Author Topic: Cryrie at impasse with Nets, could test open market  (Read 4164 times)

Re: Cryrie at impasse with Nets, could test open market
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2022, 07:46:30 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
How about Kyrie to Miami for Lowry, Herro and filler?

Looking at it from the Nets POV, Bringing Lowry and Herro in would probably entice Durant to stay with the Nets.  Butler, Bam and Kyrie would on paper make the Heat more dangerous.

I don't understand the bold part.  Durant is under contract for around $50M per year for the next 4 seasons, with no player options or any other "out".  The Nets can trade him if they choose but unless Durant decides to pull a Simmons, there is no enticing that needs to be done.

As for trading Kyrie, I don't think there are any really good trades out there.  This one proposed is reasonable but I have my doubts that Miami would want to bring in Kyrie.  The Clippers could have a formidable big 3 with Leonard, George, Irving so maybe they can piece together a deal that interests the Nets.  Marcus Morris and Norman Powell would work.  Both would be useful players for the Nets.

Simmons
Powell
Harris
Durant
Claxton

Morris, Curry, maybe Drummond and Brown on the bench?  Still a formidable playoff team so long as Durant is healthy.

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2022, 09:07:02 AM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16

Looking at it from the Nets POV, Bringing Lowry and Herro in would probably entice Durant to stay with the Nets.  Butler, Bam and Kyrie would on paper make the Heat more dangerous.

I don't understand the bold part.  Durant is under contract for around $50M per year for the next 4 seasons, with no player options or any other "out".  The Nets can trade him if they choose but unless Durant decides to pull a Simmons, there is no enticing that needs to be done.

As for trading Kyrie, I don't think there are any really good trades out there.  This one proposed is reasonable but I have my doubts that Miami would want to bring in Kyrie.  The Clippers could have a formidable big 3 with Leonard, George, Irving so maybe they can piece together a deal that interests the Nets.  Marcus Morris and Norman Powell would work.  Both would be useful players for the Nets.

Simmons
Powell
Harris
Durant
Claxton

Morris, Curry, maybe Drummond and Brown on the bench?  Still a formidable playoff team so long as Durant is healthy.

The Simmons situation from last year set the precedent for a star player's forcing his way off a team notwithstanhding the fact he was under contract for multiple years at a time.  The NBA is clearly a star's league and Durant is one of the greatest ones right now, so I could see him forcing his way off the Nets.

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2022, 11:05:09 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I mean, you knew stuff like this would start coming out soon:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10039275-espn-kyrie-irving-would-hold-his-own-practices-with-nets-after-steve-nashs-practice

Kyrie was holding his own practices following the Nets regular practices. The anti-AI. He doesn't play in actual games but undermines the coach by running extra practices  ;D

I feel like the quote and article are missing some context. Was Kyrie holding separate practices during the time frame when he wasn't allowed in the Nets facility because of the Covid restrictions? If that was the case, then I would have no issue with it at all, since Kyrie was trying to get into basketball shape and form chemistry with his teammates. In this scenario, Coach Nash wouldn't want to know (wink wink) about these separate practices and put the Nets organization in a liability type of situation, but at the same time could be beneficial from a team perspective.

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2022, 11:53:06 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

Simmons
Powell
Harris
Durant
Claxton

The Simmons situation from last year set the precedent for a star player's forcing his way off a team notwithstanhding the fact he was under contract for multiple years at a time.  The NBA is clearly a star's league and Durant is one of the greatest ones right now, so I could see him forcing his way off the Nets.

That is a possibility of course.  My exact quote was "unless he pulls a Simmons...".  I am not sure if Simmons has set a precedent.  Simmons has forfeited a lot of money and really has jeopardized his entire career.  He is not the first to go to extreme measures to force a trade and likely not the last but I don't think you can take that and then jump to the conclusion that unless the Nets "entice him to stay" that Durant will do the same.  I feel it is unlikely that Durant does that but who knows.

As I said elsewhere, my prediction is that after "testing the market" Kyrie is going to realize that the market is not offering all that many desirable options.  He is going to end up signing his option at the last minute and then he will sit out to try and force a trade.  His agent may be able to find a trade out there for him but if not, what is he going to do?

Can you imagine the worst case for the Nets, that Durant, Kyrie, and Simmons are all sitting out trying to force trades?  After signing his option because no one else will pay him, Kyrie gets mad because the Nets won't trade him for bad contracts or buy him out so he can play where he wants.  Durant sits out, well just because I guess (I don't see why he would but some seem to think he might).  And Simmons sits out because Kyrie and Durant are sitting out.  Wow.

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2022, 12:03:11 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
I can see a team signing Kyrie for a short term deal but is anyone going to give him a max contract?  Would the Knicks be desperate enough to do it?  I could see him going there.  The Lakers would take him in a second if they could trade Westbrook for him.  I just don't see him playing anywhere but Brooklyn for 1 more year.  Rehab his image.   Have a great year and he can go where he wants for the max.  No way Brooklyn thinks it's better to let him walk and get nothing.

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2022, 12:13:30 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I can see a team signing Kyrie for a short term deal but is anyone going to give him a max contract?  Would the Knicks be desperate enough to do it?  I could see him going there.  The Lakers would take him in a second if they could trade Westbrook for him.  I just don't see him playing anywhere but Brooklyn for 1 more year.  Rehab his image.   Have a great year and he can go where he wants for the max.  No way Brooklyn thinks it's better to let him walk and get nothing.

