Author Topic: Stephen A.-Ohtani  (Read 13893 times)

Stephen A.-Ohtani
« on: July 13, 2021, 01:30:21 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Wonder if Stephen A Smith will get suspended for, I think, is a racist comment against Ohtani? He always talking about racist things so how is this different?
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Re: Stephen A.-Ohtani
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 01:34:59 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Wonder if Stephen A Smith will get suspended for, I think, is a racist comment against Ohtani? He always talking about racist things so how is this different?

It would help the discussing if you gave us the details of the situation...

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 01:39:58 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
A lot of ppl wants him suspended including Keith Olbermann..especially now with all that is happening in the Asian community with the violence on them

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 01:41:48 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders

He said he can’t be the face of baseball because he needs an interpreter among other things

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 01:49:23 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

He said he can’t be the face of baseball because he needs an interpreter among other things

Well, until I read/see more about it, put me in the "couldn't care less" column... other than to point out that he's an hypocrite.

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 01:50:43 PM »

Online greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Greg

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2021, 01:52:28 PM »

Online greg683x

• Antoine Walker
It’s a pretty insensitive remark but on the scale of offensive comments someone can make on TV, I think it’s pretty low.
Greg

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2021, 01:55:20 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
Thanks Greg683 for posting link..I couldn’t for some odd reason

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2021, 02:09:00 PM »

Offline SDceltGuy

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49
First Rachel Nichols and now Steven A.    You play with the wokism fire you deserved to get burned.  ESPN is beyond redemption.

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2021, 02:19:23 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
ESPN is garbage nowadays, which is a shame because I used to love it a lot actually. It's not just the remarks but also just how obviously biased they've become with big market teams, even more so than like a decade ago (New York and LA teams in particular)

I mean how the hell does A-Rod get to do Sunday Night Baseball in which NYY usually plays  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2021, 02:31:42 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Stephen A is a blowhard, but I don't think it is a horrible thing to question whether or not a player in the US would be better served speaking English fluently and without the use of an interpreter.  It may in fact affect his marketability. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2021, 03:02:44 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Stephen A is a blowhard, but I don't think it is a horrible thing to question whether or not a player in the US would be better served speaking English fluently and without the use of an interpreter.  It may in fact affect his marketability.

I tend to agree. I'm not a big Stephen A. fan, but I don't think he's being racist towards Ohtani in particular or Asians in general; I think he was just saying (perhaps uneloquently) that if MLB is going to market a player—any player—it sure would help if that player spoke English, because that will make it easier for that player to directly connect with fans, most of whom speak English.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2021, 03:09:12 PM »

Online greg683x

• Antoine Walker

I think it absolutely does.  It makes him a lot less relatable 
Greg

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2021, 03:12:11 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It should be noted that the article says that Ohtani actually speaks English. The Darvish portion of the article explains why players whose first language isn’t English often feel more comfortable using an interpreter. Perhaps Ohtani will feel more comfortable doing interviews and such w/o an interpreter in the future.

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2021, 03:16:27 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

I tend to agree. I'm not a big Stephen A. fan, but I don't think he's being racist towards Ohtani in particular or Asians in general; I think he was just saying (perhaps uneloquently) that if MLB is going to market a player—any player—it sure would help if that player spoke English, because that will make it easier for that player to directly connect with fans, most of whom speak English.
and i am sure this includes those players who speak spanish and not english as well, right? i mean, if you can't speak english you should not be allowed the same status as those who do, right?

wasnt a very similar "argument" posited in the 1940s about integration?

this is clearly a statement rooted in ignorance and xenophobia.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva