Author Topic: Bill Simmons: "76ers dangled Ben Simmons for AD trade"  (Read 2554 times)

Bill Simmons: "76ers dangled Ben Simmons for AD trade"
« on: February 08, 2019, 07:01:36 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
The Philadelphia 76ers and New Orleans Pelicans reportedly had discussions on a trade centered on Ben Simmons for Anthony Davis.

Both Davis and Simmons are represented by Rich Paul.

"That's why I was so intrigued by the Ben Simmons for Davis (scenario)," said Bill Simmons. "By the way, I heard there were conversations on both sides with that."

Simmons will be eligible for a contract extension this offseason and his fit with the 76ers is not quite settled

https://www.theringer.com/the-bill-simmons-podcast/2019/2/7/18216197/nba-trade-deadline-extravaganza-with-ryen-russillo

Re: Bill Simmons: "76ers dangled Ben Simmons for AD trade"
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 07:04:26 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
The Philadelphia 76ers and New Orleans Pelicans reportedly had discussions on a trade centered on Ben Simmons for Anthony Davis.

Both Davis and Simmons are represented by Rich Paul.

"That's why I was so intrigued by the Ben Simmons for Davis (scenario)," said Bill Simmons. "By the way, I heard there were conversations on both sides with that."

Simmons will be eligible for a contract extension this offseason and his fit with the 76ers is not quite settled

https://www.theringer.com/the-bill-simmons-podcast/2019/2/7/18216197/nba-trade-deadline-extravaganza-with-ryen-russillo

That would have been an absolute nightmare in my mind. I think Embid is, and will be, much greater than cousins pre-injury. Davis and Embid together would be crazy.

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 07:10:15 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Just wondering, but what else can PHI offer NOP besides Simmons in a potential trade package? I thought they lost some valuable draft capital already to acquire Harris + Boban (the former they are likely to re-sign to an extension as is).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 07:14:43 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Just wondering, but what else can PHI offer NOP besides Simmons in a potential trade package? I thought they lost some valuable draft capital already to acquire Harris + Boban (the former they are likely to re-sign to an extension as is).

Simmons for Davis is pretty good value. The bigger problem is salary matching. Unless Harris or Butler agreed to a sign-and-trade, I don't think they could make salaries work, unless they renounced two of Harris, Butler, and Reddick to get under the cap enough to receive Davis' salary into their cap room.

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 07:24:53 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Butler, Harris, Redding, Embiid and Davis would very tough for us getting out of East... This would not only improve them, it would block us...At least, they can raise price of doing business with us...NO just needs to say they prefer Simmons to Tatum so throw in Brown and/Or Smart or no deal....

If Sixers did that trade, they could pick up Rondo in offseason to run the point...Barf!

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 07:29:30 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

Simmons for Davis is pretty good value. The bigger problem is salary matching. Unless Harris or Butler agreed to a sign-and-trade, I don't think they could make salaries work, unless they renounced two of Harris, Butler, and Reddick to get under the cap enough to receive Davis' salary into their cap room.

This was before the deadline, so I would imagine something like Simmons + Fultz + Boban.  Simmons being the prize and the Fultz as a potential project that you can try to spin to your fan base as huge potential/value (look we got 2 #1 picks!) with Boban as salary filler.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 07:30:59 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Butler, Harris, Redding, Embiid and Davis would very tough for us getting out of East... This would not only improve them, it would block us...At least, they can raise price of doing business with us...NO just needs to say they prefer Simmons to Tatum so throw in Brown and/Or Smart or no deal....

If Sixers did that trade, they could pick up Rondo in offseason to run the point...Barf!

This was before the deadline, so I would imagine something like Simmons + Fultz + Boban.  Simmons being the prize and the Fultz as a potential project that you can try to spin to your fan base (look we got 2 #1 picks!) with Boban as salary filler.

Fultz isn't on the team anymore  :P

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 07:41:04 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
There's no way that the 76ers could still trade for Davis, unless Butler or Harris has a strange desire to play in New Orleans.
And I can't see any team facilitating a trade either.

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 07:41:21 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

This was before the deadline, so I would imagine something like Simmons + Fultz + Boban.  Simmons being the prize and the Fultz as a potential project that you can try to spin to your fan base (look we got 2 #1 picks!) with Boban as salary filler.

Fultz isn't on the team anymore  :P

When do you think these conversations happened?  In all likelihood Fultz was still on the team when these discussions went down.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 07:42:05 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
There's no way that the 76ers could still trade for Davis, unless Butler or Harris has a strange desire to play in New Orleans.

Also what valuable picks do they have to offer? The OKC 1st they acquired in Fultz deal? What else...

They already dealt away that 2021 Heat Pick.

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 07:48:27 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I'm glad that didn't happen.  Davis and Embiid are going to have a great rivalry once Davis joins the Celtics next season.  It will be better for everyone seeing them face each other rather than playing together.

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 07:51:40 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Also what valuable picks do they have to offer? The OKC 1st they acquired in Fultz deal? What else...

They already dealt away that 2021 Heat Pick.

They could have dealt Zhaire Smith and Jonah Bolden + OKC 1st and like five 2nd rounders.
That's not a ton of value, but New Orleans is trying to find a new potential superstar and there aren't many franchises who can offer that. 

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 08:11:25 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I suppose Simmons has greater trade value than Tatum right now. Playoffs may shift market perception though. It did last year.

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 08:25:07 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I mean, it makes sense but is Bill Simmons  credible source?

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 08:36:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
There is no way the Sixers actually offered up Simmons because if they had, Davis would be a Sixer right now.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip