Author Topic: Kaufman PG Tweets/Woj Stuff (Merged)  (Read 18528 times)

Kaufman PG Tweets/Woj Stuff (Merged)
« on: June 23, 2017, 08:58:33 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
Sorry if this should have gone in an already started thread, but I feel this is significant enough to have its own.

Via Adam Kaufman: " Take this FWIW, Hearing #Celtics in position to deal 4 George with 3-yr ext in place, but will depend on signing Hayward 1st. Lotsa dominos."

I follow him and twitter, and he tweets ALOT about the celts. Not sure how plugged in he is though.

Re: Kaufman PG Tweets/Woj Stuff (Merged)
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 09:00:35 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
There is no way this is true.  The Celtics would need to have the cap room to give George an extension after trading for him.  They can do that without Hayward, but cannot possibly do that after signing Hayward.

100% Fake.

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 09:03:30 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
There is no way this is true.  The Celtics would need to have the cap room to give George an extension after trading for him.  They can do that without Hayward, but cannot possibly do that after signing Hayward.

100% Fake.

I am not a cap master like you are, but if we match salaries and re-sign him at the end of the season we don't have enough room? Also, this guy is a Boston media guy, so I wouldn't classify it as fake, he's hearing it from somewhere, that's why he's reporting it. That doesn't make it true though.

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 09:08:54 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136

100% Fake.

How so?.. I thought we'd have his bird rights which means signing him with an extension wouldn't matter if we go even over the cap?..am I right regardless of whether we get Hayward or Griffin or not.

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 09:14:02 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

100% Fake.

This is 100% nonsense.

Why couldn't we sign him to an extension if we trade for him.

This makes no sense

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 09:14:07 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

100% Fake.

I am not a cap master like you are, but if we match salaries and re-sign him at the end of the season we don't have enough room? Also, this guy is a Boston media guy, so I wouldn't classify it as fake, he's hearing it from somewhere, that's why he's reporting it. That doesn't make it true though.

We can't have a 3-year extension in place at the end of next year. That's illegal.  And that's not what he's saying.  "A 3-year extension in place" means he's going to be traded and given a new contract as part of the trade, (like what we did with KG 10 years ago.)

It's fake.  Either this dude is an idiot who passes along whatever he hears without evaluating it, or he made it up himself.  I'll lower my fake rating to 99%, because it's doable if we trade Horford, and we'll be charitable and say there's a 1% chance Horford gets traded to make this thing happen.  But only 1%.

Otherwise, you could literally trade Tatum, Brown, Smart, Crowder, and Bradley and still not have the cap room to do this.  That's how impossible it is.  It's not close but difficult.  It's simply not happening, because there is no way for it to happen in the CBA.

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 09:15:43 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Bradley/Crowder who else to match salaries? It'd probably be a puu puu platter of yabusele's and mickeys

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 09:18:43 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

100% Fake.

We can't have a 3-year extension in place at the end of next year. That's illegal.  And that's not what he's saying.  "A 3-year extension in place" means he's going to be traded and given a new contract as part of the trade, (like what we did with KG 10 years ago.)

It's fake.  Either this dude is an idiot who passes along whatever he hears without evaluating it, or he made it up himself.  I'll lower my fake rating to 99%, because it's doable if we trade Horford, and we'll be charitable and say there's a 1% chance Horford gets traded to make this thing happen.  But only 1%.

Otherwise, you could literally trade Tatum, Brown, Smart, Crowder, and Bradley and still not have the cap room to do this.  That's how impossible it is.  It's not close but difficult.  It's simply not happening, because there is no way for it to happen in the CBA.

It's possible if we are passing on Hayward/Griffin. And using some money to resign smart for example.

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 09:20:49 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
He's already Under contract for this season, why would we need cap space to sign an extension?

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 09:22:32 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

100% Fake.

It's possible if we are passing on Hayward/Griffin. And using some money to resign smart for example.

That's not what this "rumor" said. It's totally possible to sign Hayward and trade for George without an extension.  It's possible to not sign a max FA and trade for George with an extension.

But this made up thing that everyone wants to believe is not possible.  We cannot sign Hayward AND extend-and-trade for George.

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 09:24:01 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
He's already Under contract for this season, why would we need cap space to sign an extension?

Because he's not signing an extension that gives him less than the max, and the most you can extend without using cap space is an extra 20%, which is about $7 million less than he'd make as a FA next summer.

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 09:26:03 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

100% Fake.

Is an extend-and-trade not possible in this situation? It would limit the raises he would be eligible for, though, so I guess that makes it extremely unlikely.  Paul George would have to be stupid to agree to an extend-and-trade deal that paid him 3/$64 million (edit: maybe more, but the point is it's way less than he could get in FA) when he could get way more in free agency (with the added benefit of picking where he wants to play).  Renegotiating his contract is the only thing that makes sense from his perspective.

So, yeah, I'd agree that there's a 0% chance it happens.  It's not impossible, it's just a horrible deal from PG's perspective unless we have cap space to renegotiate his contract, in which case it makes no sense for him
I'm bitter.

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 09:27:10 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

Because he's not signing an extension that gives him less than the max, and the most you can extend without using cap space is an extra 20%, which is about $7 million less than he'd make as a FA next summer.

Durant did it
Lebron,Wade and Bosh did it to form a super team
Lebron did it again to go back to cle.

Why is it out of the question if he really wants to win.

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 09:27:27 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum

100% Fake.

One more question to throw at you, and it's for the sake of discussion, not trying to prove you wrong. Are you saying that DA can't talk to an agent of a prospective player acquired through a trade if Indy gives them permission?

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 09:31:14 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Durant did it
Lebron,Wade and Bosh did it to form a super team
Lebron did it again to go back to cle.

Why is it out of the question if he really wants to win.

No.  Durant, LeBron, Wade, and Bosh combined didn't give up $7 million in 1 year of a deal, much less to sign to a team they were just traded to.  That's an absurd comparison.