johnson, who is 22, is their second best offensive player by a mile. He would be open more here, to say the least.

He can improve his 3 point shot, but aren't you overselling his shooting issues a bit? He's pretty great at everything else, and we want a complementary star, not a primary option. We already have two elite scorers.

It could just be that they know he will keep them mediocre and that he might not stay long term. They need to find a #1 option, which is very hard when you win 35 games.

Trading him for picks will drop them very quickly into the bottom, where they have a chance to get a franchise player and they still have the extra picks. I'm sure they don't like where things are going down there.

« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2022, 03:14:35 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
StatMuse@statmuse Jun 23:

Dejounte Murray had an underrated year in San Antonio:

— 21/8/9
— Most triple doubles ever by a Spur
— 2nd in RPG for a guard
— 1st in SPG
— All Star

He became the first player in NBA history to record a 21p/8r/9a/2s season or better.