Author Topic: Confirmed: Messi leaves FC Barcelona  (Read 4198 times)

Confirmed: Messi leaves FC Barcelona
« on: August 05, 2021, 02:57:01 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
The Argentina star will leave the Catalan club after 21 years following negotiations over a new deal fell apart on Thursday.

"Despite FC Barcelona and Lionel Messi having reached an agreement and the clear intention of both parties to sign a new contract today, this cannot happen because of financial and structural obstacles (Spanish Liga regulations).

"As a result of this situation, Messi shall not be staying on at FC Barcelona. Both parties deeply regret that the wishes of the player and the club will ultimately not be fulfilled.

"FC Barcelona wholeheartedly expresses its gratitude to the player for his contribution to the aggrandisement of the club and wishes him all the very best for the future in his personal and professional life."

The 34-year-old was set to accept a deal that would see his weekly wage reduced by 50 per cent.

But the club's financial situation made it impossible for them to register him for the new season without drastically reducing their wage bill.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 03:03:49 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Confirmed: Messi leaves FC Barcelona
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 03:41:56 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
European soccer needs a salary cap.

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 03:44:38 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I don't understand Spain's new salary laws. They seem to be killing their big teams after COVID. Are they being based on bad revenues during COVID? Forcing teams to adapt immediately to those bad revenues rather than writing those losses off over a longer (say 25 year) period.

I do not know enough to know if this is an accurate take on what is going on but that is what it appears to be based on what little I know about it.

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 05:06:21 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Messi..Messi

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2021, 09:00:56 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
And he's signed with PSG

https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-transfers/story/4448455/lionel-messi-barcelona-farewell-news-conference-player-in-tears-as-he-says-goodbye

2 year deal with an option for a 3rd...and after that maybe MLS? He'll be the right age for it by then.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D