Poll

Which team will win the gold medal in men's basketball? (teams listed in alphabetical order)

Argentina
0 (0%)
Australia
0 (0%)
France
1 (50%)
Germany
0 (0%)
Italy
0 (0%)
Slovenia
0 (0%)
Spain
0 (0%)
USA
1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Tokyo Olympic Games  (Read 13534 times)

Re: Tokyo Olympic Games
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2021, 08:26:01 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The US women's soccer team loses games, even ones in major competition, all of the time.  Yes, the US is the best team in the world, but they don't always win.  In fact at the World Cup, the US has won only half of the 8 competitions, finishing 2nd once, and 3rd 3 times.  In the 2016 Rio Olympics, the US Women finished 5th.  There were 5 Olympics before Rio and the US did win 4 and finished with the silver in the other.  They haven't even won all of the Gold Cup competitions finishing 3rd in 2010 (and no one else in North America is really all that good on the world stage).  Even some of the other major competitions in the World, the US doesn't always win.

All that said, I expect them to win the Gold this year, as they are the best team (loss to Sweden and draw to Australia not withstanding). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2021, 04:15:11 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Here's the draw for the quarterfinals:

Worst possible outcome for the US. They could have drawn Spain, Italy, Germany or Argentina. Great draw for Slovenia. Luka is about to lead them to the semis! I really enjoy watching Slovenia! Luka was forced to sit out most of the 2nd quarter vs Spain due to foul trouble, yet they still won the game. Their players cannot run really fast, they cannot jump really high, but they play beautiful team basketball! Luka was one assist short of a triple double vs Spain. Fwiw, the only players who have recorded a triple double in the Olympics are LeBron and Sergei Belov (a legendary russian player).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 04:24:05 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2021, 06:46:28 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Here's the draw for the quarterfinals:

Worst possible outcome for the US. They could have drawn Spain, Italy, Germany or Argentina. Great draw for Slovenia. Luka is about to lead them to the semis! I really enjoy watching Slovenia! Luka was forced to sit out most of the 2nd quarter vs Spain due to foul trouble, yet they still won the game. Their players cannot run really fast, they cannot jump really high, but they play beautiful team basketball! Luka was one assist short of a triple double vs Spain. Fwiw, the only players who have recorded a triple double in the Olympics are LeBron and Sergei Belov (a legendary russian player).
I've got Slovenia v France opposed by USA vs Australia.

I'm an Aussie and I want Slovenia to win!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)