Author Topic: Our future draft picks  (Read 5370 times)

Re: Our future draft picks
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2022, 12:16:39 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm thinking we should pretty much assume that Brad is going to use these picks to seek established talent rather than bring in prospects.  His moves so far have shown that he doesn't value the draft at all.

That's definitely going to bite the Celts down the line unless they make moves to acquire second rounders / late 1sts on draft night and find some diamonds in the rough.

In the short term, though, I can kind of see the logic if Brad is thinking "Well, if Tatum and Brown leave then I'm out of a job anyway, and anybody I select in the draft is not going to improve the team quick enough to help keep Tatum and Brown invested in being here."

One concern I would have is that Brad's low valuation of the draft might say something about whether Brad sees his current position as a long term project or something he's doing "for now" with an eye toward transitioning to something else within a few years.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2022, 12:37:35 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I don't mind trading picks for players that help now, so long as the players we get are not just rentals.  We should be looking for those types of deals to build around the Jays now.  Derrick White fits that.  I feel we did overpay some for him but to the 2022 pick specifically, I am fine with including that in this case.  White appears as though he will be a plus this season and then we have him for 3 more seasons.  We can bring in Begarin or Madar if we want (and one of them is ready) to replace the pick.

Stevens gave up a pick to get out from under Kemba and he gave up a pick (maybe a swap also) to get White.  I am not so sure that I would go as far as saying that he doesn't value draft picks.  So far, he has not done anything that I view as sacrificing the future or anything like that.  Horford has been surprisingly useful and the cost savings have opened up a lot of possibilities.  And White looks like a keeper who is going to impact the team for up to 4 seasons.

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2022, 12:38:47 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'm thinking we should pretty much assume that Brad is going to use these picks to seek established talent rather than bring in prospects.  His moves so far have shown that he doesn't value the draft at all.

That's definitely going to bite the Celts down the line unless they make moves to acquire second rounders / late 1sts on draft night and find some diamonds in the rough.

In the short term, though, I can kind of see the logic if Brad is thinking "Well, if Tatum and Brown leave then I'm out of a job anyway, and anybody I select in the draft is not going to improve the team quick enough to help keep Tatum and Brown invested in being here."

One concern I would have is that Brad's low valuation of the draft might say something about whether Brad sees his current position as a long term project or something he's doing "for now" with an eye toward transitioning to something else within a few years.
you mean like coaching SAS in a few years where he'll have a nice pick swap with the C's to look forward to?   ;)

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2022, 01:24:37 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Yes, of course. He's a brand-new GM with zero experience. I would have been more surprised if, after being kicked upstairs (and that's what Wyc really did since he didn't want to hire someone else and have to pay Brad for doing nothing) Brad said, "Naw this ain't working, I'm going to blow this thing up."  In fact, it's not unreasonable to guess that he is operating under Wyc's orders to try to make this thing work.

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2022, 03:22:10 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94

Correction: He may not value the draft at all for this squad at this point in time. If he pulls a Riley and sticks with us for 25+ years, we will surely see decent draft picks along the way.

That said, I知 generally in favor of trading picks outside the lottery for established depth. Frankly, the odds of landing a starter drop dramatically outside the lottery, and a solid rotation man outside the top 20 even further still. But I知 impressed that our scouts recently hit on the Williams Bros., so perhaps it is better to keep seeing how many more such hits we can make the next 3-4 years? Or perhaps it痴 best to make draft day deals where we flip depth and the pick for better depth? I知 certainly open to dealing our 2023 pick, 2022 2nd and Nesmith for better depth than Nesmith, such as someone like Dort (my binky these days). We池e in a good position either way.