Author Topic: Woj: Jerami Grant to Portland  (Read 3014 times)

Re: Woj: Jerami Grant to Portland
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2022, 08:39:23 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Chris Haynes: Portland Trail Blazers are in pursuit of Toronto Raptors forward OG Anunoby with the No. 7 pick in Thursday’s draft in play, league sources tell @YahooSports. – via Twitter ChrisBHaynes

That would be an interesting remake of Portland’s roster.

That would be fantastic. That could put a title contender together there if they can pull that off.

Anunoby and Jerami Grant would be the best forward combination they have had since Aldridge and Batum. Great combo to have next to Lillard.
Let's not get all hyperbolic. Even with Grant and Anunoby, that Portland team is not getting anywhere near home court advantage in the playoffs out West. They're probably playing in the play-in.
Anfernee Simons played well for them last year. Bring back Nurkic or replace him with a solid starter. Put together a solid bench.

That is a team that can be a top 4 seed in the West.

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2022, 08:42:36 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Biggest problem for Portland these last few years has been the lack of capable forward play. The best combo they had was Moe Harkless and Aminu. That is when they made the WCF. And since then they've had far worse forward play.

Anunoby and Jerami Grant are leaps and bounds better than those two were. Their athleticism, defensive talent and two way games are exactly what that Portland team has been crying out for.

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2022, 08:43:31 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Anfernee Simons 17ppg 4ast 44% FG% 40% 3PT%.

Good replacement for McCollum.

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2022, 08:51:58 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Chris Haynes: Portland Trail Blazers are in pursuit of Toronto Raptors forward OG Anunoby with the No. 7 pick in Thursday’s draft in play, league sources tell @YahooSports. – via Twitter ChrisBHaynes

Seems like a lot to give up for OG no? Like, he’s a nice player but is he really worth a lotto pick?

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2022, 08:52:59 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Mmm, I forgot Memphis. Okay so I have that new-look Portland team 5 or 6 alongside Dallas. Not top 4. My first reaction was wrong.

So the Warriors will be back. Memphis will be back. Denver should return to the top of the West with Murray and Porter Jr back. LAC should be top 4 with Kawhi and PG13 returning. They are my top 4.

I have Phoenix slipping back out of the top 6 without Ayton. Utah too as their problems with their supporting cast continue to derail their chances. Pelicans and T'Wolves looking like the other play in teams alongside PHO and UTA.

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2022, 08:54:54 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Seems like a lot to give up for OG no? Like, he’s a nice player but is he really worth a lotto pick?

I rate Anunoby as a top 10 SF or top 10 PF whichever spot you want to play him at. Fair value for a #7 pick.

Reminds me of that Shane Battier for Rudy Gay (#8 pick) trade.

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2022, 09:30:03 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

That would be fantastic. That could put a title contender together there if they can pull that off.

Anunoby and Jerami Grant would be the best forward combination they have had since Aldridge and Batum. Great combo to have next to Lillard.
Let's not get all hyperbolic. Even with Grant and Anunoby, that Portland team is not getting anywhere near home court advantage in the playoffs out West. They're probably playing in the play-in.
Strongly disagree on the play-in comment. Lillard is a legit #1, Grant is a 20ppg guy and OG Anunoby is an elite 3rd option type. Both of those wings are seriously good defenders too. Anfernee Simons is an electric scoring guard who could easily play that Jordan Poole role off the bench, and Josh Hart has developed into a really well-rounded wing player who can do a bit of everything.

I'm not sure about title contention for two reasons. The primary one is Jusuf Nurkic. He is incredibly injury-prone and is a weird defender - good rim protector and can bang with the biggest guys, but can get lost on the perimeter easily. Would love to see a more mobile big man who can still pass for this team (someone like Plumlee or Al).

The other reason is Chauncey Billups. I have no idea what he is like as a coach.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2022, 09:47:31 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Seems like a crap return for DET.

Why did nobody beat that offer?

He would've been great here for that bargain basement price.
we should have been able to if we hadn't overpaid for White.  would have been a great addition to the bench

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2022, 09:58:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Strongly disagree on the play-in comment. Lillard is a legit #1, Grant is a 20ppg guy and OG Anunoby is an elite 3rd option type. Both of those wings are seriously good defenders too. Anfernee Simons is an electric scoring guard who could easily play that Jordan Poole role off the bench, and Josh Hart has developed into a really well-rounded wing player who can do a bit of everything.

I'm not sure about title contention for two reasons. The primary one is Jusuf Nurkic. He is incredibly injury-prone and is a weird defender - good rim protector and can bang with the biggest guys, but can get lost on the perimeter easily. Would love to see a more mobile big man who can still pass for this team (someone like Plumlee or Al).

The other reason is Chauncey Billups. I have no idea what he is like as a coach.
How many of the following teams are the Blazers actually better than

Warriors, Suns, Grizzlies, Mavericks, Clippers (assuming PG and KL are back), Nuggets (w/ JM and MPJ)

I don't think they are better than any of those teams and that doesn't even account for rising teams like the Wolves and Pelicans or whatever the heck happens with the other LA team and the Jazz. 

I just don't get why Portland is actually trying to win instead of just trading Lillard.  It makes no sense because I can't see how they can get good enough to truly compete with the best teams. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2022, 10:00:22 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

we should have been able to if we hadn't overpaid for White.  would have been a great addition to the bench
Grant wasn’t coming off the bench. Guy left a good situation in Denver because he wasn’t getting touches and to be the guy. It’s the reason why he was traded for peanuts. He wants to have a bigger role and he wants to get paid.

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2022, 10:17:50 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Grant wasn’t coming off the bench. Guy left a good situation in Denver because he wasn’t getting touches and to be the guy. It’s the reason why he was traded for peanuts. He wants to have a bigger role and he wants to get paid.
move Al to the bench and start him with Smart, the J's and TL.  either way, this team gets much better

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2022, 10:31:58 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Great move for Portland. If they can flip #7 for Anunoby, they would have a solid core to build around.
Lillard, Simons, Grant, Anunoby, Hart, hobbled Nurkic, and a few young guys.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2022, 02:28:37 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Warriors, Suns, Grizzlies, Mavericks, Clippers (assuming PG and KL are back), Nuggets (w/ JM and MPJ)

I don't think they are better than any of those teams and that doesn't even account for rising teams like the Wolves and Pelicans or whatever the heck happens with the other LA team and the Jazz. 

I just don't get why Portland is actually trying to win instead of just trading Lillard.  It makes no sense because I can't see how they can get good enough to truly compete with the best teams.
I think they're better than the Grizzlies (who I don't rate at all, and view as a total flash in the pan) and potentially better than LAC and Denver given their reliance upon injury-prone guys.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2022, 05:10:23 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I think they're better than the Grizzlies (who I don't rate at all, and view as a total flash in the pan) and potentially better than LAC and Denver given their reliance upon injury-prone guys.
If we are giving a pass on recovery from injury to a 32 year old, smaller sized PG who just missed 3/4 of the season, seems we should assume good recovery for Kawhi, George, MPJ and Murray, who, except for PG, are all younger than Dame.

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2022, 06:35:51 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

the Grizzlies who followed up a playoff season with the 2nd best record in basketball are a flash in the pan? I think you need to lay-off whatever it is you are smoking.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip