Author Topic: Knicks unloading noel  (Read 2973 times)

Knicks unloading noel
« on: June 21, 2022, 12:47:14 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Seems the Knicks are intent on moving noel to get cap space to go after Brunson (or possibly irving). Good tpe target? Seems we could get it done since they want to dump salary.

Re: Knicks unloading noel
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 12:52:11 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Is he better than theis?  I don’t think so, right?
Definitely not a shooting threat

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 12:57:49 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Good alternative to Rob Williams. Maintains defensive identity when Rob sits or is injured. Shot-blocker + perimeter defender. Solid rebounder. Active energetic athletic big man.

I like it.

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 01:03:39 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
His contract is $9.2M.  For that you get 3.4 pts and 5.6 rebs.  That was in 22.5 min so even a per36 sort is not going to make him look good.

Don't see it.  Let him go to OKC with a second round pick.

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 01:07:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
His contract is $9.2M.  For that you get 3.4 pts and 5.6 rebs.  That was in 22.5 min so even a per36 sort is not going to make him look good.

He also gets you one and a half steals and one and a half blocks in that time, which is where his value is...on the defensive side of the ball.

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2022, 01:12:37 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

He also gets you one and a half steals and one and a half blocks in that time, which is where his value is...on the defensive side of the ball.

I've thought for a while that Noel would be a great backup that duplicated a lot of Rob Williams disruptiveness. You could potentially get 48 minutes a game of very disruptive defense at the rim.

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2022, 01:25:38 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
Is he better than theis?  I don’t think so, right?
Definitely not a shooting threat

Theis isn’t much of a shooting threat either. Defensively he’s worlds above Theis
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2022, 01:29:56 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
if the Knicks waive him, sure, worth kicking the tires on him.  would I trade more than a second rounder for him?  no.

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2022, 01:39:56 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
I think he’s a shadow of Rob in the same way that Cousins is a shadow of Jokic for the Nuggets.  A lesser player certainly, but his skillset and playstyle are similar enough to the real thing that you can continue running the same schemes with either one of them on the court.  There’s value in that consistency.

I’m interested.  We could do a lot worse for a backup big, and I’m mostly done with Theis. 

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2022, 01:40:26 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He'd be fine...  if we were moving Theis in another trade.  Otherwise, I don't think you can spend $18 million on backup centers who don't move the needle all that much.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2022, 02:02:14 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
He'd be fine...  if we were moving Theis in another trade.  Otherwise, I don't think you can spend $18 million on backup centers who don't move the needle all that much.

I feel like we have to move theis either way. He is a shell of his former self from what I saw in the playoffs and seemingly will only decline further. I think noel, if healthy, is much more playable in the playoffs cause of his defense.

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2022, 02:23:44 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I feel like we have to move theis either way. He is a shell of his former self from what I saw in the playoffs and seemingly will only decline further. I think noel, if healthy, is much more playable in the playoffs cause of his defense.

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2022, 05:44:29 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I’d be all in if we found a third team to take Theis. I want to dump Theis anyway, and Noel has a lot of similar strengths to TL.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2022, 09:26:33 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I find it hard to believe that Boston would just dump Theis after trading expiring contracts to acquire him.  I mean if he is at the point where they just need to dump him off, they never should have brought him in to begin with.  And frankly Schroder would have had more value at times in the playoffs than Theis ever did. 

Clearly a bad trade from Boston.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2022, 09:40:47 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I find it hard to believe that Boston would just dump Theis after trading expiring contracts to acquire him.  I mean if he is at the point where they just need to dump him off, they never should have brought him in to begin with.  And frankly Schroder would have had more value at times in the playoffs than Theis ever did. 

Clearly a bad trade from Boston.

It was a bad trade, probably the only clear mistake you can point at from brad since he took over for ainge. Theis just seemed to have lost the lateral quickness that made him playable after he left the Celtics. My guess is Brad thought he was coasting on a horrible team and made a poor judgement of his value. That being said, I also don’t think there was any way we could have kept Schroeder. He was looking for his numbers in a contract year and there have been a lot of hints that he was part of the early season chemistry problems. Just needed to trade him for someone else.