Author Topic: Dejounte Murray rumors...  (Read 9240 times)

Dejounte Murray rumors...
« on: June 24, 2022, 11:04:50 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

Re: Dejounte Murray rumors...
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 11:30:03 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
i'd have to think he has a hefty price tag, do we have the assets to acquire him? If so I think we would have got him instead of White at the deadline last year.

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2022, 11:31:54 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
i'd have to think he has a hefty price tag, do we have the assets to acquire him? If so I think we would have got him instead of White at the deadline last year.

He maybe wasn't available last year.

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2022, 11:37:29 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Not the best shooter but a superb all around player.

Excellent defender and rebounder at his position. Pushes the ball. Improving scoring ability.

Spurs ask is going to be astronomical, one would think.

Would really love to see him in green, but I think Brown would be the price. Would then have to flip Smart and/or White for a true scoring threat alongside Tatum.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2022, 11:39:48 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
I was surprised by reports saying SAS was looking for a "Jrue Holiday type package". That is far lower than I had expected for such a young dynamic athletic player who just put up 20-8-8 and got named to his first All-Star team. I figured they'd only move him for a superstar.

I'm not his biggest fan by a long shot given his low individual scoring efficiency and the feeling that his stats are being padded by playing on a lousy team where nobody else can command the ball .... but ...

If that is all SAS is looking for, do the darn deal. That is a very good price for a talented young player. Hopefully he can improve his outside shot but even if he cannot his speed, transition offense and dribble penetration offer valuable offensive contributions that this team lacks. All while maintaining the D.

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2022, 11:52:18 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Collins is significantly better than what New Orleans got for Jrue, so I think them calling it a Jrue Holiday type deal just doesn't make sense to me especially since I think it would take more than Collins. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2022, 11:53:11 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
He averaged 20 points but took over 18 shots to get those points.  Smart 12 points on 10 shots.  And shoots worse than Smart from 3.  Murray got 9 assists to Smart's 6 but clearly he has the ball in his hands a lot more.

I have not watched him play enough to be fully clear on what his potential is but I don't get the sense that he is all that much better than Smart.

It doesn't seem like the guy we need to expend assets to get.

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2022, 11:56:26 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I was surprised by reports saying SAS was looking for a "Jrue Holiday type package". That is far lower than I had expected for such a young dynamic athletic player who just put up 20-8-8 and got named to his first All-Star team. I figured they'd only move him for a superstar.

I'm not his biggest fan by a long shot given his low individual scoring efficiency and the feeling that his stats are being padded by playing on a lousy team where nobody else can command the ball .... but ...

If that is all SAS is looking for, do the darn deal. That is a very good price for a talented young player. Hopefully he can improve his outside shot but even if he cannot his speed, transition offense and dribble penetration offer valuable offensive contributions that this team lacks. All while maintaining the D.

Smart, Grant Williams, Pritchard or Nesmith, and 2 1sts? We can throw in a swap or two too. That's better than what Holliday fetched.

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2022, 11:58:13 AM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
Oh man what a grab that would be!  He would be perfect for us.  Does everything we need and would compliment the team and the J’s moreso.  I’d swap him for Smart yesterday.  Heck, throw in Grant, PP a couple future firsts.  Sign me up!

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2022, 12:04:54 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
He averaged 20 points but took over 18 shots to get those points.  Smart 12 points on 10 shots.  And shoots worse than Smart from 3.  Murray got 9 assists to Smart's 6 but clearly he has the ball in his hands a lot more.

I have not watched him play enough to be fully clear on what his potential is but I don't get the sense that he is all that much better than Smart.

It doesn't seem like the guy we need to expend assets to get.

I agree with you and we're mostly (90%) on the same page. I would say though that Dejounte Murray does create some offense that Smart does not through Murray's quickness and ball-handling particularly in transition but also with some dribble penetration.

That quickness in transition leads to a larger amount of high percentage offensive opportunities for his team just by pushing the ball hard and catching the opponent before they have set their defense.

It would be nice to have that weapon. This team does need more easy offense.

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2022, 12:18:13 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I was surprised Dejounte Murray's TS% was as high as 53.3% which is well below the league average of 56.6%. As far below the league average as 60% would be above league average.

I was surprised because I remember it being a lot worse than that when he was named to the All-Star game. So he was named to the ASG on Feb 7.

At that point in the season Dejounte had a TS% of 51.3% which is more in line with his career averages but finished the rest of the season on a tear posting a TS% of 61%. That 21 game stretch is far beyond anything he has done in his consistently in his career in the past and why his numbers bumped up to 53.3% TS% for the season.

Without that bump, his 51.3% TS% would have been as far below the league average of 56.6% as 62% would be above league average. Huge huge negative in scoring efficiency.

That was why I was so against him being named to the ASG last season. His scoring efficiency was terrible. 

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2022, 12:27:27 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
So is the real Dejounte Murray the one from earlier in the season that is in line with the rest of his career and a player who we should stay well away from due to his absolute horror show of individual scoring efficiency ...

Or is he an improving player who could maybe inch closer to league average scoring efficiency with more time. Even 55% TS% would be well worth it with his quickness, transition offense, dribble penetration and playmaking.

How confident would you be on that future?

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2022, 01:04:53 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
So is the real Dejounte Murray the one from earlier in the season that is in line with the rest of his career and a player who we should stay well away from due to his absolute horror show of individual scoring efficiency ...

Or is he an improving player who could maybe inch closer to league average scoring efficiency with more time. Even 55% TS% would be well worth it with his quickness, transition offense, dribble penetration and playmaking.

How confident would you be on that future?

As with any player, its difficult to view them in a vacuum.  While his TS% on the Spurs leads more to be desired, he was a focal point for opposing defenses.  His situation with us would be different.  As I mentioned in an earlier post here, his skill set compliments this team perfectly.  He’s long and athletic, he plays D, he rebounds, pushes the ball in transition, attacks in transition, would have the best handle on the team, can penetrate, has a mid range game with pull ups and at the rim, can dish out as well once he breaks down the defense.  Our offensive punch will always mainly rely on the J’s, thats what they do and are paid to do.  Being the third option would relieve defensive focus and pressure, which in my opinion, would make him even more dangerous and efficient offensively.  Everything else he brings, is everything else we need from a PG.

Im getting excited just typing this.  I should stop now, because sadly its just a pipe dream.

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2022, 01:27:41 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I could see Murray being a better Rondo here.

Something like 16/9/11 with excellent defense.

I would give up anything other than Tatum/Brown/Timelord.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2022, 01:29:45 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Smart, Grant Williams, Pritchard or Nesmith, and 2 1sts? We can throw in a swap or two too. That's better than what Holliday fetched.

I think he's too close to Smart in value for this deal.  They'd have to either add Vassell or only take 1 first round pick...(of course prefer they add Vassell).  My opinion here is also influenced by considering Grant Williams a quite worthy player and not so easy to give away..Pritchard not too shabby either, though not very consequential here.  Definitely no swaps too...Smart is a very good player!