Poll

Have you ever seen a national broadcast team be so partial to a team they are supposed to be impartial about?

Yes
7 (38.9%)
No
11 (61.1%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Was tonight's Bos-LAL game most biased game call by impartial broadcasters ever?  (Read 3747 times)

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Boston seem to beat LA in every sport but basketball. Why is that. How often do the Celtics sweep them? Every year it's either a split or a Laker sweep.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
No, it was not.

The Celtics played like trash. Chris Webber didn't say anything that wasn't true.
I was talking about how the whole game was called not just some quotes by Webber after the loss. Yes, they played poorly but that doesn't excuse the broadcasters for clearly preferential treatment regarding the teams as the game was being played.

Again, I didn't get that impression. Maybe some are just so used to hearing the Celtics crew on NBC Boston that when it's on TNT, it appears more biased than it really is.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
I thought I was watching a local Laker broadcast

These days these national networks try to drive a narrative instead of be unbiased and the stage was set for a Laker drama - trade talk unrest, getting hammered by Indiana, so the narrative for the night was the Lakers, beset by all kinds of headwinds, to eke our a magical victory against the odds. That’s probably how the producers drew it up.

If the Celtics did their job, there would've only been one narrative. Celtics win, Lakers lose.

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
This is what you're concerned about after a disgraceful performance by the Celtics? You do realize that their comments did not cause this to happen? My suggestion is to do what I do with almost all Celtics, Patriots, and Red Sox games: turn off the volume and listen to whatever kind of music that you like as you watch the game on caption. You don't have to put up with either the local cheerleader broadcasters or the national ones that know less than you do about the Celtics.

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I thought I was watching a local Laker broadcast

These days these national networks try to drive a narrative instead of be unbiased and the stage was set for a Laker drama - trade talk unrest, getting hammered by Indiana, so the narrative for the night was the Lakers, beset by all kinds of headwinds, to eke our a magical victory against the odds. That’s probably how the producers drew it up.

Agree....hard to shake that WWE image.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
No, it was not.

The Celtics played like trash. Chris Webber didn't say anything that wasn't true.
I was talking about how the whole game was called not just some quotes by Webber after the loss. Yes, they played poorly but that doesn't excuse the broadcasters for clearly preferential treatment regarding the teams as the game was being played.

Again, I didn't get that impression. Maybe some are just so used to hearing the Celtics crew on NBC Boston that when it's on TNT, it appears more biased than it really is.
I watch a lot of national games, not just in the NBA but in other sports. I am not one to complain about broadcasters. This game, IMO, was clearly different in how the broadcast team told the story of the game and the teams in it. I think they, again, quite clearly, had bias towards the Lakers.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Boston seem to beat LA in every sport but basketball. Why is that. How often do the Celtics sweep them? Every year it's either a split or a Laker sweep.
the last sweep was 16/17 and it was Boston so I think you are grasping at things that just aren't born in reality
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This is what you're concerned about after a disgraceful performance by the Celtics? You do realize that their comments did not cause this to happen? My suggestion is to do what I do with almost all Celtics, Patriots, and Red Sox games: turn off the volume and listen to whatever kind of music that you like as you watch the game on caption. You don't have to put up with either the local cheerleader broadcasters or the national ones that know less than you do about the Celtics.
You see, I can actually separate my ability to be a Celtic fan with just being a person. I am concerned about neither the Celtics nor the broadcast.

First, I don't worry about Celtic losses. I take Celtic losses better than most people here and don't over react.

Second, it's just something I observed. I am not mad at it. I prefer when watching a national game on a national telecast for the broadcasters to remain impartial. Sure when great plays are made gush over the players whether individually or collectively. But don't fawn over a team and players when they are not playing well.

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
the last sweep was 16/17 and it was Boston so I think you are grasping at things that just aren't born in reality

Yeah and the time before that was 07/08.

Times between? 08/09 LAL SWEEP, 09/10 - split, 10/11 - split, 11/12 - LAL SWEEP, 12/13 - split, 13/14 - LAL SWEEP, 14/15 - split, 15/16 - split, 17/18 - split. They've gotten the best of the Celtics in the past decade.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
That second half felt like a game of hearthstone where opponent top decks the perfect answer each turn and your entire day is ruined. Thumbs up me if you know what I’m talking about.

They’ll never reproduce that performance again.

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I especially liked when Webber said the Celtics should be embarrassed for giving up that big lead.

It’s not like that happens often in the NBA. Glad a winner like C-Webb can explain to us fans what the championship-mentality is about.

He never sniffed a championship in the NBA and let’s not even bring up his claim-to-fame in the NCAA championship game.
CELTICS 2024

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
I especially liked when Webber said the Celtics should be embarrassed for giving up that big lead.

It’s not like that happens often in the NBA. Glad a winner like C-Webb can explain to us fans what the championship-mentality is about.

He never sniffed a championship in the NBA and let’s not even bring up his claim-to-fame in the NCAA championship game.

And he was right.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Didn't Tommy call some of the 80s Celtics-Lakers finals for CBS or whichever network carried it? Feels like a high bar.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Game sucked and was a crappy day overall

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Wow, i always enjoj c webb, and people beed to move on from being sour about this game.
Just listen to what coach BS said after the game. We played poorly, our defense non exisistent. I would bash the celtics from the start of the third qtr.
But still a lot of luck on the laker side, a loose ball saving turns into a three for lebron in the corner, a loose rebound and rondo hits you with a GW...
You cannot play a 260 point game with this team, or atleast you cannot alow them to score half the overall points.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger