Author Topic: Dejounte Murray rumors...  (Read 9211 times)

Re: Dejounte Murray rumors...
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2022, 12:20:19 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Latest rumor is they want 3 first round picks for Murray. I have to say, I'd do that if I were Stevens. That would put us over the top without giving up any key parts of our core.

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2022, 12:21:53 AM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
Latest rumor is they want 3 first round picks for Murray. I have to say, I'd do that if I were Stevens. That would put us over the top without giving up any key parts of our core.

Sign me up

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2022, 12:24:50 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379

Yeah, Murray is really good, Why is SA trying to unload him?
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2022, 12:24:55 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376

Sign me up
Pretty sure they wouldn’t take our end of the first round picks.

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2022, 12:29:35 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Sign me up

Unless we trade first rounders that are several years away, which are always unpredictable.

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2022, 02:47:03 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
As I’ve mentioned multiple times in the trade ideas thread, Murray fits the TPE. If we can swap that and three first-rounders for him, that’s literally a move that gives us the young floor general we want and a true Big 3. Extend Murray. Then get to work on somehow moving JB, Theis and our remaining picks/swaps this decade for The Klaw. JB and his representative Kayne get to show off in LAnand Klaw gets out of a frustrating situation. Literally unstoppable dynasty if we do those two moves this off-season—and Udoka is tight, tight, tight with Kawhi and Murray so that gives us the edge and it’s how we extend them:

Murray/D-White
Smart/Pritchard
Kawhi/MLE/Nesmith
Tatum/Batman
Timelord/Horford

Who the hell beats that? Nobody. It’s literally the greatest defense of all-time. Keep that core together and we are not talking a title, we are talking dynasty of the 2020s. Of course we give up all our draft picks/swaps to try to make it happen. You wanna talk about fireworks?

#LFG

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2022, 03:07:43 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
They’re building around him. He’s a young all-star. They’re not giving him up for some picks.

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2022, 03:27:31 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
As I’ve mentioned multiple times in the trade ideas thread, Murray fits the TPE. If we can swap that and three first-rounders for him, that’s literally a move that gives us the young floor general we want and a true Big 3. Extend Murray. Then get to work on somehow moving JB, Theis and our remaining picks/swaps this decade for The Klaw. JB and his representative Kayne get to show off in LAnand Klaw gets out of a frustrating situation. Literally unstoppable dynasty if we do those two moves this off-season—and Udoka is tight, tight, tight with Kawhi and Murray so that gives us the edge and it’s how we extend them:

Murray/D-White
Smart/Pritchard
Kawhi/MLE/Nesmith
Tatum/Batman
Timelord/Horford

Who the hell beats that? Nobody. It’s literally the greatest defense of all-time. Keep that core together and we are not talking a title, we are talking dynasty of the 2020s. Of course we give up all our draft picks/swaps to try to make it happen. You wanna talk about fireworks?

#LFG

Leonard has one healthy season in the last 4 seasons right? Why in the world would we want him.

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2022, 03:45:45 AM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743

Sign me up

almost all teams that would give up all these future picks would be considered “end of first round” at the time they give them up, only a team that would project that type of record goes hard at a player. 

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2022, 05:22:19 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
It's hard to believe the take that Murray is just a little better than Smart.

He's far quicker and more explosive offensively. Smart slows this team down. He's 2 1/2 years younger, which matters with Tatum and Smart, and means he has more room to improve.

Smart has lived in the backdraft of better offensive options his whole career. He gets a lot of easy looks, because teams cheat off him. Murray is doing what he's doing with almost no help. Until the recent emergence of Keldon Johnson, who is only 22, Derrick White was possibly his best teammate the last two years!!!

Marcus Smart was 29th in assists this year. Murray was 4th, ahead of Luka Doncic. 

We also could use an elite rebounder, because our defensive scheme is more vulnerable to offensive rebounds than most.

I think he would make us next level because he fits so well with the J's. He's probably the best transition guard in the league. That's how this group should play.
What’s hard to believe is that Ainge took Yabusele and Zizic over DeJounte in the 2016 draft. I always hated his strategy of drafting Euros so he could stash them and save money. I remember wanting Murray at the time and congratulating my Spurs fan brother on a great pick.

Look at all of the talent Ainge passed on to save money. Murray, Thybulle, Bane. Think we might’ve won a title with those guys? 🤦

The saddest thing about the Bane trade away was it was strickly a money move to save Wyc and company some cash.

That type of thinking by ownership had better change if we are going to hang more banners.
If the Celtics are over the cap and paying moderate luxury tax, does ownership still make money in a normal season ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2022, 06:53:41 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
It's hard to believe the take that Murray is just a little better than Smart.

He's far quicker and more explosive offensively. Smart slows this team down. He's 2 1/2 years younger, which matters with Tatum and Smart, and means he has more room to improve.

Smart has lived in the backdraft of better offensive options his whole career. He gets a lot of easy looks, because teams cheat off him. Murray is doing what he's doing with almost no help. Until the recent emergence of Keldon Johnson, who is only 22, Derrick White was possibly his best teammate the last two years!!!

Marcus Smart was 29th in assists this year. Murray was 4th, ahead of Luka Doncic. 

We also could use an elite rebounder, because our defensive scheme is more vulnerable to offensive rebounds than most.

I think he would make us next level because he fits so well with the J's. He's probably the best transition guard in the league. That's how this group should play.
What’s hard to believe is that Ainge took Yabusele and Zizic over DeJounte in the 2016 draft. I always hated his strategy of drafting Euros so he could stash them and save money. I remember wanting Murray at the time and congratulating my Spurs fan brother on a great pick.

Look at all of the talent Ainge passed on to save money. Murray, Thybulle, Bane. Think we might’ve won a title with those guys? 🤦

The saddest thing about the Bane trade away was it was strickly a money move to save Wyc and company some cash.

That type of thinking by ownership had better change if we are going to hang more banners.
If the Celtics are over the cap and paying moderate luxury tax, does ownership still make money in a normal season ?

Can’t argue that it’s costly when a cost-saving move results in missing out on a good player. Though when you make a mistake and overspend it’s pretty costly as well.  I guess the answer is - always be right.

The Celtics played in the Finsls without Bane. Who knows, maybe Bane would have been the difference. It’s also possible that selecting Markell Fultz, Lonzo Ball, Kris  Dunn or the many options other than Rob Williams or Grant Williams could have left them out of the Finals or playoffs completely.

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2022, 07:03:17 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
It really hurts that Nesmith hasn't worked out... Best shooter in his class with comparisons to Middleton. Sounds like exactly what we need

Nesmith’s per 100 stats aren’t THAT far off from Middleton’s first two seasons. Nesmith definitely has talent, but he lost confidence right off the bat when he couldn’t do the one thing he was expected to do, hit threes. From there he went into a tailspin and never got a chance other than spot minutes because of injury/foul trouble/blowouts.

I wouldn’t give up on him just yet. Maybe he won’t be an all-star someday, but he can definitely be a rotation player.
Disagree.

Middleton was scoring 4-5 points per 100 possessions more than Nesmith and his three point shooting numbers aren't close. Also Middleton was good enough to play 2900 minutes his first two years, Nesmith just 1200. Middleton also played the vast majority of his minutes during competitive times of games, starting 64 games his first two years. Nesmith played mostly garbage time minutes, starting just 4 games.

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2022, 07:07:51 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Murray/D-White
Smart/Pritchard
Kawhi/MLE/Nesmith
Tatum/Batman
Timelord/Horford

#LFG

Leonard has one healthy season in the last 4 seasons right? Why in the world would we want him.
Yup. If we could trade JB for 2017 Kawhi, you make the trade. Unfortunately, 2023 Kawhi is a much different animal after years of major injuries, lack of availability, uncertainty of future ability and a very public declaration that he wanted to be in LA.

#JKJB

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2022, 08:47:07 AM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
They’re building around him. He’s a young all-star. They’re not giving him up for some picks.

Quite the contrary, according to most reports.  Apparently he doesn't fit in their rebuilding timeline.  They don't have much of anything else that justifies paying him a max in a few years.

He really does have the necessary skill set we need.  Right off the bat, he would compliment our system and the J's, and matches the age timeline for sustained success. 

I know its difficult to think of "breaking up the core", I struggle with that as well.  But for the right player, you'd have to really consider it.  Tbh, I would consider moving some combination of Smart, Nesmith, PP, Theis, Grant and picks for him. 

When it comes to Smart, we know what he is.  He plays tough D, has a knack for timely Tommy Points that matter in critical times, and is limited on offense and as a penetrator which, to me, severely hinders our offense allowing defenses to disrespect him and focus on the J's.  He's also nearly 3 years older than Dejounte.  While he is a team player, he does have a strong personality that can easily fall into "hero mode" at the worst times.  Also, how much longer will his body hold up playing the way that he does?

For SA, he would bring leadership and toughness to a young team that values defense.  He would be on a team friendly deal as well.  And from what I believe, Pop respects/appreciates what he brings to the table.

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2022, 10:12:22 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Quite the contrary, according to most reports.  Apparently he doesn't fit in their rebuilding timeline.  They don't have much of anything else that justifies paying him a max in a few years.

He really does have the necessary skill set we need.  Right off the bat, he would compliment our system and the J's, and matches the age timeline for sustained success. 

I know its difficult to think of "breaking up the core", I struggle with that as well.  But for the right player, you'd have to really consider it.  Tbh, I would consider moving some combination of Smart, Nesmith, PP, Theis, Grant and picks for him. 

When it comes to Smart, we know what he is.  He plays tough D, has a knack for timely Tommy Points that matter in critical times, and is limited on offense and as a penetrator which, to me, severely hinders our offense allowing defenses to disrespect him and focus on the J's.  He's also nearly 3 years older than Dejounte.  While he is a team player, he does have a strong personality that can easily fall into "hero mode" at the worst times.  Also, how much longer will his body hold up playing the way that he does?

For SA, he would bring leadership and toughness to a young team that values defense.  He would be on a team friendly deal as well.  And from what I believe, Pop respects/appreciates what he brings to the table.

Well, I do see some rumors now that they’d accept a “Jrue Holiday-like package”. I have to say I’m surprised, and that I’m not sure I believe it. He’s a 25-year old all-star, a 2-way point guard with plus length. That’s really hard to get. Maybe they’ll be able to draft another player like that with one of the future firsts they could get, but that’s not likely, especially if they trade with a team that has realistic finals aspirations and a young core.

One other point: when the Pels trade Jrue he was on the other side of 30. The younger Murray has more value.