Author Topic: Which musician / group is the most universally liked?  (Read 23798 times)

Re: Which musician / group is the most universally liked?
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2020, 02:35:05 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I have to go with Michael Jackson simply because of the question.... universally liked. Most of these suggestions are great if the question was ....universally liked by older white people. But that's not the question.

When you consider Latinos, African Americans, and people under 35, a small portion of that group have probably heard of musicians like Fleetwood Mac or Tom Petty or Van Morrison but don't like their music or, much more likely, have never even heard of these artists.

Michael spans the generations across racial lines with recognition of his name and music.

All of this is why I suggest Bob Marley is the the real answer here.  Marley cuts across all those same demographics. And he wasn't a POS.  Jackson is loathed by far too many to qualify.

I like the Marley suggestion too, although it probably depends on how long the party / gathering is.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2020, 03:30:19 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 572
NWA?

« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2020, 03:55:06 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
The Grateful Dead, the Beatles, & Bob Marley.  All hold up over time for me.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2020, 05:37:23 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 618
The Grateful Dead, the Beatles, & Bob Marley.  All hold up over time for me.

Grateful Dead might be one of the most hated bands out there.

They have extremely dedicated followers but just as many people detest them.

But agreement on Beatles and Marley. Both have few that hate them.

@Roy what do u mean about how long the party is re:Marley?

« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2022, 11:36:35 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
I have never heard anyone say they did not like the Beatles.  They garnered world-wide acclaim.  I also believe David Bowie is in the same category.
I've always enjoyed Tom Petty.     

The people I’ve heard criticize the Beatles were mostly hardcore Stones fans.  Kind of like people who trash PlayStation because they like Xbox better.

This is my experience, too, but I still think the answer is probably The Beatles given their popularity across every generation of the past sixty years. Although I cannot think of anybody I’ve ever met who said they do not like Tom Petty, undoubtedly there are many music lovers who have no idea who he is—but everybody who knows anything about music knows who The Beatles are, and that will probably be the case for time immemorial. They’re basically to 20th century music what Mozart is to 18th century music and Beethoven to late 18th century/early 19th century music.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 11:46:59 PM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2022, 11:40:42 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
in terms of modern music, i've never met a soul who doesn't like the Gorillaz or Daft Punk. I don't know much about older music, but it seems like Billy Joel is pretty universally liked.

If we limit this to 21st century music only, I bet Daft Punk wins.

« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2022, 08:14:48 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I have never heard anyone say they did not like the Beatles.  They garnered world-wide acclaim.  I also believe David Bowie is in the same category.

The people I’ve heard criticize the Beatles were mostly hardcore Stones fans.  Kind of like people who trash PlayStation because they like Xbox better.

This is my experience, too, but I still think the answer is probably The Beatles given their popularity across every generation of the past sixty years. Although I cannot think of anybody I’ve ever met who said they do not like Tom Petty, undoubtedly there are many music lovers who have no idea who he is—but everybody who knows anything about music knows who The Beatles are, and that will probably be the case for time immemorial. They’re basically to 20th century music what Mozart is to 18th century music and Beethoven to late 18th century/early 19th century music.
Given that you revived this thread, I really appreciate the fact that you came with the right answer.   ;)  It's not even close, the Beatles continue to have broad appeal and their music is still played on radio/satellite etc. and they continue to influence current musicians and composers.

« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2022, 11:46:14 AM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1799

I had forgotten what I wrote back in 2020.  I continue to believe the Beatles are the most universally liked musicians.  During the pandemic I became an even bigger fan of Paul McCartney.  A friend recently attended one of his concerts where he performed for 3 hours without a break.  Yesterday was his 80th birthday!  However, for what it's worth, Pearl Jam is now my favorite group, and Eddie Vedder is by far my favorite performer.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 12:15:12 PM by Silas »
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2022, 01:10:12 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
For my answer to this question, I'm thinking of if I were hosting a graduation party for an 18-year old and had an audience of their friends, their parents + their friends, and their grandparents + great aunts/uncles... who's album would I play for some background music?  Not positive that's the right way to think about the question, but its how I'm looking at it and I'd go with an Ed Sheeran album.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2022, 07:23:01 PM »

Offline Las Vegas Asian

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 6
I would have to say Journey. I haven't really heard anyone speak negatively about them and people, both young and old, and around the world know the lyrics to a few of their songs. Though the average person, that's not a fan, probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between Steve Perry and Arnel Pineda singing the same songs.

« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2022, 08:19:47 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I know I jokingly said Nickelback awhile ago, but the only real answer to this question is the Beatles and it isn't close.  Even diehard Stones fans who profess to hate the Beatles, do actually like them (sure they prefer the Stones, but they don't actually dislike the Beatles). 

I think Elton John, the Police/Sting, and Queen are also pretty universally liked, but the Beatles is the only real answer.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2022, 08:29:43 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I know I jokingly said Nickelback awhile ago, but the only real answer to this question is the Beatles and it isn't close.  Even diehard Stones fans who profess to hate the Beatles, do actually like them (sure they prefer the Stones, but they don't actually dislike the Beatles). 

I think Elton John, the Police/Sting, and Queen are also pretty universally liked, but the Beatles is the only real answer.
Queen is a good one, simply due to the fact that most adults can sing along to at least one of their songs.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2022, 09:15:54 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Queen is a good one, simply due to the fact that most adults can sing along to at least one of their songs.
Yeah, "We Are the Champions" is one of the most famous songs in the world. I've heard that at sporting events in a bunch of different countries.  And that is clearly not their best song.  Couple that with their performance at Live Aid, which is the greatest concert ever (by basically every account) and Queen has to be up there (though as I said the Beatles is the only acceptable answer).

On another note, when I was trying to figure out the most popular song ever, I discovered it is Blinding Lights by the Weeknd, at least according to Billboard, who would probably know.  That song has apparently been on the Billboard hot 100/200 for the longest amount of time of any song ever.

https://www.billboard.com/charts/greatest-hot-100-singles/

As an aside, that is the strangest list of songs I think I've ever seen.  Just a full gamut of age and style. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2022, 09:54:36 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
I learned a long time ago, that you can't argue music...its a taste, like saying Red is a better color than Green.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2022, 10:03:47 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Yeah, "We Are the Champions" is one of the most famous songs in the world. I've heard that at sporting events in a bunch of different countries.  And that is clearly not their best song.  Couple that with their performance at Live Aid, which is the greatest concert ever (by basically every account) and Queen has to be up there (though as I said the Beatles is the only acceptable answer).

On another note, when I was trying to figure out the most popular song ever, I discovered it is Blinding Lights by the Weeknd, at least according to Billboard, who would probably know.  That song has apparently been on the Billboard hot 100/200 for the longest amount of time of any song ever.

https://www.billboard.com/charts/greatest-hot-100-singles/

As an aside, that is the strangest list of songs I think I've ever seen.  Just a full gamut of age and style.

Could not agree more. TP for the hyperlink. Blinding Lights is a pretty great song. Loved the version of NBA 2K that had it on the soundtrack.