Author Topic: Standing against Asian Hate  (Read 14833 times)

Standing against Asian Hate
« on: March 20, 2021, 07:46:52 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Sorry, if this was posted elsewhere on this forum and I just didn’t see it but I figured it was something I wanted to at least bring some attention to.

I don’t live in the US but I have family and friends who do, scattered across the different states. My girlfriend is actually flying out in a few months to study in the US. With the recent uptick in violence against Asians/Asian-Americans, I can’t help but feel worry about their safety.

People like Jeremy Lin, Lebron and Kerr have spoken up about these incidents recently (esp with the recent Georgia shooting) and while I appreciate the support they’re showing, at the end of the day, I know it all really starts with us. Not celebs or famous people but people who are really entrenched in the communities.

This isnt a thread meant to antagonize or blame or single out any person or group or whatever nor do I want to make this into some platform for political mudslinging. It’s more of... a plea? An ask that if you do see something in your community, or hear something in your community, that somehow perpetuates this racial hate against Asians that you try and do something. Whether you witness something as simple as someone calling COVID-19 as the “Chinese Virus” or someone outright getting angry and telling some Asian to “go back to your country”, please try and speak up. Or correct them. Or show empathy to the one being targeted afterwards.

Those small gestures might seem inconsequential but allies matter. And I hope I can count on the wonderful community here to be one. Anyway, sorry, just had to get that off my chest. Back to basketball. Go C’s!

- LilRip

Re: Standing against Asian Hate
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 07:56:25 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Not good.  Lots of ignorant people out there.
Idiots shouldn’t be allowed to have guns...

Responsible people; ok to have guns.

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 08:28:30 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Not good.  Lots of ignorant people out there.
Idiots shouldn’t be allowed to have guns...

Responsible people; ok to have guns.
Who decides whether someone is an idiot or not? There isn't always an objective way to judge these things. More guns = more killings. Less guns = less killings. It's as simple as that. Being a european, the gun laws in the US seem completely ridiculous to me. Btw, the same goes for the health insurance system as well. My country has gone bankrupt 4 times the last 11 years. Our health care system is in ruins. Even so, I'd much rather get sick here than in the US. If you're uninsured in the US and you need to get hospitalized, chances are you'll just die. This is inhumane.

Anyway, TP to the OP. Unfortunately, the situation regarding racism is even worse here in Europe. We even have concentration camps! We call them ''refugee hotspots'' cause we don't like the term ''concentration camps'', but that's exactly what they are. The vast majority of the population couldn't care less about these people. They believe they should be treated like intruders! :(
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 10:20:40 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 10:12:04 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Stereotyping and racial bias is nothing new in America or (I would think) in other parts of the world.  Sometimes it plays out more covertly and subconsciously, sometimes it plays out more overtly.  We seem to be in a current wave of more overt displays of race based verbal and physical attacks. The impact of even what might be considered the mildest of attacks is certainly individually experienced, but no doubt that many Asians in America are feeling threatened and at least uncomfortable with this fresh wave at antagonistic comments.

It’s impossible to know whether what’s happening in America is any worse than in other countries, but I will say that it’s my guess that the potential benefits of your girlfriend coming to America to study will outweigh the risks (easy for me to say). There are many Asian Americans living in my town - of course I can’t be certain that they haven’t been harassed but I’d not only be taken aback in surprise if I witnessed this in my town, I most certainly would say something to make it clear that I don’t agree with or approve of the comments. I’ve done so in other circumstances and wouldn’t hesitate.

I done believe racial bias will ever end - it’s a part of the reality of how we live.  But the more we communicate and integrate the better — and the more our leaders model decency toward one another rather than enmity toward any who are “different” than ourselves the better as well.

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 10:42:45 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We should indeed stand up to racism.  Beyond violence, anti-Asian racism is prevalent in the admissions process of many colleges and universities.  Race shouldn’t be us d as a negative against anybody.

At the same time, I’m not sure the Georgia case was based on racial hatred.  It could be, but I think there’s just as much evidence that this was based upon a mentally ill man’s sex practices.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 11:28:36 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I’m not sure who here doesn’t stand against racism, but I feel like we’re not the best target audience for this suggestion.

Is there anyone here that wouldn’t speak up if they hear someone discriminating against someone due to aspects of their life that they have no control over?

