Author Topic: Ryan McDonough suggests Kevin Huerter  (Read 3226 times)

Re: Ryan McDonough suggests Kevin Huerter
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2022, 01:27:02 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I'd pass on Huerter. I believe he's overpaid.

- He isn't explosive enough to beat his opponent 1-on-1, hence he cannot consistently create his own shot.
- His D leaves a lot to be desired.

He's basically a floor spacer and a facilitator. Wouldn't be willing to pay $65M over the next 4 seasons for a run-of-the-mill guy who isn't a 2-way player.

He is only 23 so you would be banking on development but 4 years / $65M is a pretty hefty contract.  Not sure why Atl would give him that contract and then trade him.  I guess what people are thinking is that he fits our TPE so maybe we can get him for young players (outside our core) and future picks?  Doesn't seem like such a good deal for ATL.

The thing with contracts like this is that in say 3 years, $18M for the player Hueter may become may not be that much.  Salaries always go up.  Or it could go the other way and if Hueter doesn't improve much, this is going to be dead weight on the cap.

I don't see him moving unless ATL pulls off a deal for Beal or Durant someone like that.

14+- million next yr with standard raises is not hefty for a high volume shooter. Compare salaries to Harris, Beasley, Robinson, Kinnard, McDermott. It's the cost of getting a shooter

Of all the guys you listed, I think Heurter has the most untapped potential as well.

Hueter is a no brainer as a salary dump pick up.
if it's done as a salary dump for ATL, then a lot would depend on what else they're giving us for the assistance in clearing their cap.  as mentioned, it's not a short contract nor a cheap one especially for someone who right now projects to be 8th on the depth chart

Our depth chart has nothing to do with his value. Shooting is in demand. Huerter isn't overpaid. He'd have a market.

I think Huerter is overpaid. He's getting starter money but he's a bench guy. I value him but I'm not sure of his value around the league and it looks like Atlanta wants to make some changes.
He most certainly is not getting starter money.

16 million a year seems like starter money. going up to almost 18 million at the end of his deal.

Huerter: 14.5, 15.5, 17, 18
Harris: 17, 18.5, 20
Robinson: 17, 18, 19, 20
Kinnard: 14, 15, 15
Beasley: 14.5, 15.5
McDermott: 14, 14
Bertrans: 16, 17, 16

All of those guys are over paid.

Apparently there is a league-wide market for this kind of player, which means maybe they aren't overpaid.

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2022, 01:27:12 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119

- He isn't explosive enough to beat his opponent 1-on-1, hence he cannot consistently create his own shot.

He's basically a floor spacer and a facilitator. Wouldn't be willing to pay $65M over the next 4 seasons for a run-of-the-mill guy who isn't a 2-way player.

He is only 23 so you would be banking on development but 4 years / $65M is a pretty hefty contract.  Not sure why Atl would give him that contract and then trade him.  I guess what people are thinking is that he fits our TPE so maybe we can get him for young players (outside our core) and future picks?  Doesn't seem like such a good deal for ATL.

The thing with contracts like this is that in say 3 years, $18M for the player Hueter may become may not be that much.  Salaries always go up.  Or it could go the other way and if Hueter doesn't improve much, this is going to be dead weight on the cap.

I don't see him moving unless ATL pulls off a deal for Beal or Durant someone like that.

14+- million next yr with standard raises is not hefty for a high volume shooter. Compare salaries to Harris, Beasley, Robinson, Kinnard, McDermott. It's the cost of getting a shooter

Of all the guys you listed, I think Heurter has the most untapped potential as well.

if it's done as a salary dump for ATL, then a lot would depend on what else they're giving us for the assistance in clearing their cap.  as mentioned, it's not a short contract nor a cheap one especially for someone who right now projects to be 8th on the depth chart

Our depth chart has nothing to do with his value. Shooting is in demand. Huerter isn't overpaid. He'd have a market.

I think Huerter is overpaid. He's getting starter money but he's a bench guy. I value him but I'm not sure of his value around the league and it looks like Atlanta wants to make some changes.

16 million a year seems like starter money. going up to almost 18 million at the end of his deal.

Why are we talking about money? Who cares? Didn’t ownership say they’d open the wallet? The team that beat us in the Finals is spending hundreds of millions of dollars more than other teams. That’s the ticket to victory. Spend or be spent.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2022, 01:37:40 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176

Why are we talking about money? Who cares? Didn’t ownership say they’d open the wallet? The team that beat us in the Finals is spending hundreds of millions of dollars more than other teams. That’s the ticket to victory. Spend or be spent.

Just because I consider a guy overpaid doesn't mean I won't want us to go and get him. I think Horford is overpaid but I'm glad he was on our team this year. Atlanta really overpaid for the team they have because The Sixers collapsed in the playoffs and they thought they were closer than they were. Now teams are trying to get out of some of these contracts and that could benefit the Celtics!

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2022, 08:09:24 AM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Saw this little nugget in an article this morning. I hadn't heard this previously:

It's not the first time the Celtics have reportedly had interest in Huerter. In January, they reportedly considered trading Marcus Smart, the NBA's defensive player of the year this season, for Huerter and former lottery pick Cam Reddish.

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2022, 08:10:56 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Saw this little nugget in an article this morning. I hadn't heard this previously:

It's not the first time the Celtics have reportedly had interest in Huerter. In January, they reportedly considered trading Marcus Smart, the NBA's defensive player of the year this season, for Huerter and former lottery pick Cam Reddish.

I hadn't read that one, either.  That would have been brutal for us.  Who would our point guard have been?  Schroeder?  Pritchard?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2022, 08:21:28 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547

Just because I consider a guy overpaid doesn't mean I won't want us to go and get him. I think Horford is overpaid but I'm glad he was on our team this year. Atlanta really overpaid for the team they have because The Sixers collapsed in the playoffs and they thought they were closer than they were. Now teams are trying to get out of some of these contracts and that could benefit the Celtics!
Um, they signed all of those guys before the Sixers collapsed.  The fact that they signed all of those guys before that series, is the reason they could beat them and help force that collapse. 

The Hawks did basically nothing last summer and the result was the season last year. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip