Author Topic: Summer of Durant Part II (Durant asks for trade)  (Read 16577 times)

Re: Summer of Durant Part II (Durant asks for trade)
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2022, 03:49:40 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I think Boston can make one of the best packages for KD and still have a team good enough remaining.

Something like this would be hard for other teams to beat:

Durant for Brown, Grant, Nesmith, 23 1st, 25 1st, 27 1st

Very tough for another team to beat that and it would still leave BY FAR the favorites to win the title over the next couple of seasons

Smart, White, Tatum, Durant, Horford, Rob, Theis, Pritchard with still having the TPE's to absorb unwanted salary and the TMLE to be used.

I'd do it. You almost have to. For good measure I'd try to get O'Neal for Theis to get wing depth and then try to sign PJ Tucker for TMLE (if he'd take that). See if you can get another center for the TPE or a ring-chaser.

Essentially throwing away our entire future for a chance to win now, sounds like something Brooklyn would do. Not the Celtics.

No thanks on that deal.

Absolutely not!! Durant is 34. He’s still very good, but he’s mortal now, which is why Jayson Tatum was blocking his shot in the playoffs last year. No thanks.

« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2022, 03:51:06 PM »

Offline GreenBoomer

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 7
No way I'm trading Brown, period.

« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2022, 03:51:38 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
No way I'm trading Brown, period.

TP JKJB

Seriously tho, why do people want this guy? He's 34 and entirely unstable.

I get it, the talent is there but could drop off rapidly at his age. More importantly the guy has quit on every team he's ever played for. Do you honestly think he'd be happy in 'racist' Boston? The media here would destroy him, he doesn't have the spine to be a Celtic.

« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2022, 03:53:39 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Here's hoping KD forces his way to Boston to team up with the Jays and we manage to acquire him without parting ways with Brown. We can make it work salary-wise. Needless to say, we'd throw in a gazillion picks and pick swaps.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 03:59:54 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2022, 03:54:46 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
I think Boston can make one of the best packages for KD and still have a team good enough remaining.

Very tough for another team to beat that and it would still leave BY FAR the favorites to win the title over the next couple of seasons

Smart, White, Tatum, Durant, Horford, Rob, Theis, Pritchard with still having the TPE's to absorb unwanted salary and the TMLE to be used.

I'd do it. You almost have to. For good measure I'd try to get O'Neal for Theis to get wing depth and then try to sign PJ Tucker for TMLE (if he'd take that). See if you can get another center for the TPE or a ring-chaser.

Essentially throwing away our entire future for a chance to win now, sounds like something Brooklyn would do. Not the Celtics.

No thanks on that deal.

Absolutely not!! Durant is 34. He’s still very good, but he’s mortal now, which is why Jayson Tatum was blocking his shot in the playoffs last year. No thanks.

Exactly. It’s amazing how short peoples memories are. The Celtics with JB and JT duo just destroyed him and Kyrie in the postseason. I mean it was a sweep! KD looked old in that series and he’s not going to get better at 35 and 36 years old. Unreal..
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2022, 03:57:32 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

No thanks on that deal.

Or maybe it is because Brooklyn had a terrible roster construction and no help for Durant.  He didn't shoot well, but still averaged basically 26/6/6 in the series.

As I've said elsewhere, Boston has to enter this offseason like Middleton didn't get hurt and Boston lost to Milwaukee in the ECS.  If you look at the team like that, it has work to do.  Thinking this past post-season run was likely or repeatable is how a team ends up in the very good, but not great area.  Adding a top 5 guy like Durant while keeping your best player, your 3rd best player, your 4th best player, your 5th best player, and your 6th best player is a no brainer every single time.  Even if that guy is 34 and with some injuries in his past, especially when said player is locked up for 4 more years. 

Boston would be the heavy favorites to win the title over the next 2 or 3 seasons.  HEAVY.  You have to do that without giving it a 2nd thought.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2022, 03:58:06 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

No thanks on that deal.

Exactly. It’s amazing how short peoples memories are. The Celtics with JB and JT duo just destroyed him and Kyrie in the postseason. I mean it was a sweep! KD looked old in that series and he’s not going to get better at 35 and 36 years old. Unreal..

Yeah exactly!  Why on earth would we  give up another 7-8 years of prime Jaylen Brown for 1-2 years of iffy KD right after we smoked them in the playoffs?  TP for you!
I honestly think our starting 5 should stay in place for next year.  That group of 5 was just clobbering teams during the whole 2nd half of the season after they got locked in.  Keep that 5 in place, ADD to those guys.

« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2022, 04:02:02 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

No thanks on that deal.

Yeah exactly!  Why on earth would we  give up another 7-8 years of prime Jaylen Brown for 1-2 years of iffy KD right after we smoked them in the playoffs?  TP for you!
I honestly think our starting 5 should stay in place for next year.  That group of 5 was just clobbering teams during the whole 2nd half of the season after they got locked in.  Keep that 5 in place, ADD to those guys.
to win championships.  That is the goal is it not?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2022, 04:03:36 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

No thanks on that deal.

I would rather have 7-8 shots at it, instead of 1 or 2 max.  I fundamentally disagree with you about this.  But that is ok.  We are both entitled to have opinions.

« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2022, 04:04:55 PM »

Offline GreenBoomer

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 7
Jalen could very well pass Tatum as the alpha on this team. He's totally off the table on any trade discussions imo.

« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2022, 04:07:16 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney

No thanks on that deal.

I would rather have 7-8 shots at it, instead of 1 or 2 max.  I fundamentally disagree with you about this.  But that is ok.  We are both entitled to have opinions.

I feel if we trade for Durant our window is 4 years - once his contract is up thats it. He's gone and Tatum will move on to the Lakers. That is of course he doesnt demand a trade in 2 years like he is doing as we speak.

I think if we keep the Jay's together and we continue to stay competitive we have a strong shot of keeping them both beyond their current contracts. If things fall apart with the Jays then you can kiss both of them goodbye as well.

I'd gamble on the long term keeping the Jay's together. I dont think adding Durant and losing brown makes us THAT much better then we are now. Durant and Tatum is certainly not a championship lock.

why didn't we just trade for Murray?!?

« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2022, 04:08:23 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
Jalen could very well pass Tatum as the alpha on this team. He's totally off the table on any trade discussions imo.

Honestly I think he did after watching the playoffs. Tatum is the media superstar, I feel like Jaylen is the blood of this team.

« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2022, 04:12:30 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Honestly I think he did after watching the playoffs. Tatum is the media superstar, I feel like Jaylen is the blood of this team.

If anything, the Finals drove home that this team can only go as far as Tatum can take them.

But yeah... I think I'm a "no" on Durant. He's walking away from a team with a pretty good shot to be competitive next season. Why? Because he's BFF's ego got bruised in negotiations.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2022, 04:15:40 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

No thanks on that deal.

Or maybe it is because Brooklyn had a terrible roster construction and no help for Durant.  He didn't shoot well, but still averaged basically 26/6/6 in the series.

As I've said elsewhere, Boston has to enter this offseason like Middleton didn't get hurt and Boston lost to Milwaukee in the ECS.  If you look at the team like that, it has work to do.  Thinking this past post-season run was likely or repeatable is how a team ends up in the very good, but not great area.  Adding a top 5 guy like Durant while keeping your best player, your 3rd best player, your 4th best player, your 5th best player, and your 6th best player is a no brainer every single time.  Even if that guy is 34 and with some injuries in his past, especially when said player is locked up for 4 more years. 

Boston would be the heavy favorites to win the title over the next 2 or 3 seasons.  HEAVY.  You have to do that without giving it a 2nd thought.

Grant, Nesmith, 23 1st, 25 1st, 27 1st

That probably would have brought in Murray. Half that would bring in Collins. There are other stars we could get for that. And we keep Brown.

« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2022, 04:16:16 PM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31

No thanks on that deal.

I feel if we trade for Durant our window is 4 years - once his contract is up thats it. He's gone and Tatum will move on to the Lakers. That is of course he doesnt demand a trade in 2 years like he is doing as we speak.

I think if we keep the Jay's together and we continue to stay competitive we have a strong shot of keeping them both beyond their current contracts. If things fall apart with the Jays then you can kiss both of them goodbye as well.

I'd gamble on the long term keeping the Jay's together. I dont think adding Durant and losing brown makes us THAT much better then we are now. Durant and Tatum is certainly not a championship lock.

why didn't we just trade for Murray?!?

It all depends on what we give up.  If we don't have to give up the Jays, does that give us 7-8 years to win, even if we gut the rest of the team?  If we do give up the Jays and eventually retool around Tatum, that can be a successful route too.  Remember that Kobe eventually won without Shaq.  Duncan eventually won without Robinson.  It can be done.  I could not think of a better mentor for Tatum than Durant.  If we can keep Tatum and build a championship culture, we will be able to fill out the roster when Durant leaves and we will have an alpha with championship experience.