Author Topic: Celtics (3-3) at Heat (3-3) ECF Game #7 5/29/22  (Read 49760 times)

Re: Celtics (3-3) at Heat (3-3) ECF Game #7 5/29/22
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2022, 11:30:22 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
Is there a way to make a tweet show up instead of just a link?

Not sure tbh. I usually post the link then copy + paste the text and put it here in quotes

C’s are 11-0 with Scott Foster this season, Miami is something like 1-9. But also Foster was on Game 4 this series and I noticed he let them play. If he lets them play tonight, advantage C’s

Sounds crazy but honestly Zarba might be even worse than Foster now lol. That dude has become atrocious this year

Where are you getting the 11-0 record with Scott Foster?  Not saying you’re wrong.  Just seems crazy

Yeah I was surprised too. But it's on Twitter. Here's one example:

https://twitter.com/FlBasedmanMia/status/1530921161554546690

Foster did try his best to have the C's lose Game 4 of the Nets series lol

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/2022_referees.html

This is all I could find.  That twitter post sounds like a paranoid Heat fan

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2022, 11:35:49 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Not sure tbh. I usually post the link then copy + paste the text and put it here in quotes

C’s are 11-0 with Scott Foster this season, Miami is something like 1-9. But also Foster was on Game 4 this series and I noticed he let them play. If he lets them play tonight, advantage C’s

Sounds crazy but honestly Zarba might be even worse than Foster now lol. That dude has become atrocious this year

Where are you getting the 11-0 record with Scott Foster?  Not saying you’re wrong.  Just seems crazy

TP

I did not know basketball-reference tracked referees. What a fun new way to exercise my paranoia.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2022, 11:43:20 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
This is it.  Game 7.  A (...nother) shot to make the finals.

Jimmy Butler showed how to be a star in a big game after really doing nothing for two games.  I can't explain the change.  Does anyone know which Jimmy Butler is going to show up tonight?  We better be prepared for 47 point Jimmy Butler and figure out how to not let that happen again.

I keep hearing on the local and national media that the Celtics are the better team.  That the Celtics have more talent.  I don't know if that is true.  It is true when Jimmy Butler goes 4-18 and scores 13 points but it sure wasn't true in a game where Butler put up 47 points.  He made the Heat a better team than the Celtics, at least on that night.

The Celtics missed shots and squandered opportunities in Game 6 for sure, had a lead in the 4th, even with Butler going off.  But our bottom line stats were not all that different from Game 5; 46% FG% / 30% 3P% / 15 TO in Game 5 vs. 44% FG% / 33% 3P% / 17 TO in Game 6.  Our box score in Game 4 was even worse.  I didn't think we defended any worse.  Miami just hit more shots, some of them kind of lucky, certainly not shots they hit every game.

So I guess my bottom line is that even with Butler going off and the Celtics not really hitting all the shots they should hit, we had a lead in the 4th and a legitimate chance to win Game 6.  There is never anything certain in any Game 7.  The Celtics clearly can and probably even should win, but they have to dig a little deeper than they did in Game 6.  Easier said than done.  How does the magnitude of this moment not affect our young players?  What can you say to them or scheme for them to help?  I don't think there is anything.  They will either rise to the moment (as they have done in several cases already this playoff) or they won't and we will be back to the "Tatum and Brown can't play together", "You can't win a title if Tatum is your best player", "Marcus Smart is not a PG", and of course "we need more shooters".

And I don't think who the refs are matters.  There are going to be some close calls at key moments, there always are, it doesn't matter what crew it is.  I suspect they will lean more towards "let them play" but I actually think that favors Miami.  I think they rely more on borderline moving picks and bully ball than we do.  We have to expect this and play through it.  Adjust in real time to how the refs are calling the game.

Seize the Day Celtics!!!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 12:02:40 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2022, 11:51:45 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Let's GO Celts! This may be Al's last chance at a ring. This is how you start your legacy J's. No more careless turnovers, no more missing KEY free throws. Take good shots make or miss at least no bad end of shot contested 28 footers. Get a layup if it's there. No stupid fouls Grant. JT stay under control and don't talk to refs. JB don't dribble into 3players. Let's GO!

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2022, 12:22:23 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
This is it.  Game 7.  A (...nother) shot to make the finals.

Jimmy Butler showed how to be a star in a big game after really doing nothing for two games.  I can't explain the change.  Does anyone know which Jimmy Butler is going to show up tonight?  We better be prepared for 47 point Jimmy Butler and figure out how to not let that happen again.

I keep hearing on the local and national media that the Celtics are the better team.  That the Celtics have more talent.  I don't know if that is true.  It is true when Jimmy Butler goes 4-18 and scores 13 points but it sure wasn't true in a game where Butler put up 47 points.  He made the Heat a better team than the Celtics, at least on that night.

