Author Topic: Grant Williams Alternates?  (Read 2764 times)

Grant Williams Alternates?
« on: October 16, 2022, 03:28:40 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
It seems that the Celtics front office and Williams are at an impasse in regards to his financial value. If this continues through the season perhaps he needs to be moved?

Grant Williams is such a polarizing figure, he can be surprisingly effective, then completely non-existent.

The problem with trading him if finding returning value and the fact his positional role is very hard to find.

—————————

One idea I had was if the Hornets struggle early this season they might tank and look to retool their roster.

Hornet: Williams, Hauser, Celtics 1st round pick

Celtics: P.J Washington
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Grant Williams Alternates?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2022, 03:46:31 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
It seems that the Celtics front office and Williams are at an impasse in regards to his financial value. If this continues through the season perhaps he needs to be moved?

Grant Williams is such a polarizing figure, he can be surprisingly effective, then completely non-existent.

The problem with trading him if finding returning value and the fact his positional role is very hard to find.

—————————

One idea I had was if the Hornets struggle early this season they might tank and look to retool their roster.

Grant Williams is a better player than Washington. He's a much better defender and shooter.

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2022, 03:59:34 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
Love Grant.  Want him here.

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2022, 04:06:42 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

—————————

Grant Williams is a better player than Washington. He's a much better defender and shooter.
No, he is not. Worse scorer, rebounder, and passer. Shooting difference is minute. Washington is a better career shooter on more attempts, and over the last two seasons the 3PT % is 2 points in Grant's favour (on nearly 2 less attempts).
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2022, 04:18:13 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Meh on Grant..would not give him what he wants
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2022, 04:31:12 PM »

Offline Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 172

Grant's contract is of no concern. Brad is going to let him get to restricted free agency to let the market determine his worth and then match him or let him go. If you think so less of him, why are you trying to get value for him as if we would be losing so much if he left and we got nothing in return?

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2022, 04:32:41 PM »

• Paul Silas

—————————

No, he is not. Worse scorer, rebounder, and passer. Shooting difference is minute. Washington is a better career shooter on more attempts, and over the last two seasons the 3PT % is 2 points in Grant's favour (on nearly 2 less attempts).

Yes he is. He's been a signficant rotation player for a playoff team and won several games. PJ Washington continues to lose rotation minutes on a lottery team.

PJ Washington is a poor defender, which is the main reason he's been losing minutes. Williams blows him out of the water in that regard.

All other stats are jaded in the favor of the player who gets more time on a worse team.

Washington has essentially been a Terrance Jones or one of the Morris twins early in their career.

I'm a big fan of Washington and would love to have him in our rotation. I think he has potential to improve, but I think we will see that the market doesn't value what he brings as much as Williams when they get their next contracts.

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2022, 04:38:44 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
I'm not concerned. I think Grant will be restricted as a FA next summer if he isn't extended tomorrow which means the Celtics can still just match if another team throws him a big bag and I'm skeptical there will be a team out there who wants Grant so much they'll offer him something the Celtics won't want to match.

For him to get a sizeable offer, he'd have to be excellent this season and if he's that good this year then we'll likely having a starting PF job waiting for him.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2022, 05:07:30 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

—————————

Yes he is. He's been a signficant rotation player for a playoff team and won several games. PJ Washington continues to lose rotation minutes on a lottery team.

PJ Washington is a poor defender, which is the main reason he's been losing minutes. Williams blows him out of the water in that regard.

All other stats are jaded in the favor of the player who gets more time on a worse team.

Washington has essentially been a Terrance Jones or one of the Morris twins early in their career.

I'm a big fan of Washington and would love to have him in our rotation. I think he has potential to improve, but I think we will see that the market doesn't value what he brings as much as Williams when they get their next contracts.
It has absolutely nothing to do with their minutes. Per possession comparisons avoid minutes bias, and they are as equally incomparable because PJ is better at everything.

The defensive difference is being exaggerated by you, as the shooting one was initially too. Poor is an overstatement - he sits in the mediocre range for most defensive analytics, just like Grant does. Both have glaring weaknesses on D, but generally are okay.

