Author Topic: Is it just me, or is the quality of conversation around here at an all-time low?  (Read 37220 times)

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I feel like it’s nearly impossible to have a solid basketball conversation around here lately. The BBIQ, level of observation, and ability to communicate all seem to be at a middle school level. 

I honestly feel dumber for reading about 40% of the posts on here.  I don’t know what it is, but I wish people would try harder.  Hot takes + sheer stupidity = a pretty unreadable mess.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
100%

It's especially annoying because I feel like half the time when I try and have a discussion with someone here they literally don't read anything I've written in reply, and just retort with the same thing that I'd addressed in my own post.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
Agreed, it's pretty bad.  It almost doesn't make sense to take the time support your arguments/counterarguments with relevant facts and statistics since they'll likely just end up being ignored.  Some people cannot be rationalized with no matter how well your make your case.  Of course, not supporting arguments adequately just leads to low quality discussions, as we see now.

I also see some threads topics that are just immediately facepalm inducing.  And that's not being condescending or thinking that I somehow know more about basketball than others.  It's just that those topics, and their respective premise(s), are really silly.  And wrong.  I see one in the "Latest Discussions" right now.

There's still some quality posters though.  And game threads are still cool.  Where else can we consistently vent about the NBA's atrocious officiating?

RazzelnoDazzel

I feel like it’s nearly impossible to have a solid basketball conversation around here lately. The BBIQ, level of observation, and ability to communicate all seem to be at a middle school level. 

I honestly feel dumber for reading about 40% of the posts on here.  I don’t know what it is, but I wish people would try harder.  Hot takes + sheer stupidity = a pretty unreadable mess.

Sorry I can’t read your complaint due to ads 🤷🏽‍♂️

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The problem with this thread is everybody is going to agree, but nobody will think they are to blame.

I am not going to claim I have this sophisticated level of knowledge and understanding of the NBA and its intricacies, but I sure hope I am not being pinpointed in this thread (because I generally do agree with the premise).

Anyway, yeah, it would be great if people took facts, analyzed them, and then presented their posts in a way that shows they understand those facts.

I will go first on an issue (that isn’t salary cap related). Under no circumstance should anybody want Kyrie to walk in FA. This would be a massive loss of an asset. At the very worst, people should want us to sign him for the max and then eventually trade him if it is just not working out. I really have no idea what people think we have to gain by him simply signing with another team in FA...because it is certainly not cap space to sign somebody else.

Edit: nice response sceltic34 - tp to you and Roy
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 01:10:19 AM by jambr380 »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

This is the first season I've been around, but maybe it's due to the disappointment of how our season went? I dunno, but I agree it has gotten worse as the year progressed.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Again, I don’t know if you are pinpointing any individuals, but I will say that I actually do like having LB back here positing long, well-thought our posts. His opinion may be a bit off-beat at times, but I genuinely appreciate the effort that goes into his posts and there is often good dialogue that comes from them.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 06:50:30 AM by jambr380 »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Agreed.

People here ask the same dumb questions, and rehash irrational trade ideas that would never work in any scenario or even from any GM's view point.

Maybe I'm bitter, but I miss the days of saltlover and when other posters like BBallTim and a few others made great articulated threads.

People still don't understand sign and trades and there have been over 10 threads about it now...

I simply am losing hope in coming back, because some people are being delusional and literally unable to have a consistent debate or argument without getting their feelings hurt.

Anyways end rant.

This is why I use celtics reddit more.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Agreed.

People here ask the same dumb questions, and rehash irrational trade ideas that would never work in any scenario or even from any GM's view point.

Maybe I'm bitter, but I miss the days of saltlover and when other posters like BBallTim and a few others made great articulated threads.

People still don't understand sign and trades and there have been over 10 threads about it now...

I simply am losing hope in coming back, because some people are being delusional and literally unable to have a consistent debate or argument without getting their feelings hurt.

Anyways end rant.

This is why I use celtics reddit more.
Reddit really isn't much better... at all.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
The problem with this thread is everybody is going to agree, but nobody will think they are to blame.