The Celtics missed shots and squandered opportunities in Game 6 for sure, had a lead in the 4th, even with Butler going off.  But our bottom line stats were not all that different from Game 5; 46% FG% / 30% 3P% / 15 TO in Game 5 vs. 44% FG% / 33% 3P% / 17 TO in Game 6.  Our box score in Game 4 was even worse.  I didn't think we defended any worse.  Miami just hit more shots, some of them kind of lucky, certainly not shots they hit every game.

So I guess my bottom line is that even with Butler going off and the Celtics not really hitting all the shots they should hit, we had a lead in the 4th and a legitimate chance to win Game 6.  There is never anything certain in any Game 7.  The Celtics clearly can and probably even should win, but they have to dig a little deeper than they did in Game 6.  Easier said than done.  How does the magnitude of this moment not affect our young players?  What can you say to them or scheme for them to help?  I don't think there is anything.  They will either rise to the moment (as they have done in several cases already this playoff) or they won't and we will be back to the "Tatum and Brown can't play together", "You can't win a title if Tatum is your best player", "Marcus Smart is not a PG", and of course "we need more shooters".

And I don't think who the refs are matters.  There are going to be some close calls at key moments, there always are, it doesn't matter what crew it is.  I suspect they will lean more towards "let them play" but I actually think that favors Miami.  I think they rely more on borderline moving picks and bully ball than we do.  We have to expect this and play through it.  Adjust in real time to how the refs are calling the game.

Seize the Day Celtics!!!

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2022, 12:25:58 PM »

Offline CBS_Take a Report

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
I’ve had butterflies since I woke up. Let’s go guys. This improbable season needs to keep going.

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2022, 12:52:21 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I knew we'd get Scott Foster lol. He typically favors the home team in a closeout game  :'(

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2022, 12:54:46 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
Worth repeating, this can't happen again!

Smart had more total shots (4/15) and 3s (1/9) than the Jays and fewer assists than the Jays.  His defense was not up to his DPOY status.  He should have been removed early in the 4th.

The Jays need to shoot more in the 4th quarter if the game is in jeopardy.  Both took only one shot.  Pitiful!

The Celtics two best 3pt shooters (Grant and Payton) took a total of one 3pt shot for the whole game. Grant shoots best from the corner (Ime please set plays for him). Also, Payton should play more than 3:34 min even if he is being targeted by the Heat.  Ime needs to figure out how to hide him if necessary (he should not be guarding Butler, ever). 

I believe the Celtics are a much better team than the Heat.  Ime needs to have his players mentally and physically in position to show their skills.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2022, 01:09:38 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1551
well men

either we pull off the anomaly miracle and win 3 on the road (which we shoulda never ever been in this spot but we suck so bad at home it manifested itself)

or spoelstra stays undefeated at home in game 7.

he is 4-2 in game sevens

4-0 at home

LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2022, 01:14:49 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
well men

either we pull off the anomaly miracle and win 3 on the road (which we shoulda never ever been in this spot but we suck so bad at home it manifested itself)

he is 4-2 in game sevens

4-0 at home

Budenholzer was undefeated in closeout games (8-0) and the C's won not one, but two of them last series. Just trying to keep the vibes positive  :)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2022, 01:15:37 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Interesting. I stand corrected then, but then why are so many on Twitter saying the C's are undefeated with him this season? It's not just that account but a bunch of others too. But idk

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2022, 01:22:08 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
well men

he is 4-2 in game sevens

4-0 at home

Budenholzer was undefeated in closeout games (8-0) and the C's won not one, but two of them last series. Just trying to keep the vibes positive  :)

thank you! all rational perspectives are welcome. exactly why i said IDK what to think with our bi polar team. was confident last game and that was shattered.  maybe i will predict gloom and doom as a reverse jinx? LOL.  i was being facetious when i said bucks in 5 or 6 after game 3 but hey it worked. will it work again?   ;)
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2022, 01:24:00 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
well men

he is 4-2 in game sevens

4-0 at home

thank you! all rational perspectives are welcome. exactly why i said IDK what to think with our bi polar team. was confident last game and that was shattered.  maybe i will predict gloom and doom as a reverse jinx? LOL.  i was being facetious when i said bucks in 5 or 6 after game 3 but hey it worked. will it work again?   ;)

Hope so!

Also not to sound like I'm discounting Spo or his Game 7 record, but 3 of those 4 wins were with Lebron/Wade on the team. That's kind of a big deal too. Granted, Butler is fantastic and had that Game 6 too, but I feel a bit more confident about this Game 7 than I did in 2018 simply because Lebron isn't on the other side.

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2022, 01:29:40 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
well men

he is 4-2 in game sevens

4-0 at home

Hope so!

Also not to sound like I'm discounting Spo or his Game 7 record, but 3 of those 4 wins were with Lebron/Wade on the team. That's kind of a big deal too. Granted, Butler is fantastic and had that Game 6 too, but I feel a bit more confident about this Game 7 than I did in 2018 simply because Lebron isn't on the other side.

good points. i was wondering that as well.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2022, 01:58:28 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
time to break this bad boy out tonight. collecting too much dust in closet.
desperate times call for desperate measures

LET'S GO CELTICS!