Author Topic: 2010 Olympic Winter Games  (Read 35023 times)

2010 Olympic Winter Games
« on: February 13, 2010, 05:07:28 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
A thread for general discussion/news pertaining to the 2010 Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

Link to schedule of all events:

http://www.vancouver2010.com/

2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

Re: 2010 Olympic Winter Games
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 05:09:07 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I personally love the Olympics ... the opening ceremonies were absolutely amazing! Steve Nash and Wayne Gretzky carried the torch in it's last legs and helped light the cauldron, which rose in separate columns of "ice" from the floor of the main arena ... pretty cool to watch. Such a shame that these games had to begin under the veil of such tragedy ... I pray they end in a better fashion. GO USA!!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 05:48:54 AM by Bahku »

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »

Offline RonnieG

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
I am american, and have no bias towards anyone in the Olympics, but, so far not so good for Vancouver. The death of this young athlete is a TRAGEDY and they are saying it's not their fault. I understand they have to say that, but people are wiping out left and right over there, it's ridiculous. No padding on the metal poles at the end of the fastest luge track? Why not? If it's not their fault, why pad the poles and raise the ice now? You just said it's not your fault but you're going to make changes?

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 10:23:24 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I am american, and have no bias towards anyone in the Olympics, but, so far not so good for Vancouver. The death of this young athlete is a TRAGEDY and they are saying it's not their fault. I understand they have to say that, but people are wiping out left and right over there, it's ridiculous. No padding on the metal poles at the end of the fastest luge track? Why not? If it's not their fault, why pad the poles and raise the ice now? You just said it's not your fault but you're going to make changes?

I thought it was pretty riduculous that they didn't have padding on those metal poles.

I watched the horrific video of the accident and it seems like if the track is running that fast and the walls arent that high, that its just a no-brainer to have padding on those supports.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 10:26:03 AM »

Offline RonnieG

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6

I thought it was pretty riduculous that they didn't have padding on those metal poles.

I watched the horrific video of the accident and it seems like if the track is running that fast and the walls arent that high, that its just a no-brainer to have padding on those supports.

I just don't get why they would say "It's not the tracks fault" and then go out and raise the wall and pad the beams (which should have been done anyway). It is absolutely tragic, words can't express how awful it is.

How did you find the video?

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 01:10:02 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I'm amazed with the speed-skating short-track relays ... it's complete chaos on ice ... I really have a great amount of admiration for their ability to NOT get completely confused. My favorite event is aerials, then freestyle moguls, as I used to compete in freestyle competition, back following the days of Wayne Wong. One of my old skiing buddies from my town studied with Wayne and is now an "Extreme Skiing" movie producer/director, Greg Stump ... we were crazy back then, pushing the envelope, but what they're doing now on skis is just amazing.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 09:21:53 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Bode Miller gets Bronze in Men's Downhill, with first place and third separated by 0.09/second ... amazing. He began his career at Carrabassett Valley Academy at Sugarloaf ... my old winter haunt. ;)

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 09:33:12 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I don't think they could put enough padding to matter for the speed he was going at.

The impact destroyed his neck/head.

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 09:38:26 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I'm Canadian and I think the track is too fast and the poles should have padding. Also didn't like the response from our head Olympic honcho Dick Pound.

Love speed skating too. Looking forward to the hockey.

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 12:16:38 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Another "Maine-ah" and Carrabassett Valley Academy alum, Seth Wescott, wins an Olympic Gold Metal in Snow-Board-Cross ... sweet! Sugarloaf has produced so many of the world's dominant athletes in snow sports, and deservedly so. Go USA!

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 03:03:05 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I love that the USA is an underdog to Canada and Germany in hockey, but Ryan Miller is going to have to step-it-up big time, especially after losing some of our D right before tournament. Man, I would LOVE to see this team dominate ... and shock the home-team crowd. First up: Switzerland ... we'll see. ;)

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 03:07:38 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Finally got to see some curling during my lunch break today. Love that sport. So mesmerizing.

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 03:12:56 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Finally got to see some curling during my lunch break today. Love that sport. So mesmerizing.

Yeah ... US has a young team but they did OK in their opener against a very experienced German team.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 03:14:17 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
The US has got to get the puck up off the ice with their SsOG against this Swiss goalie ... always on his knees.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 03:20:03 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Let's see if they can convert on this power play. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team