Author Topic: Ryan McDonough suggests Kevin Huerter  (Read 3225 times)

Re: Ryan McDonough suggests Kevin Huerter
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2022, 10:55:18 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'd pass on Huerter. I believe he's overpaid.

- He isn't explosive enough to beat his opponent 1-on-1, hence he cannot consistently create his own shot.
- His D leaves a lot to be desired.

He's basically a floor spacer and a facilitator. Wouldn't be willing to pay $65M over the next 4 seasons for a run-of-the-mill guy who isn't a 2-way player.

He is only 23 so you would be banking on development but 4 years / $65M is a pretty hefty contract.  Not sure why Atl would give him that contract and then trade him.  I guess what people are thinking is that he fits our TPE so maybe we can get him for young players (outside our core) and future picks?  Doesn't seem like such a good deal for ATL.

The thing with contracts like this is that in say 3 years, $18M for the player Hueter may become may not be that much.  Salaries always go up.  Or it could go the other way and if Hueter doesn't improve much, this is going to be dead weight on the cap.

I don't see him moving unless ATL pulls off a deal for Beal or Durant someone like that.

14+- million next yr with standard raises is not hefty for a high volume shooter. Compare salaries to Harris, Beasley, Robinson, Kinnard, McDermott. It's the cost of getting a shooter

Of all the guys you listed, I think Heurter has the most untapped potential as well.

Hueter is a no brainer as a salary dump pick up.
if it's done as a salary dump for ATL, then a lot would depend on what else they're giving us for the assistance in clearing their cap.  as mentioned, it's not a short contract nor a cheap one especially for someone who right now projects to be 8th on the depth chart

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2022, 11:01:57 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176

- He isn't explosive enough to beat his opponent 1-on-1, hence he cannot consistently create his own shot.

He's basically a floor spacer and a facilitator. Wouldn't be willing to pay $65M over the next 4 seasons for a run-of-the-mill guy who isn't a 2-way player.

He is only 23 so you would be banking on development but 4 years / $65M is a pretty hefty contract.  Not sure why Atl would give him that contract and then trade him.  I guess what people are thinking is that he fits our TPE so maybe we can get him for young players (outside our core) and future picks?  Doesn't seem like such a good deal for ATL.

The thing with contracts like this is that in say 3 years, $18M for the player Hueter may become may not be that much.  Salaries always go up.  Or it could go the other way and if Hueter doesn't improve much, this is going to be dead weight on the cap.

I don't see him moving unless ATL pulls off a deal for Beal or Durant someone like that.

14+- million next yr with standard raises is not hefty for a high volume shooter. Compare salaries to Harris, Beasley, Robinson, Kinnard, McDermott. It's the cost of getting a shooter

Of all the guys you listed, I think Heurter has the most untapped potential as well.

if it's done as a salary dump for ATL, then a lot would depend on what else they're giving us for the assistance in clearing their cap.  as mentioned, it's not a short contract nor a cheap one especially for someone who right now projects to be 8th on the depth chart

Can they throw in Jaylen Johnson and we'll send a couple of seconds? It would have to be two separate trades.

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2022, 11:34:03 AM »

Offline CBS_Take a Report

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
https://www.audacy.com/weei/sports/celtics/clues-that-can-lead-brad-stevens-to-a-championship

He’s been talked about over the years. Could he be a good glue guy, first off the bench, scoring spark plug and outside shooting threat?

He would plug a lot of holes and I always liked his style of play.

That may be overrating his offense. He is not much of a scorer. He scores 12ppg in 30mpg. Most of his shot attempts are created by others for him. Last year was the 1st year of his career he had a positive TS% due to his inability to get to the FT line (1 FT per 10 FGAs). So he is reliant on his outside shot falling.

Huerter is a solid glue guy. He can shoot from outside and he can handle & pass the ball a little. He is an adequate defender - close to middle of the pack, maybe a bit below average.

He is not a 6th man. He is not better than D White. He'll be more consistent than G Williams on offense but not overall because G Williams gives you more defense. So Huerter would be the 8th man here which is typical of what you would expect from him on most contenders. He can be a stop-gap starting SG if hard up or an 8th man type bench player.

I like him. He'd be good to have. But I'd be wary of overstating his capabilities & what he'd bring to the table.
for what he gets paid, he needs to be a lot better than an 8th man

I disagree with the assessment that he would be behind DWhite and GWill on the depth chart.

I believe they both had no one pushing them down so they filled stats because of a lack of option. Bench depth is a huge area of need for this team.

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2022, 11:42:44 AM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

Our depth chart has nothing to do with his value. Shooting is in demand. Huerter isn't overpaid. He'd have a market.

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2022, 11:47:13 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Our depth chart has nothing to do with his value. Shooting is in demand. Huerter isn't overpaid. He'd have a market.

I think Huerter is overpaid. He's getting starter money but he's a bench guy. I value him but I'm not sure of his value around the league and it looks like Atlanta wants to make some changes. He's going to be making more than White, Smart, and TIMELORD,

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2022, 11:49:46 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

I think Huerter is overpaid. He's getting starter money but he's a bench guy. I value him but I'm not sure of his value around the league and it looks like Atlanta wants to make some changes.
He most certainly is not getting starter money. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2022, 11:51:44 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I think Huerter is overpaid. He's getting starter money but he's a bench guy. I value him but I'm not sure of his value around the league and it looks like Atlanta wants to make some changes.

16 million a year seems like starter money. going up to almost 18 million at the end of his deal.

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2022, 11:55:05 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

16 million a year seems like starter money.
Well sure some starters make less than that, but that is generally in the range of quality 6th or 7th man salary.  He'd be the 6th highest paid player on the C's (as an example). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2022, 11:55:23 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

16 million a year seems like starter money. going up to almost 18 million at the end of his deal.
agreed.  that's a lot of money to come off the bench.  we're not talking a spot starter here or Lou Williams SMOY performance either.   

I'm all for using that TPE before it expires but I want it used smartly where it doesn't come back to haunt us in another year with an overpaid guy on the books for a few years.

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2022, 11:55:52 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Hawks are already at 152 million in salary for next year. That's a lot of cabbage for that team.

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2022, 11:59:03 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

16 million a year seems like starter money.
Well sure some starters make less than that, but that is generally in the range of quality 6th or 7th man salary.  He'd be the 6th highest paid player on the C's (as an example).

You pay that if you are a contender but not if you clearly aren't.

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2022, 12:15:07 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Why would Atlanta want to move him? Huerter is their starting SG. Bogdon was coming off the bench.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2022, 12:45:13 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown

Huerter: 14.5, 15.5, 17, 18
Harris: 17, 18.5, 20
Robinson: 17, 18, 19, 20
Kinnard: 14, 15, 15
Beasley: 14.5, 15.5
McDermott: 14, 14
Bertrans: 16, 17, 16

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2022, 12:53:24 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
Why would Atlanta want to move him? Huerter is their starting SG. Bogdon was coming off the bench.

I think the speculation is based on the lack of defense in their back court trio of Trae Young, Bogdanovic, Huerter and their need to pay Hunter next summer.

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2022, 01:25:19 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Huerter: 14.5, 15.5, 17, 18
Harris: 17, 18.5, 20
Robinson: 17, 18, 19, 20
Kinnard: 14, 15, 15
Beasley: 14.5, 15.5
McDermott: 14, 14
Bertrans: 16, 17, 16

All of those guys are over paid.