Author Topic: 21-22 College Football Thread  (Read 36454 times)

Re: 21-22 College Football Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2021, 04:20:23 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Of course Texas chokes it away and OU remains unbeaten
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2021, 11:59:38 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
DOWN GOES ALABAMA.

What a major game changing upset in college football.

Guess I'm a Georgia fan the rest of the way because a 2 loss non-conference champion Alabama isn't getting in over unbeaten Cincinnati.

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2021, 04:01:53 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
DOWN GOES ALABAMA.

What a major game changing upset in college football.

Guess I'm a Georgia fan the rest of the way because a 2 loss non-conference champion Alabama isn't getting in over unbeaten Cincinnati.
Lots of great college games that came down to the wire.  Personally I hope Cincinnati face plants but its hard to see who they lose to.  Can't stand all that G5 whining. 

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2021, 09:36:53 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
ESPN's 2 "experts" projected Cincinnati into the playoff along with Georgia, Iowa, and Oklahoma.

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2021, 10:51:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If a one loss Bama team beats an undefeated Georgia team in a close SEC Championship game, both teams make the playoffs. Book it.

And that would probably mean an undefeated Cincy team is on the outside looking in.

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2021, 10:57:03 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
If a one loss Bama team beats an undefeated Georgia team in a close SEC Championship game, both teams make the playoffs. Book it.

And that would probably mean an undefeated Cincy team is on the outside looking in.
My initial premise was Bama, Georgia, and Big Ten champ make it in.  It was that 4th seed that was left up in the air in my mind.  The Bama loss though definitely could change how it plays out.  I think Iowa beating Penn State also helped the Bearcats out because a PSU team that was unbeaten and lost a close game to Iowa in the Big Ten championship would have also had a shot to make it in.

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2021, 12:27:22 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

My initial premise was Bama, Georgia, and Big Ten champ make it in.  It was that 4th seed that was left up in the air in my mind.  The Bama loss though definitely could change how it plays out.  I think Iowa beating Penn State also helped the Bearcats out because a PSU team that was unbeaten and lost a close game to Iowa in the Big Ten championship would have also had a shot to make it in.
Strength of schedule matters a lot in playoff decisions. The Bearcats SOS is far worse than other teams vying for the playoffs like Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, Iowa, Notre Dame, Michigan, Penn St. and Oklahoma St.

I think there is a decent chance Cincinnati gets in if undefeated and there is some unexpected losses elsewhere. If they lose a game, forget it though, no playoffs for them

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2021, 09:47:52 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I think SEC is going to end up with two schools.  I think Bama beats an undefeated GA in the SEC Championship.  I'd still give Georgia a slot in that scenario.  I think you can throw out the ACC & Pac-12 champions along with Notre Dame.  Wake's not running the table & the committee is not putting a one loss ND over Cincy because of the head to head.  Big Ten should be putting a team in there unless they just start cannibalizing each other here down the stretch.  Oklahoma has looked the most shaky of all the contenders. I think that's the lynchpin for Cincy to get in.  They look ripe for the picking.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2021, 10:49:45 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I think SEC is going to end up with two schools.  I think Bama beats an undefeated GA in the SEC Championship.  I'd still give Georgia a slot in that scenario.  I think you can throw out the ACC & Pac-12 champions along with Notre Dame.  Wake's not running the table & the committee is not putting a one loss ND over Cincy because of the head to head.  Big Ten should be putting a team in there unless they just start cannibalizing each other here down the stretch.  Oklahoma has looked the most shaky of all the contenders. I think that's the lynchpin for Cincy to get in.  They look ripe for the picking.
If Alabama plays like they did against A&M, Georgia is going to throttle them.  That game may very well have been an anomoly, but if it is more a sign of things to come, Bama has no chance against Georgia and they might not be done losing in the regular season either. 

But yeah if Bama and Georgia don't lose any more and Bama beats Georgia, they are both getting in.  If Georgia runs through and beats Bama (or whomever) then I think the SEC only gets Georgia and not 2 teams.  It would be interesting if a 2 loss team from the SEC West beats unbeaten Georgia.  That would be a tricky spot for the committee, but they probably get both in in that scenario.  Assuming Georgia beats unbeaten Kentucky this weekend and then Florida in the rivalry Halloween weekend (their next 2 games), they will coast into the SEC championship game as the rest of their schedule is very weak.  And I absolutely expect them to beat UK and Fla, though I didn't think A&M had a shot against Bama either.  That is why they play the games though.

It would be a huge upset if Iowa loses a game before the Big Ten championship though they are at Wisconsin in a couple of weeks which is the best shot for them to lose.  Because of that I think it would be hard for Iowa to make the playoffs without winning the Big Ten.  Even if they lose a close game in the Big Ten Championship, given the overall weakness of the Big Ten West, I don't think they'd make it in as a 1 loss non-conference champion, especially with the Big Ten champion almost assuredly making it in.  That may not be the case if Michigan or Michigan St. is unbeaten and then loses a close game to unbeaten Iowa in the Big Ten title game.  UM or MSU would have an outside shot in that scenario because for one of them to be unbeaten that would mean not only a win against the other, but also Ohio State and Penn State. 

Should set up for a very interesting last part of the season this year with so many question marks. 

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2021, 11:54:35 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Iowa vs Wisconsin....two very weak QBs

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2021, 06:27:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Well Iowa forgot it had a game today.  Purdue taking them to the woodshed.  Still enough time, but they will have to play drastically better over the last 10 minutes to have any shot at pulling this one out.

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2021, 10:38:39 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Well CUSA just got raided and will be down to 8 teams as SIX teams are leaving CUSA for the AAC. The 6 schools are UAB, Charlotte, Florida Atlantic, Rice, North Texas, and Texas San Antonio.  That will take the AAC to 14 teams those 6 + SMU, Tulsa, ECU, Temple, Memphis, Navy, South Florida, Tulane.  Presumably they would have divisions look something like Rice, NT, UTSA, SMU, Tulsa, Tulane, UAB and Charlotte, FAU, ECU, Temple, Memphis, Navy, USF.

The 8 remaining CUSA teams are Marshall, Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, Florida International, Old Dominion, UTEP, Louisiana Tech, Southern Miss.

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2021, 07:34:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
CUSA looks done. Southern Miss has basically confirmed it is going to the Sun Belt and it is rumored Marshall and ODU are also going there with James Madison coming up from the FCS to make 4.  That would leave CUSA with 5 so they probably just fold

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2021, 07:37:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Penn St. loses to Illinois in the first 9 overtime game in college football history.  Final score 20-18.  They changed the rules so starting in the 3rd OT, teams just go for a 2 point conversion, but that is still an incredibly low scoring game for a game that lasted that long. 

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2021, 09:45:10 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Strange day/week in college football. There's the team's switching conference thing off the field. Then on the field:

Cincinnati barely squeaked by a terrible Navy team and their quality win over Indiana is looking worse and worse every week as the Hoosiers got crushed again, this time by Ohio State, 54-7.

#14 Coastal Carolina lost to little regarded Appalachian State

#3 Oklahoma needed a huge 4th quarter to sneak past a bad Kansas team

#7 Penn State lost to an average Illinois team in a record 9 overtime game, as Mo already pointed out.

#8 Oklahoma State fell from the unbeaten by losing to a good, not great, Iowa State club.

#10 Oregon almost gave the game away to UCLA in the 4th quarter after being up 17 points in the 4th.

And in the "oh how the mighty have fallen" category, perennial national championship contender, Clemson, lost yet again and is now 4-3.