Author Topic: 21-22 College Football Thread  (Read 36115 times)

Re: 21-22 College Football Thread
« Reply #225 on: June 30, 2022, 02:29:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
May happen for 2024 season which would trump OU and UT move to SEC.

Not sure what the structure would look like, but I've been a fan of the 4-Team pod method for 16 team conferences

If they did that, I'd make the pods as follows

Pod 1 - PSU, MSU, MD, RUT
Pod 2 - OSU, UM, IND, PUR
Pod 3 - UW, IA, IL, NW
Pod 4 - USC, UCLA, MIN, NEB

The pods would be lined up with a different pod for 2 years forming two 8 team divisions (with a conference championship).  Every team would have a rival in every pod that they'd play every year, which would make up a 9-game conference schedule

So for the first two years

You'd have a division of Pod 1 and 2 and a division of Pod 3 and 4.  Then the next 2 years it would be Pod 1 and 3 and Pod 2 and 4, and the final 2 years Pod 1 and 4 and Pod 2 and 3.  You repeat the cycle every 6 years.  And by having a set rival in every pod, you'd be able to keep rivalries like Minnesota/Wisconsin, Michigan/Michigan St., Ohio State/Penn State, Iowa/Nebraska, etc. for teams in different pods, and potentially create new ones.  By rotating the pods, every team will play at every stadium at least once every 6 years and will play every team in the conference at least twice during that same 6 year period. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #226 on: June 30, 2022, 04:14:01 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Lots of rumblings that both the Big 10 and SEC will move to 20 teams and basically split off from the NCAA to form their own league (at least for football).

That would make Oregon, Utah, Washington, Colorado, Virginia, and North Carolina very much in play for the Big 10 as they are all AAU colleges (which the Big Ten generally requires), are markets the conference doesn't cover, and are big public universities that are the prime school in their state.  Obviously Notre Dame would also be in play though they are none of those things (though do get a national audience). 

SEC would be a prime spot for Clemson, Florida State, Pittsburgh (while in the AAU, they don't provide a market to the Big 10, but do for the SEC), West Virginia, Virginia Tech, and would certainly be in the mix for UNC and ND

« Reply #227 on: June 30, 2022, 04:53:32 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Lots of rumblings that both the Big 10 and SEC will move to 20 teams and basically split off from the NCAA to form their own league (at least for football).

That would make Oregon, Utah, Washington, Colorado, Virginia, and North Carolina very much in play for the Big 10 as they are all AAU colleges (which the Big Ten generally requires), are markets the conference doesn't cover, and are big public universities that are the prime school in their state.  Obviously Notre Dame would also be in play though they are none of those things (though do get a national audience). 

SEC would be a prime spot for Clemson, Florida State, Pittsburgh (while in the AAU, they don't provide a market to the Big 10, but do for the SEC), West Virginia, Virginia Tech, and would certainly be in the mix for UNC and ND
Regardless of how teams are split, the top college football teams should split off and govern themselves.  The NCAA can still handle the lesser football teams and all the other college sports. 

« Reply #228 on: June 30, 2022, 05:14:51 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Not sure what the structure would look like, but I've been a fan of the 4-Team pod method for 16 team conferences

Pod 3 - UW, IA, IL, NW

The pods would be lined up with a different pod for 2 years forming two 8 team divisions (with a conference championship).  Every team would have a rival in every pod that they'd play every year, which would make up a 9-game conference schedule

You'd have a division of Pod 1 and 2 and a division of Pod 3 and 4.  Then the next 2 years it would be Pod 1 and 3 and Pod 2 and 4, and the final 2 years Pod 1 and 4 and Pod 2 and 3.  You repeat the cycle every 6 years.  And by having a set rival in every pod, you'd be able to keep rivalries like Minnesota/Wisconsin, Michigan/Michigan St., Ohio State/Penn State, Iowa/Nebraska, etc. for teams in different pods, and potentially create new ones.  By rotating the pods, every team will play at every stadium at least once every 6 years and will play every team in the conference at least twice during that same 6 year period.

Do you get a reward for winning your pod? Do you play the teams in your pod every year. For football, penn state would be in the best situation of this is the case as maryland and Indiana are traditional bottom feeders and Michigan state is solid but very rarely great.

« Reply #229 on: June 30, 2022, 05:34:31 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Pod 3 - UW, IA, IL, NW

Do you get a reward for winning your pod? Do you play the teams in your pod every year. For football, penn state would be in the best situation of this is the case as maryland and Indiana are traditional bottom feeders and Michigan state is solid but very rarely great.
the 2 pods would be a division with the winner facing the winner of the other 2 pods in the conference championship.  Since I'm a Buckeye fan let's use them.

Season 1 pod 1 and 2 are a division. So Ohio State being in pod 2 would play the rest of pod 2, i.e Michigan, Indiana, and Purdue and then would play pod 1 i.e Penn State, Michigan State, Maryland, and Rutgers.  That is 7 conference games.  They would then play their "rival" from pod 3 and pod 4. Let's say that is Northwestern and Southern California.  That is their conference schedule.  They'd have a rival from pod 1 (Penn State) as well that they'd play when not paired with pod 1.

It would just be a floating division system to ensure all teams play all other teams on regular basis and you'd have 6 teams that you would play every year (the rest of your pod and your 3 rivals).

« Reply #230 on: June 30, 2022, 09:43:51 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
The pod concept works at 20 teams as well with 4, 5-team pods.  You would just eliminate the rivals in that scenario and would play 9 conference games each year i.e. your pod and the pod you are paired with. 

If I had to guess, I think they will eventually add Oregon, Washington, Colorado, and North Carolina which would make the pods something like this

Pod 1 - NC, PSU, MD, RUT, MSU
Pod 2 - OSU, UM, PUR, IND, ILL
Pod 3 - WIS, NEB, MIN, IA, NW
Pod 4 - USC, UCLA, COL, WAS, ORE

I think they'd go with those 4 in part because I think ND would likely go SEC and I don't see why the Big Ten would pick Utah or Stanford given the various markets at play.  UNC is also potentially not going to go, but I think they'd see the writing on the wall and they are much more a Big 10 school than a SEC school.

If that happens, the SEC would also add 4 teams, probably ND, FSU, Clemson, and Miami (at least those would be the most likely 4).

That is basically every major football team of the last 50 years, so they'd just go out on their own and do their own thing.  Still the potential they go even bigger and play basically a NFL style system with the Big Ten and SEC basically being the AFC and NFC and then each having 24 (4x6 or 6x4), 27 (3x9), or 32 (4x8) teams in each.  Plenty of schools could fill in the gaps from the remaining 3 bigger conferences.

Also, heard that the Big Ten's next tv deal is going to be more than a billion dollars, which is why USC and UCLA didn't give a second thought about joining.  The money is just insane.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 09:51:30 PM by Moranis »

« Reply #231 on: July 01, 2022, 10:56:47 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Following up more on the money angle, the Big Ten now has firm control of the 4 largest media markets (at least from college football) in the country i.e. NY, LA, Chicago, and Philly.  They get a lot closer to #6 San Fran, and also have the largest presence in DC (9).  The SEC has Dallas (5 - along with the Big 12), Atlanta (7 - though ACC has some of that), and Houston (8 - though Big 12 still has that as well).  Boston at 10 is the only top 10 market that really isn't touched by the Big 10 or SEC.  The next 5 in order are Phoenix, Seattle, Tampa, Minnesota, and Detroit.  So the Big Ten has the latter 2, while the SEC only has Tampa (which it splits some with the ACC).  The next 5 are Denver, Orlando, Miami, Cleveland, and Sacramento.  So the SEC with 1 (Orlando and a bit of Miami) and the Big Ten with 1.

So if you look at the landscape, the Big Ten is going to dominate the largest television markets going forward and if they add Washington (Seattle) and Colorado (Denver) they will pick up 2 more. 

As with all things college football, money is the driving factor and securing the 2nd largest television market, is a major get money-wise for the Big Ten.

« Reply #232 on: July 05, 2022, 03:22:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Big 12 is apparently in "deep" discussions to potentially add up to 6 Pac 12 schools i.e. Arizona, ASU, Colorado, Oregon, Utah, and Washington.  If all 6 leave that would mean Cal, Oregon St., Washington St., and Stanford would be without a conference. 

Seems strange the Big 12 would skip both the northern California schools and go for the much further away Oregon and/or Washington. 

They may ultimately just go for the geographic teams making the most sense i.e. ASU, AU, Utah, and Col, and leave behind Oregon and Washington (at least for the moment). 

Lots of strange days ahead for the non-power 2.

« Reply #233 on: July 05, 2022, 05:01:04 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Big 12 is apparently in "deep" discussions to potentially add up to 6 Pac 12 schools i.e. Arizona, ASU, Colorado, Oregon, Utah, and Washington.  If all 6 leave that would mean Cal, Oregon St., Washington St., and Stanford would be without a conference. 

