Author Topic: Celtics (0-0) at Heat (0-0) ECF Game #1 5/17/22  (Read 41914 times)

Re: Celtics (0-0) at Heat (0-0) ECF Game #1 5/17/22
« Reply #1320 on: May 18, 2022, 01:26:52 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Adebayo mocking Jaylen Brown after the game: "I feel like our energy shifted."

https://twitter.com/keithsmithnba/status/1526775854172364800?s=21&t=Jo6gwgzchmC5WrHnk8v5Zw

Heat are clowning the C’s. Butler was mugging the whole 4th and after Nesmith’s block on Dipo, Butler drew the foul on him and pretty much gave him a mocking look too like “you really think you can guard me?”

Heat have all the makings of a lesser talented team that will bully you mentally and that’s how they beat you. I do think C’s have the mental fortitude this year to bounce back. Maybe not in years prior but I’m a big believer that the team has taken the next step

Another reason we need Smart back. And Horford.  Both are imposing figures, and Smart really knows how to get under a bullys skin.

I bet we play much better and Butler is the one losing his cool next time

« Reply #1321 on: May 18, 2022, 03:03:12 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Apologies in advance because I’m sure it’s been discussed but I can’t find where…. 
What was going on between Ime and Grant?   Right after Grant dove for a ball and fouled - not sure who, maybe Bam or Butler sending them to the line - 3rd period I think. Grant was pretty angry — seemed like he was taking exception to what Ime was saying and it seemed to last a while. No doubt fatigue and frustration spilling over, but I wonder if it was addressed post-game.

« Reply #1322 on: May 18, 2022, 04:27:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Apologies in advance because I’m sure it’s been discussed but I can’t find where…. 
What was going on between Ime and Grant?   Right after Grant dove for a ball and fouled - not sure who, maybe Bam or Butler sending them to the line - 3rd period I think. Grant was pretty angry — seemed like he was taking exception to what Ime was saying and it seemed to last a while. No doubt fatigue and frustration spilling over, but I wonder if it was addressed post-game.
It was most likely addressed where it needed to be addressed....behind closed doors. Also, it's not the first time a player got loud and animated with Udoka. I have seen Smart, Brown and Tatum get kinda like that with Ime this year. Heat of the moment, I think Udoka is okay with players talking passionately, as long as it doesn't create issues that translate to poor play.

« Reply #1323 on: May 18, 2022, 07:02:22 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
It was most likely addressed where it needed to be addressed....behind closed doors. Also, it's not the first time a player got loud and animated with Udoka. I have seen Smart, Brown and Tatum get kinda like that with Ime this year. Heat of the moment, I think Udoka is okay with players talking passionately, as long as it doesn't create issues that translate to poor play.

Agreed. I also think Udoka really let's them have it during the game which can trigger some of those responses.

« Reply #1324 on: May 18, 2022, 07:36:25 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Here is a list of things that bother me about the game:

1. Coach Udoka, rightfully so, lost his cool and showed signs of frustration. Admittedly, it was with cause given this teams lack of focus in Q3 but he has been a steady hand and it worried me that when placed in hot water he responded so visibly frustrated.
2. Tatum seemingly gave up on so many possessions. That series of plays where he turns the ball over on two offensive trips down the floor were so maddening.
3. Grant Williams needs to know his role. Yes we need leaders who are vocal but don’t ever talk back to coach. Ever. And I saw that happen where he faced up on Udoka when Ime was giving him constructive criticism.

I still think we win this series. In fact I think we win the next 4 quite honestly. I think the Heat are overmatched by us: last night obviously didn’t reflect that. But we were without Smart and Horford and we lost our composure. I’m most frustrated that we could’ve really set a tone and took game 1. But I think this team grows from this loss. Brick by brick…

I'm surprised he doesn't lose his cool more often given the amount of times in the playoffs we had a lead a then lost it due to idiot ball.

Yeah I'd be angry too if I keep seeing my team play idiot ball. Sometimes, need to scream and yell at his guys to get the point across and get it in their heads.

I agree.  I like that Udoka has more of a hard edge than Brad.  Sometimes guys need to be chewed out.
It's okay to scream and yell as long as it's few and far between. You can lose a team if you are just a constant yeller. Make the yelling mean something and that way it doesn't become white noise.

I wonder what's worse. Stan Vangundy/Thibs screaming every possession down the floor, or Doc whining.

« Reply #1325 on: May 18, 2022, 08:06:15 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Always better to have fire than not.

« Reply #1326 on: May 18, 2022, 09:14:14 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Adebayo mocking Jaylen Brown after the game: "I feel like our energy shifted."

https://twitter.com/keithsmithnba/status/1526775854172364800?s=21&t=Jo6gwgzchmC5WrHnk8v5Zw

Heat are clowning the C’s. Butler was mugging the whole 4th and after Nesmith’s block on Dipo, Butler drew the foul on him and pretty much gave him a mocking look too like “you really think you can guard me?”

Heat have all the makings of a lesser talented team that will bully you mentally and that’s how they beat you. I do think C’s have the mental fortitude this year to bounce back. Maybe not in years prior but I’m a big believer that the team has taken the next step

God you gotta love Jimmy and that swagger of his.

I disagree.
Yeah, not sure why you "gotta love" the swagger of someone who routinely falls short and whose offence is heavily reliant upon foul-baiting.

He is the exact same as James Harden, yet gets away with it because he plays tough defence I suppose.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1327 on: May 18, 2022, 09:32:02 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
The turnovers, how they missed shots, struggled to get back in transition, and prolonged cold streak were signs of a tired team. The lack of depth clearly affected the team in the second half.

This team has proven its quality and resilience, in-game and in-series. The rest to Smart and Horford will prove to be a blessing in disguise. Although, I’d prefer to go back to Boston 2-0 or 1-1, even 0-2 isn’t worrisome against this Heat team.

With the exception of Butler, the Heat struggled to get anything except contested jump shots on the run. Butler played a great game, we’ll see how good he is when he has to carry the offense for several games and good luck getting Vincent to repeat his performance.