To your point for her safety, please tune out the nonsense that you hear in the news. Even if someone is racist in America, it’s rare for them to act on it. More overt racism happens elsewhere or in states that she probably won’t be visiting.

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 11:29:59 AM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
To the OP...I appreciate and agree with your sentiment.

That said, statistically you should be way more worried about some dude hooking up with your girl not random acts of violence against her. Truth 😉

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2021, 11:42:42 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
All racial hate is wrong.   

Please don't use Lebron as an example of standing up against racism.  Especially against Asian.

And Nike’s shoe sales in China doubled in the last five years, and the company has 110 factories and over 145,000 workers in China. After all, those $110 #23 jerseys don’t stitch themselves.  In fact, who does stitch them?

Nike doesn’t say. But according to the Citizen Power Institute (CPI), much of China’s apparel production is done by up to 1 million of China’s Uighurs and other Muslim ethnic groups detained in so-called re-education camps or vocational training centers, intended to cleanse them of their ethnic and religious  identity and make them loyal to the Communist Party of China.

The camps and centers are in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region, which produces 84 percent of China’s cotton crop (Nike says the #23 jerseys are 100 percent recycled polyester), and most are run by the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps (XPCC), a paramilitary organization that reports directly to the Communist Party of China and is tasked to help maintain political stability in Xinjiang. One of the ways it is doing so is by detention of large numbers of Uighurs in "re-education camps" which complements the Chinese government’s goal of vertical integration of the  garment manufacturing sector.

The XPCC operates through a network of joint-ventures and front companies that produce the finished goods. One of the XPCC’s joint-venture partners is Hong Kong-based Esquel Group, which produces clothing for Nike.

LeBron is good he is speaking out against it but his actions are more concerned about his bottom line than the plight of the Uighurs.

But hate of any kind is bad and intolerable. 

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2021, 11:58:27 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
I’m not sure who here doesn’t stand against racism, but I feel like we’re not the best target audience for this suggestion.

Is there anyone here that wouldn’t speak up if they hear someone discriminating against someone due to aspects of their life that they have no control over?

To your point for her safety, please tune out the nonsense that you hear in the news. Even if someone is racist in America, it’s rare for them to act on it. More overt racism happens elsewhere or in states that she probably won’t be visiting.

Agree on all of the above.

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2021, 12:08:56 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Did anyone here two White women were also killed in the attack.  And this was not a hate crime. He did this because of his sex addiction in his own words.

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2021, 12:21:16 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens

Did anyone here two White women were also killed in the attack.  And this was not a hate crime. He did this because of his sex addiction in his own words.

Heard all that but I'm a little confused by it.  I'd want to hear how sex addition leads to mass murder.  Not saying there isn't some disturbed rationale, but would like to hear it.

Another consideration is that this is a hate crime against women rather than against Asians. 

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2021, 12:33:02 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
Another consideration is that this is a hate crime against women rather than against Asians.
Yep. Sexism is a form of racism. There are numerous forms of racism: ethnic-based racism, religious-based racism, gender-based racism, you name it.

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2021, 12:39:34 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Yep. Sexism is a form of racism. There are numerous forms of racism: ethnic-based racism, religious-based racism, gender-based racism, you name it.
No it isn't.  Racism is about a person's race.  Not their gender.  Not their sexual orientation. 

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2021, 12:45:24 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

Heard all that but I'm a little confused by it.  I'd want to hear how sex addition leads to mass murder.  Not saying there isn't some disturbed rationale, but would like to hear it.

R story is he was a sex addict seeking treatment multiple times but kept falling off the wagon. His "drug"was massage parlor sex...so he was, in his delusional mind, eliminating the temptation.

He immediate told the cops this story and it was then supported/confirmed by a friend/recovery patient who knew him.

But the Asian hate narrative has more value to the media and some politicians too

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2021, 12:51:12 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
No it isn't.  Racism is about a person's race.  Not their gender.  Not their sexual orientation.
Not necessarily. Here's a quote from wiki.

Quote from: wikipedia
The ideology underlying racism can manifest in many aspects of social life. Such aspects are described in this section, although the list is not exhaustive.
Cultural
Economic
Institutional
Othering
Supremacism
Symbolic/modern
Subconscious biases