Seems strange the Big 12 would skip both the northern California schools and go for the much further away Oregon and/or Washington. 

They may ultimately just go for the geographic teams making the most sense i.e. ASU, AU, Utah, and Col, and leave behind Oregon and Washington (at least for the moment). 

They won't want to give up that Nike money.  Oregon seems like it would be a big target.  It especially makes sense if they want to be a nationwide conference.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #234 on: July 06, 2022, 01:42:23 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

They won't want to give up that Nike money.  Oregon seems like it would be a big target.  It especially makes sense if they want to be a nationwide conference.
Depends if they have to take Oregon St. because no one wants that OSU. 

I do think we are ultimately going to see 54 or 60 teams break off and form 2 "leagues" and do their own thing.  The "academic" schools will join the Big Ten and the other major football powers will join the SEC. 

Something like this I think: 

16 Big Ten plus: Stanford, Cal, Oregon, Washington, Utah, Colorado, Notre Dame, North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia Tech, and Duke (if 27) and probably Pittsburgh, Boston College, and Kansas (if 30)

16 SEC plus: Clemson, Miami, Florida St., Virginia Tech, Syracuse, Louisville, NC St., Oklahoma St., West Virginia, and 2 of Baylor, Iowa St., and Texas Tech (1f 27) and the remaining + Arizona and Arizona St. (if 30)

Something like that. 

They'd break off into NFL style conferences with 3 divisions of 9 or 10 teams, play their division and then have 8 team playoffs in each conference, with the two winners playing in the National Championship.  For the rest of the sports, they would basically have 3 conferences with 3 conference championships.

So looking at the Big Ten the 3 divisions would be something like (with 30 teams)

West - USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal, Oregon, Washington, Utah, Colorado, Nebraska, Kansas
East - PSU, Maryland, Rutgers, Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, UNC, Duke, Virginia, Pittsburgh, Boston College
Midwest - Ohio St., Michigan, Michigan St., Purdue, Indiana, Northwestern, Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota

That seems like a pretty good mix.  Notre Dame a bit out of place geographically, but I think the East needs another long time power with Penn State, and this model keeps the original Big Ten members in tact in the same division. 

Those 60 teams does leave out some long time power 5 members like Oregon State, Washington St., Kansas St., Wake Forest, but them the breaks as they say. 

« Reply #235 on: September 02, 2022, 03:58:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Big Ten is still deciding if they are just going to scrap divisions or do some sort of pod system when UCLA and USC join.

So if they go with pods, it would probably be something like this

1 - Maryland, Rutgers, Penn State, Michigan State
2 - Ohio State, Michigan, Indiana, Purdue
3 - Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa
4- USC, UCLA, Illinois, Northwestern

I put the Illinois teams with the California teams because that kept way more rivalries in tact and it better balanced the pods to have at least 1 traditional power in each pod i.e. PSU - OSU/UM - Neb - USC

Big Ten Rivalry games - Trophy (if one) - times played.

Illinois–Northwestern    Land of Lincoln Trophy   115
Illinois–Ohio State   Illibuck    103
Illinois–Purdue   Purdue Cannon      97
Indiana–Michigan State   Old Brass Spittoon   68
Indiana–Purdue     Old Oaken Bucket   123
Iowa–Minnesota     Floyd of Rosedale      115
Iowa–Nebraska     Heroes Trophy      52
Iowa–Wisconsin     Heartland Trophy   95
Maryland–Penn State         45
Michigan State–Penn State     Land Grant Trophy   36
Michigan–Michigan State     Paul Bunyan Trophy   114
Michigan–Minnesota     Little Brown Jug      104
Michigan-Northwestern   George Jewett Trophy      76
Michigan–Ohio State      117
Minnesota–Nebraska   $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy   62
Minnesota–Penn State   Governor's Victory Bell   15
Minnesota–Wisconsin      Paul Bunyan's Axe   131
Nebraska–Wisconsin        Freedom Trophy      15
Ohio State-Penn State      37
UCLA–USC   Victory Bell   91

Most of those would be pod match-ups and many of the rest could be kept using the 1 rival per every pod concept i.e. Ohio State could have Penn State and Illinois as set rivals and continue those games every year no matter how the pods shake out (and while OSU vs. Wisconsin is not a rivalry game per se, it would make sense to add that as OSU's 3rd rival game).