Author Topic: 2024 NFL Draft  (Read 29462 times)

Re: 2024 NFL Draft
« Reply #180 on: April 26, 2024, 08:56:34 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3016
  • On To Banner 18!
Polk at 37?!? Why… ugh
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #181 on: April 26, 2024, 10:10:07 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1454
Polk at 37?!? Why… ugh

Who did you want them to take at that spot for a WR? I’m not familiar with Polk, so I don’t have an opinion on him.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #182 on: April 26, 2024, 10:13:17 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 299
What an epic disaster for the Pats 2nd and 3rd round. They reached on both picks. I'm guessing the only reason they picked Maye now, is because virtually every draft analyst essentially made the pick for them. A truly awful day two of the draft, which seems fitting compared to their terrible job with free agency.

I bet Bill Belichick is laughing his a$$ off.

« Reply #183 on: April 26, 2024, 10:18:16 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
Polk at 37?!? Why… ugh

Who did you want them to take at that spot for a WR? I’m not familiar with Polk, so I don’t have an opinion on him.

I think he was projected towards the end of round 2 or a 3rd rounder. The should have picked Adanai Mitchell, an OT, or even one of the CB's that slipped out of the first round.

« Reply #184 on: April 26, 2024, 11:32:33 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Polk at 37?!? Why… ugh

I think he was projected towards the end of round 2 or a 3rd rounder. The should have picked Adanai Mitchell, an OT, or even one of the CB's that slipped out of the first round.

Mitchell does look like a nice prospect. Definitely would have stretched the field for the Pats. 6’2” with a 40” vertical. Ran the 40 in 4.34 secs… Think it’s safe to say that Thornton is a bust for them.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #185 on: April 27, 2024, 08:32:32 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Polk at 37?!? Why… ugh

I would have taken Ladd McConkey at 34, and then traded up a little for Kingsley Suamatala (who KC took at 63, 5 spots ahead of us). I think it's a bit telling AD Mitchell dropped to 52 when many projected him as a late 1st rounder. Polk was seen as someone who could be available 3rd round though. It feels like the Pats reached on both of their 2nd and 3rd round picks last night. Even Wallace was projected to be in the mid-rounds, definitely not as high as #68. Kind of like the Cole Strange situation a few years ago.

The Pats have two picks pretty soon, 103 and 110. They could still add someone like Ja'Tavion Sanders, or another receiver/tackle to double dip at one of those positions at 103. And maybe use the other on a defensive need like CB? They could also trade down with one of them and add more but tbh with many talented guys falling I'd like us to just use those picks and nab two of them to start the 4th round.

« Reply #186 on: April 27, 2024, 09:33:16 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 489
I hope they take Ja'Tavion Sanders. I'm surprised he's still available. A few players are still on the board that were projected in the second or early third. Hopefully they don't get cute with this.
#JKJB

« Reply #187 on: April 27, 2024, 10:01:09 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
I hope they take Ja'Tavion Sanders. I'm surprised he's still available. A few players are still on the board that were projected in the second or early third. Hopefully they don't get cute with this.

Yeah and also, since the Pats have no WR1, it wouldn't hurt to have a TE group of Henry/Hooper/Sanders with Sanders as that young, developing one. I also think Sanders is kind of a "supersized" receiver, which tbh seems to be the trend in the NFL nowadays. Kelce is kind of like that too, can play anywhere and play as a receiver, not just some pass-catcher in the middle of the field strictly.

« Reply #188 on: April 27, 2024, 12:28:23 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Dang, Sanders was the first pick today

And who the hell did the Pats draft?!?!

Ugh. Hope 110 is a WR 

« Reply #189 on: April 27, 2024, 01:23:41 PM »

• Jim Loscutoff

Ugh. Hope 110 is a WR
Baker is a stud. Very worthwhile double dip in the second round. I love that they have invested heavily on the offensive side of the ball. I was worried that we may go heavy defense today given Jerod is the HC. I think our defense is good enough for us to take this direction with our selections.

Also of course Miami ends up with the lightning quick rb who fell a round and a half further than he should be drafted.
#JKJB

« Reply #190 on: April 27, 2024, 02:26:04 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Ugh. Hope 110 is a WR
Baker is a stud. Very worthwhile double dip in the second round. I love that they have invested heavily on the offensive side of the ball. I was worried that we may go heavy defense today given Jerod is the HC. I think our defense is good enough for us to take this direction with our selections.

Also of course Miami ends up with the lightning quick rb who fell a round and a half further than he should be drafted.

What’s your scouting report on him? I was hoping the Pats would take Tez Walker. He has good size and speed to stretch the field at 6’2” with a 4.36 sec 40 time. Polk and Baker seem to have just average speed. Also, would have given Maye a familiar target as they played together the last year at UNC. Walker ended up going 3 picks later to Baltimore.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2024, 03:00:13 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #191 on: April 27, 2024, 04:21:13 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
LOL  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/1784274520825622532?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Javon Baker to Patriots fans on his game: “Come to the home stadium and bring your popcorn. That’s all I can tell you all. Bring your popcorn — I make people in wheelchairs stand up.”

I'm glad we have a receiver with an edge and one that's a bit cocky. Feels like we've needed one for ages. Lets be real, almost every star WR is a diva in some ways. As long as you aren't truly crazy/mental like an Antonio Brown, it's fine.

Adding Polk + Baker to Douglas/Bourne/Osborn is really good. And two more O-Lineman to beef it up hopefully. I can't imagine it'll be worse than last season, and once guys fully develop including Maye in a year or two, there's a lot of potential with the offense. It's cool to see all of their first 5 picks on offense, Wolf has done a pretty fine job.

Maybe he reached on Polk and Wallace but if they can contribute then fine by me. I'm feeling more confident about the Pats after this Draft, and I'm kind of glad they picked with conviction and didn't really get cute anywhere. A lot will depend on Maye's development but I like that they also seemingly are trying to help out the QB by adding two receivers and 2 O-lineman.

« Reply #192 on: April 27, 2024, 04:22:15 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
Based on the Pats off-season so far, another top 3 pick in the 2025 draft, feels like a lock.

« Reply #193 on: April 27, 2024, 04:33:09 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2541
LOL  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/1784274520825622532?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Javon Baker to Patriots fans on his game: “Come to the home stadium and bring your popcorn. That’s all I can tell you all. Bring your popcorn — I make people in wheelchairs stand up.”

I'm glad we have a receiver with an edge and one that's a bit cocky. Feels like we've needed one for ages. Lets be real, almost every star WR is a diva in some ways. As long as you aren't truly crazy/mental like an Antonio Brown, it's fine.

Adding Polk + Baker to Douglas/Bourne/Osborn is really good. And two more O-Lineman to beef it up hopefully. I can't imagine it'll be worse than last season, and once guys fully develop including Maye in a year or two, there's a lot of potential with the offense. It's cool to see all of their first 5 picks on offense, Wolf has done a pretty fine job.

Maybe he reached on Polk and Wallace but if they can contribute then fine by me. I'm feeling more confident about the Pats after this Draft, and I'm kind of glad they picked with conviction and didn't really get cute anywhere.
There’s at least something exciting about the idea of Maye, Douglas, Polk, and Baker.  Pop is a somewhat known entity after a nice, though injury-riddled season. The other three are young and unknown - thus, interesting.  If Maye proves himself worthy of getting on the field this year, we are going to have some interesting games.  Who knows re: the O-line - I hope we get some surprises there.  Rhamondre, Henry, Bourne can make noise.  I do wish they had a #1 receiver and a standout left tackle but maybe a trade or FA next year.  Onwenu.

« Reply #194 on: April 27, 2024, 04:48:45 PM »

• Jim Loscutoff

Ugh. Hope 110 is a WR

What’s your scouting report on him? I was hoping the Pats would take Tez Walker. He has good size and speed to stretch the field at 6’2” with a 4.36 sec 40 time. Polk and Baker seem to have just average speed. Also, would have given Maye a familiar target as they played together the last year at UNC. Walker ended up going 3 picks later to Baltimore.
He has delusional confidence, and great hands. Has adequate speed and seems to get open alot. Catches everything though. Getting him a round or two after he was supposed to go is huge
#JKJB