I think there are teams that would give him a max. OKC, Orlando, Portland, Pistons, Knicks, Sixers, Raps, Pacers, Heat, Jazz, Mavs, Lakers, Kings, etc... I think there are many teams that would welcome Kyrie. Teams would give Hardin the max and he's cooked.

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2022, 10:40:37 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
LeBron will probably try to orchestrate this: Kyrie opts-in, and sits out like Simmons, simultaneously getting KD to sit out too. They both demand to be dealt to the Lakers or say they’re not playing in 2022-2023. Nets do not have much leverage, so KD/Kyrie get dealt to LA Lakers for AD/Westbrook/whatever picks are left for LA to deal. 😬 then all the ring-chasers join the club for one last attempt by the King to win a title…

And it could just work…I mean, LA/LeBron need some shenanigans to get out of the Westbrick nightmare. Meanwhile, on the Nets side, having a frontcourt of AD/Simmons with a decent-ish supporting cast and a bunch of picks from LA, albeit years from now and second-rounders, is nothing to turn your nose up at. Plus Westbrook is still a big name and a frontcourt like that might be good for his game.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 10:46:10 PM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2022, 10:47:00 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
LeBron will probably try to orchestrate this: Kyrie opts-in, and sits out like Simmons, simultaneously getting KD to sit out too. They both demand to be dealt to the Lakers or say they’re not playing in 2022-2023. Nets do not have much leverage, so KD/Kyrie get dealt to LA Lakers for AD/Westbrook/whatever picks are left for LA to deal. 😬 then all the ring-chasers join the club for one last attempt by the King to win a title…

And it could just work…I mean, LA/LeBron need some shenanigans to get out of the Westbrick nightmare. Meanwhile, on the Nets side, having a frontcourt of AD/Simmons with a decent-ish supporting cast and a bunch of picks from LA, albeit years from now and second-rounders, is nothing to turn your nose up at. Plus Westbrook is still a big name and a frontcourt like that might be good for his game.

No part of this makes any sense. Reminds me of that scene from billy Madison.

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2022, 11:02:08 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Hahahah, TP.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2022, 11:04:20 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

OK. A simple “wrong” would’ve done just fine 🤣

In all seriousness, LAL have a ton of picks and swaps to throw at Brooklyn. We all know that LeBron gets special treatment. If KD/Kyrie want to force their way into LA with LeBron, I bet it can happen.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 11:11:29 PM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2022, 11:18:27 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
All this discussion of options are moot if I am an NBA GM. Irving is a cancerous wack-job and will eventually undermine the chemistry of any team dumb enough to take him. He is not going to rehabilitate his image. He simply can't help himself from being destructive.

Having said that, I would love to see him go the Lakers and watch him unload his drama on that franchise.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2022, 11:37:34 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

In all seriousness, LAL have a ton of picks and swaps to throw at Brooklyn. We all know that LeBron gets special treatment. If KD/Kyrie want to force their way into LA with LeBron, I bet it can happen.

The Lakers have a ton of picks and swaps?

Didn’t they give all those away to get Anthony Davis?

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2022, 11:44:54 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

LA's "tons of picks and swaps to throw at Brooklyn" include all of the following:

2023 2nd rounder from Chicago

2024 2nd rounder from Washington or Memphis

2028 2nd rounder from Wsahington

On top of that, they owe the following picks of their own to other teams:

2022 1st rounder to NOLA

2022 2nd rounder to SAS

2023 1st rounder pick swap to NOLA

2024 1st rounder to NOLA

2024 2nd rounder to Memphis

2026 2nd rounder to Cleveland

Hard to pass up that behemoth pick package!  ;D You can find it all here: https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed.

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2022, 01:03:25 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

LA's "tons of picks and swaps to throw at Brooklyn" include all of the following:

2022 1st rounder to NOLA

2022 2nd rounder to SAS

2024 1st rounder to NOLA

Hard to pass up that behemoth pick package!  ;D You can find it all here: https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed.

You forgot they could use these in addition to all of those seconds, and AD:

2025 1st swap
2026 1st
2027 1st swap
2028 1st
2029 1st swap

Do you think 37-year-old GM James is not going to try turning those into present day improvements?

Anybody who thinks the Lakers are just stuck with AD/Westbrick is not paying attention to how it works for the Lakers in this NBA of the past 25 years. Just wait and see.

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2022, 01:33:08 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

2022 1st rounder to NOLA

2022 2nd rounder to SAS

2024 1st rounder to NOLA

You forgot they could use these in addition to all of those seconds, and AD:

2025 1st swap
2026 1st
2027 1st swap
2028 1st
2029 1st swap

Do you think 37-year-old GM James is not going to try turning those into present day improvements?

Anybody who thinks the Lakers are just stuck with AD/Westbrick is not paying attention to how it works for the Lakers in this NBA of the past 25 years. Just wait and see.

The only picks they can trade are first rounds in 2027 and 2029. unless every article on the lakers blog is wrong. You are flat out wrong they could trade a first round pick in 2025 or 2026 at this time. This is substantially less than just about any team. Also in what world are the lakers getting good players in trades the last 20 years. They actually overpaid for Davis giving up a ton of first round picks on top of Ingram (a rising all star), ball and hart. The first of these picks is already the 8th pick. It was a massive overpay given the contract situation of Davis. Their other recent star Westbrook was an awful trade and a guy nobody wanted. Their last actual productive star you could argue they fleeced someone on was gasol 14 years ago. Again, I like your out of the box thinking sometime but this doesn’t make sense for about 8 different reasons.