Author Topic: RIP Jerry Remy  (Read 6572 times)

RIP Jerry Remy
« on: October 31, 2021, 01:07:30 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Dead at 68.  As Norm MacDonald would say, he fought his cancer to a draw.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: RIP Jerry Remy
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 01:17:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Kinda knew this was coming after seeing him throw out that 1st pitch during the ALCS. He looked like his passing was very close.

Rest in peace, Jerry. You will always be a Boston broadcasting legend, standing right along other legends like Johnny Most, Gil Santos, John Kusick, Fred Pierson, Mike Gorman, Tommy Heinsohn, Ken Coleman and Joe Castiglione.

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 01:50:34 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
Controversial figure. Remy was a fan favorite, yet his biggest legacy may be his son's impact on society.

I hope that the area can move forward and heal from a long series of awful events.

I hope that his other two children can tow the line and do better.

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 02:03:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Controversial figure. Remy was a fan favorite, yet his biggest legacy may be his son's impact on society.

I hope that the area can move forward and heal from a long series of awful events.

This, IMO, is not a good take. Remy's son's actions are not those of Remy and should not reflect poorly on Remy or his legacy.

I have done stuff I am not proud of but that reflects poorly on me, not my parents. I made those decisions and acted upon them, not my parents.

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 02:11:47 PM »

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

This, IMO, is not a good take. Remy's son's actions are not those of Remy and should not reflect poorly on Remy or his legacy.

I have done stuff I am not proud of but that reflects poorly on me, not my parents. I made those decisions and acted upon them, not my parents.

I also have done stuff that I'm not proud of. I would never compare any of those things to a violent murder.

I think you need to look at the long history of violence and what the family did/didn't do each time. His kid was enabled and treated with leniency throughout a tough stretch of abusing people, especially women.

Did Jerry Remy commit these crimes? No. Did he enable them? Yes.

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2021, 02:20:27 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I also have done stuff that I'm not proud of. I would never compare any of those things to a violent murder.

I think you need to look at the long history of violence and what the family did/didn't do each time. His kid was enabled and treated with leniency throughout a tough stretch of abusing people, especially women.

That’s an understandable take, but I think it’s a hard one to follow through on.  Many parents are going to provide support to their kids even when they commit crimes and hurt others.  A parent’s love is unconditional, even if it’s attached to feelings of profound disappointment or guilt.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2021, 02:34:04 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
RIP ,,, my dad is battling stage 4..cancer sucks
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2021, 02:42:07 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
RIP ,,, my dad is battling stage 4..cancer sucks

It sure does.  My prayers go out to you and your dad.

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2021, 03:10:25 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

That’s an understandable take, but I think it’s a hard one to follow through on.  Many parents are going to provide support to their kids even when they commit crimes and hurt others.  A parent’s love is unconditional, even if it’s attached to feelings of profound disappointment or guilt.
Jared Remy was a full-blown monster. He assaulted dozens of people and contributed to the death of a young man many years before he murdered his girlfriend.

Jerry used his status and wealth to leverage his son out of trouble. He knew Jared was a threat to all the women he had beaten but he bailed him out anyways. Jared never faced any accountability, knowing his family would pay his living expenses and legal bills. And after each literal bailout Jared went right back to abusing women.

That will deservedly be part of Jerry's legacy now. His two other children have also been arrested for assault before. There is something deeply wrong in that family.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/03/22/remy/xFRaOQqrnZ1S1pfLa2eKgK/story.html

One little snippet from just a single assault:

Tiffany Guyette ... said Remy had been abusing her since she got pregnant by him at 15, four years earlier. Since then, Guyette said, he had tried to push her from a moving car while she was pregnant, waited for her in the dark with a baseball bat, and repeatedly paged her with the number 187, street slang for murder.

For all that, however, she had not spoken against him in court before, believing his promises that he would change, she said.

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2021, 03:33:42 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Kinda knew this was coming after seeing him throw out that 1st pitch during the ALCS. He looked like his passing was very close.

Rest in peace, Jerry. You will always be a Boston broadcasting legend, standing right along other legends like Johnny Most, Gil Santos, John Kusick, Fred Pierson, Mike Gorman, Tommy Heinsohn, Ken Coleman and Joe Castiglione.

Well said, Nick. How I miss the days of Don and Rem-Dog. Remy was a great broadcaster, and he seemed like a very nice man. He will be missed.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2021, 03:49:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Jared Remy was a full-blown monster. He assaulted dozens of people and contributed to the death of a young man many years before he murdered his girlfriend.

Jerry used his status and wealth to leverage his son out of trouble. He knew Jared was a threat to all the women he had beaten but he bailed him out anyways. Jared never faced any accountability, knowing his family would pay his living expenses and legal bills. And after each literal bailout Jared went right back to abusing women.

That will deservedly be part of Jerry's legacy now. His two other children have also been arrested for assault before. There is something deeply wrong in that family.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/03/22/remy/xFRaOQqrnZ1S1pfLa2eKgK/story.html

Tiffany Guyette ... said Remy had been abusing her since she got pregnant by him at 15, four years earlier. Since then, Guyette said, he had tried to push her from a moving car while she was pregnant, waited for her in the dark with a baseball bat, and repeatedly paged her with the number 187, street slang for murder.

For all that, however, she had not spoken against him in court before, believing his promises that he would change, she said.

Perhaps we should rely on judges, police, prosecutors and witnesses to protect society.  Parents are rarely objective.  If we don’t “blame victims” because of the psychology behind it, I don’t see how we blame parents.  They paid for his counseling and psychiatric treatment.  They tried to keep him stable and helped find him employment.  Those are good traits, not bad ones.

I see hundreds of these cases.  Cutting your kid off and leaving them in jail isn’t a panacea.  And, I’m pretty sure that he could have raised the $500 bail on his own anyway.

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2021, 10:12:03 AM »

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Perhaps we should rely on judges, police, prosecutors and witnesses to protect society.  Parents are rarely objective.  If we don’t “blame victims” because of the psychology behind it, I don’t see how we blame parents.  They paid for his counseling and psychiatric treatment.  They tried to keep him stable and helped find him employment.  Those are good traits, not bad ones.

I see hundreds of these cases.  Cutting your kid off and leaving them in jail isn’t a panacea.  And, I’m pretty sure that he could have raised the $500 bail on his own anyway.

I love the Red Sox, but I don't think Remy should be remembered fondly. I don't think that he is a person that should be dragged through the mud, but I also don't think we should be extolling his contributions. His family has demonstrated enough anger and aggression to hurt his community.

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2021, 10:14:29 AM »

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

I'm going to pull from the Newt Gingrich playbook: it starts at home. With so many away games, I'm not sure Jerry had an active role there.

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2021, 01:18:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I'm going to pull from the Newt Gingrich playbook: it starts at home. With so many away games, I'm not sure Jerry had an active role there.
You're going to pull from the moral playbook of a guy who said it starts at home but is twice divorced because he cheated on both wives, one while actively trying to impeach a President for cheating on his wife, and is thrice married. Seems a strange guy to take "it starts at home" advice from.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 02:11:20 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2021, 01:42:41 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1370
RIP Jerry. Whatever his parental failings, I will miss his voice on the Sox broadcasts. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D