Author Topic: Standing against Asian Hate  (Read 15094 times)

Re: Standing against Asian Hate
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2021, 05:42:04 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Another consideration is that this is a hate crime against women rather than against Asians.
Yep. Sexism is a form of racism. There are numerous forms of racism: ethnic-based racism, religious-based racism, gender-based racism, you name it.
No it isn't.  Racism is about a person's race.  Not their gender.  Not their sexual orientation.
Not necessarily. Here's a quote from wiki.

Quote from: wikipedia
The ideology underlying racism can manifest in many aspects of social life. Such aspects are described in this section, although the list is not exhaustive.
Cultural
Economic
Institutional
Othering
Supremacism
Symbolic/modern
Subconscious biases

Since you went to Wikipedia, below is their definition of racism and sexism.  Racism is about race and ethnicity.  Sexism is about gender.  They are not the same and sexism is not a form of racism.  Any form of discrimination is going to manifest itself in the various social aspects of life regardless of whether the discrimination is based on race, sex, sexual orientation, religion, etc. 

Racism is the belief that groups of humans possess different behavioral traits corresponding to physical appearance and can be divided based on the superiority of one race over another.[1][2][3][4] It may also mean prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against other people because they are of a different race or ethnicity.

Sexism is prejudice or discrimination based on a person's sex or gender. Sexism can affect anyone, but it primarily affects women and girls.[1] It has been linked to stereotypes and gender roles,[2][3] and may include the belief that one sex or gender is intrinsically superior to another.
Scroll down a bit and you'll see the following quote:

''It is commonly agreed that racism existed before the coinage of the word, but there is not a wide agreement on a single definition of what racism is and what it is not. Today, some scholars of racism prefer to use the concept in the plural racisms, in order to emphasize its many different forms that do not easily fall under a single definition''.

Scroll down a bit more and you'll find my initial quote.

The term is widely used to describe all forms of discrimination. If you wanna focus only on race prejudice, that's up to you.
Academic definitions of words tend to be pretty different to how they’re used in every day life, and given sexism does exist in a vacuum without race being involved or not I’m not sure what the point is for this debate
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2021, 05:43:19 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Did anyone here two White women were also killed in the attack.  And this was not a hate crime. He did this because of his sex addiction in his own words.
So he killed them because they were women? Or because of their job? The former is definitely a hate crime

I don’t get the enhancement for hate crimes..there is already  centuries of well reasoned homicide laws that account for deliberate killings with malice aforethought, why the need for hate enhancement?

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2021, 06:34:34 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

Did anyone here two White women were also killed in the attack.  And this was not a hate crime. He did this because of his sex addiction in his own words.
So he killed them because they were women? Or because of their job? The former is definitely a hate crime

I don’t get the enhancement for hate crimes..there is already  centuries of well reasoned homicide laws that account for deliberate killings with malice aforethought, why the need for hate enhancement?

100%. TP

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2021, 06:45:33 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522

100%. TP

Not all hate crimes are homicides.   The distinction could raise the stakes for harassments and assaults.

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2021, 07:07:59 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

100%. TP

The distinction is made bc a hate crime is targeting an entire class or subset of ppl which is considered worse than victimizing an individual. Worse in the sense of ability to rehabilitate the person, the person's mental health and their danger to society.

It's similar to a premeditated a crime vs a crime of passion...one is considered worse bc dude who planned it out is a little more psycho. Just like dude randomly punching Asians or gays etc is a little more psycho than dude who punches another dude during an argument.

Different levels of crazy deserve different punishment.

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2021, 08:31:35 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

100%. TP

The distinction is made bc a hate crime is targeting an entire class or subset of ppl which is considered worse than victimizing an individual. Worse in the sense of ability to rehabilitate the person, the person's mental health and their danger to society.

It's similar to a premeditated a crime vs a crime of passion...one is considered worse bc dude who planned it out is a little more psycho. Just like dude randomly punching Asians or gays etc is a little more psycho than dude who punches another dude during an argument.

I get that. I just dont see how planning and deliberating to kill can be graded based on motivation. Planning to kill and killing after deliberation is heinous per se.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 10:13:26 PM by Ogaju »

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2021, 11:00:59 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

100%. TP

I get that. I just dont see how planning and deliberating to kill can be graded based on motivation. Planning to kill and killing after deliberation is heinous per se.

Because having no motivation to kill someone but doing it anyway is crazier than killing someone you have motive to kill... what's not to get?

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2021, 01:52:23 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

100%. TP

Because having no motivation to kill someone but doing it anyway is crazier than killing someone you have motive to kill... what's not to get?

So you consider accidental homicide worse than intentional homicide?

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2021, 02:09:13 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

100%. TP

So you consider accidental homicide worse than intentional homicide?
I think you're reading him the wrong way around

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2021, 09:00:22 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Because he was nuts,  and  a sex addict. Sex addiction can be very serious problem. 

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2021, 05:15:47 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Because he was nuts,  and  a sex addict. Sex addiction can be very serious problem.
Neither of these things disqualify it from being a hate crime...

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2021, 05:49:24 PM »

Offline fmbl24

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 18
Defendant: “i have a sex addiction issue strongly conflicting with my morality. It got me kicked out of my house, put in rehab and essentially ruined my life. I wanted the problem to go away. That’s why I shot those Asian white and Spanish people at the rub and tugs.

Police: “This is tied to mental illness and sex addiction struggles, this was a a place the defendant frequented. There is no evidence of discrimination.”

Mainstream and Social Media: #StopAsianHate #Racism #alm

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2021, 06:41:54 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Defendant: “i have a sex addiction issue strongly conflicting with my morality. It got me kicked out of my house, put in rehab and essentially ruined my life. I wanted the problem to go away. That’s why I shot those Asian white and Spanish people at the rub and tugs.

Police: “This is tied to mental illness and sex addiction struggles, this was a a place the defendant frequented. There is no evidence of discrimination.”

I'm not 100% sure what your primary point is.   I think it's about equally as absurd to rule out the possibility that there was a racial factor involved as it is to be certain that a racial factor was involved.

Yes -- sides jump to conclusions with only bits of information.  It's the world we're in.  But it's absurd, IMO, for anyone to be certain about the underlying motivation for this crime.  At this point it's probably most on point to say that it is another tragic mass killing by a disturbed individual who took 8 lives and devastated families.  Time will tell re: his motive.

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2021, 07:21:51 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

I'm not 100% sure what your primary point is.   I think it's about equally as absurd to rule out the possibility that there was a racial factor involved as it is to be certain that a racial factor was involved.

Yes -- sides jump to conclusions with only bits of information.  It's the world we're in.  But it's absurd, IMO, for anyone to be certain about the underlying motivation for this crime.  At this point it's probably most on point to say that it is another tragic mass killing by a disturbed individual who took 8 lives and devastated families.  Time will tell re: his motive.

Distraction from the heinous act and the gun issue. They are not even saying much about gun violence. The media in this country is grossly irresponsible.

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2021, 09:46:35 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91

I’m not seeing a point either- no actually I do, it’s obvious.

But let’s examine it anyway:

Defendant - is a crazy murderer, let’s trust his version of events!

Police - say it’s sex addiction, yet they also said this “He’s just having a bad day.”

What should be obvious

1- the guy hated and blamed women - check.
2- the guy fetishized Asian women - check.
3- the guy sought out women in their place of work and murdered them, primarily Asian women. - check.

That’s 3 hate box checks. How is this NOT a hate crime?

He didn’t accidentally pick these places. He knew who worked there. He could have gone to places that didn’t employ Asians, but he didn’t. He chose places that were primarily Asian. Yes, non-Asians and non-female victims also died as the result of his actions. They weren’t his intended targets.