Winning is entirely dependent on the situation. It's not PJ's fault he was drafted to a basket case.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2022, 07:38:55 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
Brandon Clarke just signed for 4/52. I would consider that Grant's absolute ceiling if the team wants to sign him to a contract now rather than play it out through RFA. Same draft class. Close to same draft position. Close to same position on the floor (4/5). Clarke has been a more productive pro statistically. Grant has a more versatile, modern game with the 3 point shooting.

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2022, 07:52:21 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Brandon Clarke just signed for 4/52. I would consider that Grant's absolute ceiling if the team wants to sign him to a contract now rather than play it out through RFA. Same draft class. Close to same draft position. Close to same position on the floor (4/5). Clarke has been a more productive pro statistically. Grant has a more versatile, modern game with the 3 point shooting.

I question that Clarke has been more productive.  More points (all of two per game), does not mean more productive.

But I do think that they’re close, Grant and Clarke, so it’s nice to have a contract that’s a close comp.  I’ve said 4/54 with incentives to get it to 4/60, which feels appropriate with Clarke coming in at 4/52z

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2022, 08:27:07 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
Not to oversimplify it with raw counting stats but it’s not really that close.

Last year: Points / Reb / Ast
Clarke - 10.4 / 5.3 / 1.3
Grant - 7.8 / 3.6 / 1.0

Career:
Clarke - 10.9 / 5.6 / 1.4
Grant - 5.4 / 3.0 / 1.0

Per 36 minutes Career:
Clarke - 18 / 9.2 / 2.4
Grant - 10.1 / 5.6 / 1.9
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 08:49:57 PM by nebist »

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2022, 07:42:15 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I question that Clarke has been more productive.  More points (all of two per game), does not mean more productive.

But I do think that they’re close, Grant and Clarke, so it’s nice to have a contract that’s a close comp.  I’ve said 4/54 with incentives to get it to 4/60, which feels appropriate with Clarke coming in at 4/52z
Me too. For internal comparison, he is not going to get more than Robert Williams at 4/49. RFA will likely decide this thing, but I would guess 4/44.

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2022, 08:09:17 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
Not to oversimplify it with raw counting stats but it’s not really that close.

Last year: Points / Reb / Ast
Clarke - 10.4 / 5.3 / 1.3
Grant - 7.8 / 3.6 / 1.0

Career:
Clarke - 10.9 / 5.6 / 1.4
Grant - 5.4 / 3.0 / 1.0

Per 36 minutes Career:
Clarke - 18 / 9.2 / 2.4
Grant - 10.1 / 5.6 / 1.9

It is interesting to compare these two.  Clarke is more a Robert Williams type it seems to me, lob dunks and things like that.  Grant has the 3-ball though.  Whether it is justified or not, that single skill carries a lot of weight.  I have not seen enough to Clarke to say absolutely either way.  It would not surprise me if someone was willing to pay Grant more than Memphis paid Clarke.

Another thing is that Clarke is 26, Grant only 23 (almost 24).  So about 2 years difference.  Both players skills and limitations are probably pretty well established at this point but the age does favor Grant for ceiling or potential.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 09:31:07 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2022, 08:16:29 AM »

• Paul Silas

—————————

It has absolutely nothing to do with their minutes. Per possession comparisons avoid minutes bias, and they are as equally incomparable because PJ is better at everything.

The defensive difference is being exaggerated by you, as the shooting one was initially too. Poor is an overstatement - he sits in the mediocre range for most defensive analytics, just like Grant does. Both have glaring weaknesses on D, but generally are okay.

Winning is entirely dependent on the situation. It's not PJ's fault he was drafted to a basket case.

This is exactly where advanced stats break down. I love advanced stats, but they often (not always) can't differentiate in situations like this. We see it over and over again.

Often, comparing a player on a lottery team to a player on a winning team is like comparing apples to oranges. The situation is completely different, the shot opportunities are different, the role is different.

Again, I argue that we will see how the NBA values each player in their next contract. I like Washington a lot, but to this point in his career he has not proven he can contribute to a winning situation. However, that's what makes him an excellent trade candidate. I think i was the first one last year to suggest that he may be a good player to target. I like the guy's potential a lot on a winning basketball team.

But at this point, Grant has proven to be able to have a significant and valuable role on a winning basketball team. He's a more proven commodity and that will come out in their next contracts (or lack thereof in Washington's case).