I am not going to claim I have this sophisticated level of knowledge and understanding of the NBA and its intricacies, but I sure hope I am not being pinpointed in this thread (because I generally do agree with the premise).

Anyway, yeah, it would be great if people took facts, analyzed them, and then presented their posts in a way that shows they understand those facts.

I will go first issue (that isn’t salary cap related). Under no circumstance should anybody want Kyrie to walk in FA. This would be a massive loss of an asset. At the very worst, people should want us to sign him for the max and then eventually trade him if it is just not working out. I really have no idea what people think we have to gain by him simply signing with another team in FA...because it is certainly not cap space to sign somebody else.

Edit: nice response sceltic34 - tp to you and Roy

I think people ( myself included) were really upset about how the season ended and that led to many very hot takes.

I agree with the Kyrie point. I also do not see the point in giving up assets to trade for a point guard who will cost assets when we already have Kyrie's Bird rights. Kyrie had some bad games in The Bucks series but he's still a top 25 player and still in his prime.

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I usually always keep my posts to a minimum (i.e. brevity is my best friend). So maybe in that sense I am part of the issue you’re describing.

But with that being said, I have been annoyed by the lack of knowledge regarding cap-issues, CBA, how trades and free agency and the draft work, etc. for some time now.

I’ve been here for almost 15 years (under two names!) and this is the only time I’ve actually considered stopping.

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I didn’t know that this was an appropriate conversational topic. Yes, of course. The trade proposals aren’t usually legal, or are so convoluted that they would never happen (3 team trades with a sign and trade and the math doesn’t work). Or they’re really bad for us (like trading Kyrie for Whiteside). People make the same basketball/statistical logic mistakes over and over again (the team was better without Kyrie because the record was better). Lots of really hot takes, particularly revolving around Kyrie Irving. It makes me question whether some of the posters actually want the Celtics to win a title, or if they’d prefer to be correct about their hatred of him. Sorry, lots of Kyrie examples... recency bias.

I started frequenting the Celtics reddit page instead, and frankly, it wasn’t much better. I fear that the majority of fans (of any team) are low information contributors. They have never played basketball at any significant level, very casually watch games (opportunity to drink vs nail biting horror), don’t know the CBA or cap math, don’t understand NBA plays very well (like the types of defenses, offensive sets) and have a low understanding of statistics and basketball statistical algorithms. The one positive of reddit is that the garbage gets downvoted fairly quickly. I wish that this forum had that type of organic feedback system.

I am mainly currently using this site as a refresh for off-season updates and using strong discipline to not click on anything involving trade ideas or “what went wrong.”
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 02:05:31 AM by Erik »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Completely agree. I hope I'm not in the group of posters being lumped together in this thread as well, I do try to form an opinion after analysing statistics and facts.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I fear that the majority of fans (of any team) are low information contributors. They have never played basketball at any significant level, very casually watch games (opportunity to drink vs nail biting horror), don’t know the CBA or cap math, don’t understand NBA plays very well (like the types of defenses, offensive sets) and have a low understanding of statistics and basketball statistical algorithms. The one positive of reddit is that the garbage gets downvoted fairly quickly. I wish that this forum had that type of organic feedback system.
I understand your points, but I've never played basketball at any significant level (I pretty much only play basketball outdoors), yet I don't run around throwing out illegal trade proposals, and I do try to understand what types of sets NBA teams try to run before talking about tactics and stuff. Not a huge stat guru though, it'll probably be my focus alongside more complex basketball sets and plays in the future.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I’m not sure what is more to blame.
The fans with their uneducated bland posts or
The watered down product that the nba is lately and the people it attracts as fans?
When I go to Indianapolis to see a game it’s always the same ridiculous cheap circus show when there are breaks in the game.
Like literally players would be walking out the field and there would be people carrying burnings hoops or other accessories bumping into them. I’m like do fans have to be entertained with this hodgepodge every single second the basketball isn’t moving?
When you add the 5 fast breaks a game that end with a three point attempt ... then I would ask myself what is this watered down version of a competitive team sport I wasted my night to watch
What kind of person would fund it amusing ?