Author Topic: Who else is worried about our "slow starts"?  (Read 8319 times)

Re: Who else worried about our "slow starts"?
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 12:32:14 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Awareness of rather than concerned about at this stage ... if it continues then I'll become concerned about it.

i agree with "awareness"......i would also like them to think about it in terms of another great team which very slowly became a team that didn't play focused the whole game:

the Detroit Pistons.

they became a team that was tremendous at closing out games, but i think they started to rely on that ability and it hurt them in establishing their legacy as a truly great team (the great team that i really think they were) and winning another Title. ...

although, i think this Cs team is different and actually better, but it still is something to be aware of...
To be fair to the Pistons, they went took the Spurs a very close seven game series. They easily could have won that year. San Antonio was a great team as well though. After that however the cracks began to show in attitude and effort in my opinion.

also coinciding with the departure of Brown....but yeah they battled that year and then started to lose their edge...

this years Lakeshow could be that Spurs team. they look really freaking good...
Yes they do, they clearly have the potential to be a great team. One that will challenge us severely in the Finals if both teams make it.

I figured the Lakers and Celtics would meet again in the finals. We'll just have to see which team is the best at the end. They look to be the deeper team right now. But I have my doubts whether they'll keep up their enhanced defensive effort. They weren't a bad defensive team last year, but they aren't as good as they've seemed so far this year.

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 02:35:16 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Std_Div.html

As long as we're at the top
there's no need to worry.
Guys WILL be clicking come
playoff time...

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 03:24:34 AM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Std_Div.html

As long as we're at the top
there's no need to worry.
Guys WILL be clicking come
playoff time...

TP to my boy for summing it up, short and sweet. My only worry is everyone staying healthy. Yep, that's it.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 08:44:27 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I'm still a little worried. It takes a lot of energy to come back night in and night out. It forces the starters to play a lot of minutes, and tire themselves out. Blowouts mean our guys get to rest early and the young guys get to play. Just because we can dig ourselves a hole and climb back out doesn't mean we have to every game.

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 08:47:56 AM »

Offline xChopsx

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 1
C's will be fine. Everyone will do theyre part. I just want to see better and improving offense from Rondo. Maybe see a 10 ppg this year?

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2008, 10:54:47 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
PP is worried. Two straight games he has mentioned it in post-game. Defensive intensity needs to pick up from the opening bell.

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2008, 08:45:07 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I am a bit worried. Here is why..

Point differential is I think the best indicator of your teams chances in the playoffs. With these slow starts we are eeking out alot of close wins while teams like the Lakers are dominating. History shows that teams that dominate win finals.

The Celtics were just OWNING the league last year. Their 10+ point differential was one of the better ones in history and why I really truly thought that they would win it all last year despite the Atlanta series and Cleveland series..

Pete

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2008, 09:05:34 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I'm a little worried. The intensity needs to be there from the off and they need to maintain it. I'd like to see that tonight.

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2008, 09:57:02 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I'm not worried at all at this point.  We are still playing well enough to win games, and honestly, I was worried about burnout last year starting with the first preseason game in which KG pulled down like 20 rebounds.  I think it is going to become more necessary as the big 3 get older to coast a little against the bad teams.  The Spurs perfected this.  Their intensity grew as the season went on and they peaked in the playoffs.  As long as the  Celts bring the intesity in the big games and when they need to, I'm fine with it at this point in the season.

Re: Who else is worried about our "slow starts"?
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2008, 11:14:24 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Okay so I thought I would just repeat my former post(whick I was as far from being correct about as a person can posssibly be) and say that with the Nuggets traveling and being on the back end of a back to back and with the Celtics seeing what a strain it is on the team to start slow, that the C's will come out strong tonight and a blowout will ensue.

Yes, I know I said the same thing about the Hawks but I'm bound to be right one of these days.

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2008, 12:29:56 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591
I'm a liitle nervous. It's not that I don't think they are not as good as they were last year, it just seems that they don't have the intensity.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2008, 12:38:56 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
I don't like how they seem to play slow the beginning of games and then I guess "turn it on" at the end.  It makes for exciting basketball yes, but getting into this habit will not be beneficial come playoff time.  Don't be the 2005/2006/2007 pistons.

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2008, 05:09:21 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
I'm worried.

I want the C's to put games away early so they can rest the starters.

I also want the C's to dominate....but mostly at home.

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2008, 06:21:45 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I'm worried about the poor play that results in the slow starts.  The biggest reason I can see is settling for jump shots after only one or two passes.

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2008, 06:37:48 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I'm worried about the poor play that results in the slow starts.  The biggest reason I can see is settling for jump shots after only one or two passes.
I think our defense has been a big problem to start.

Maybe success has led to some guys coasting at the start of games. That could explain the open jumpers Atlanta and Milwaukee had at the start of their games.