Author Topic: “Prove it” Contract?  (Read 1719 times)

“Prove it” Contract?
« on: June 22, 2022, 10:16:58 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
A name I haven’t heard in a while is TJ Warren. He missed last season due to a foot injury, but could be the wing addition the C’s need off the bench. Instant offense and the past two seasons he played, TJ shot over 40% from 3pt. Last year the Celtics were able to get Schroder on a “prove it” contract and it would great if they could get Warren on a similar deal.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 09:42:45 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Prove it contract?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2022, 10:20:16 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Warren being a wing and younger than Schroeder should get him bigger offers. Good bringing him up he is a guy to watch on where he goes.

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 10:36:10 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Warren has been discussed on local Boston media and on-line.  He would be a great fit.

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2022, 11:05:57 AM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
bringing him in would probably be warrented :)

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2022, 11:20:39 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Warren being a wing and younger than Schroeder should get him bigger offers. Good bringing him up he is a guy to watch on where he goes.

I’m not sure about that. TJ missed all of last year and played 4 games the year before. I don’t think teams are going to give him a ton of money until he plays again. Warren is also slightly older than Schroder.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2022, 11:23:28 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If he’ll take the MLE, I’d love to have him here.  He’s worth the risk.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2022, 11:30:40 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
A name I haven’t heard in a while is TJ Warren. He missed last season due to a foot injury, but could be the wing addition the C’s need off the bench. Instant offense and the past two seasons he played, TJ shot over 40% from 3pt. Last year the Celtics were able to get Schroder on a “prove it” contract and it would great if they could get Warren on a similar deal.

He fits the short term contract Brad was talking about in his interview.  If he's healthy he'd be a good addition.

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2022, 09:15:48 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Warren has been discussed on local Boston media and on-line.  He would be a great fit.
Like the polar opposite type of forward from Grant Williams. G-Will the low usage defender shooter. Warren the prolific scorer. Great option for contrasting skill-sets and giving the coaching staff more lineup & matchup flexibility.

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2022, 07:51:50 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
"Prove" as in prove he's healthy right

because I think he basically broke out before?

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2022, 09:13:17 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

I’m not sure about that. TJ missed all of last year and played 4 games the year before. I don’t think teams are going to give him a ton of money until he plays again. Warren is also slightly older than Schroder.

I didn't realize he has missed nearly TWO full seasons.  Wow.  He could be a prototypical scoring wing off the bench for us if we could get him.  He has $55M of career earnings already but at 28, (29 by start of season) this is the time where he would normally get one more big contract.

We can offer $6.4M (TP-MLE) and a very well defined bench role on a title contending team.   He had been a full time starter for 4 straight seasons and put up close to 20 pts/gm.  His 3% improved to over 40% for two consecutive seasons.  I am sure plenty of teams will have interest, including Indy who can pay him the most.  Hard to imagine we can get him but I am sure that the Celtics will check in.

The down side is that we can't afford to waste our MLE.  If we use it on Warren and he ends up missing most of the year, that will really hurt us.  Other teams may be in a better position to take that risk.  Probably ends up staying in Indy for a lot more than $6.4M.

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2022, 09:39:50 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Yes and also to show that he can still play at a high level. He hasn’t played in nearly 2 years.

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2022, 09:56:10 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1551

Yes and also to show that he can still play at a high level. He hasn’t played in nearly 2 years.

injury prone? not good
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2022, 01:43:07 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

injury prone? not good

Coming off an injury is the only reason the C’s might have a shot at him. If it’s for the MLE, would be a low risk/high reward signing.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 02:22:12 PM by Goldstar88 »